Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Babysitter

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 6:58 pm
Should I pay my babysitter?? I haven't worked in 2 weeks. So she didn't watch my baby. I only pay her per hour. As oppose to me that I just get a flat monthly pay check.
Do I pay her as if she worked?
I know it's before pesach and this is her income that she relies on.
Do I pay for a service I didn't use??????

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 7:06 pm
This is probably a question for a rabbi.

My opinion is if you can you should pay her something. My nanny is not working now. We are usually a two income household but only one of us is working now so I am giving her half her regular pay for as long as I can hack it...

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 7:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Should I pay my babysitter?? I haven't worked in 2 weeks. So she didn't watch my baby. I only pay her per hour. As oppose to me that I just get a flat monthly pay check.
Do I pay her as if she worked?
I know it's before pesach and this is her income that she relies on.
Do I pay for a service I didn't use??????

I wouldn't think if it that way.

Be kind.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 7:35 pm
If you usually have your baby there for 32 hours a week, but one week your kid isn't feeling well so you kept him home for 2 days, do you pay her for 16 hours that week or the full 32?

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:33 pm
I pay my babysitter by the hour.
If my baby doesn’t come one week because we are away, I don’t pay her. If she’s on vacation I don’t pay her etc
So, no, I haven’t been paying her.
(I did give her a tip for Purim the last day my baby went to her (she didn’t work on Purim or shushan Purim but the next day - Thursday, she did..)

I understand if people want to pay as an extra chesed, and if they can float the money, I think it’s a very nice to thing to do.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:33 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
If you usually have your baby there for 32 hours a week, but one week your kid isn't feeling well so you kept him home for 2 days, do you pay her for 16 hours that week or the full 32?

For me, I only pay her for the 16 hours.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:40 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I pay my babysitter by the hour.
If my baby doesn’t come one week because we are away, I don’t pay her. If she’s on vacation I don’t pay her etc
So, no, I haven’t been paying her.
(I did give her a tip for Purim the last day my baby went to her (she didn’t work on Purim or shushan Purim but the next day - Thursday, she did..)

I understand if people want to pay as an extra chesed, and if they can float the money, I think it’s a very nice to thing to do.

Same. I have not worked in three weeks and have no idea when I will be able to work again. I'm not paid for time that I don't work, so I certainly don't have the means to pay my babysitter. I purposely have a babysitter who is fine with this arrangement because my budget is so tight. In general if I'm the one to cancel I give her something anyway, not the full amount. This is different though, and way too open ended to pay indefinitely.

realsilver

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:05 pm
I have the exact same situation. I am still working a bit from home and getting my full paycheck ( plus a pesach bonus) and my babysitter didn't work at all.
I just sent her a few hundred dollar check.
Think of it as a pesach bonus...
I think it's only fair!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:37 pm
It's a nice thing to do, but don't feel bad if you can't. There's no need to pile on your stress. Times are tough.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:42 pm
If you have maser money, ask a Rav if you could allocate it for the babysitter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics