Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
This is why we're angry
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 11:56 pm
I can't figure out what's going on in people's brains.
We've had a few close deaths in the family- cousins, mechutanim, close friends, people my whole family knows.
Yet my youngest sister is still splitting Pesach between her inlaws (who live in a different city) and my parents.
I was yelling at her. I said don't you see how serious this is? I told her I didn't step out of my house for 3 weeks and I wash every single item that gets delivered to my house. And you're traveling?!
She laughed it off and said everyone does their own type of hishtadlus. What is that even supposed to mean? Banging head

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 3:16 am
Her in laws & your parents should refuse to have her
Me & dh are alone with My SN child.
Said no to hosting my married kids & grandkids

No is no is no.
Everyone must act responsibly.
Once one decides, we will have a beautiful yom tov imh. As long as my loved ones are healthy, in the big picture I don’t care where we are all this yom tov. Is is really worth the risk?
People are dying. How small minded of some people- parents & children alike.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 5:26 am
Im pregnant and in my 9th month . We had been planning to go to my parents but cancelled as soon as we saw where this was going. Parents still hosting younger siblings Rolling Eyes
My husband does haircuts as a side buisness , I was pretty nervous from the start because a) he has diabetes b)all my other's have been preemies. Adding the risk of c"v catching the virus is beyond terrifying.
Anyways, he massively reduced his clientelle and said he would work with gloves and masks etc but this is when the true colours of people come through. He posted a whatsapp status that all haircuts this season have been cancelled . Those on whatsapp are in the know about whats really going on with the virus and he still had 'friends' push him that they need a haircut even when he explained that im due any time now...
We live oot and another friend came to his second home in our area for shabbos hagodol and begged my husband for a haircut. He thought it was just this guy and boys that needed haircuts but when he got there 3 son in laws were also expecting a haircut. They made shabbos hagodol like every other year with extended family; daughters , sons in laws and kids. How selfish Punch Can't Believe It And these are ppl that I thought were smart!

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 5:54 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
If you are in isolation and alive, not dead from suicide, you don't understand the full extent to which the isolation can harm people.

I'm sorry, that's not a justification for violating social distancing guidelines.

You don't put millions of lives at risk because you feel like you're about to kill yourself if you don't.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 5:55 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
According to the selfies taken every couple of days in Target promoting her idea of self care, no. It wouldn't bug me as much if she didn't preach how precious this time with her children has been and how I should try to look at it that way too. But ugh, I can't hear it anymore.

Why is Target even open???

And can you report her for violating guidelines?

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 5:56 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I can't figure out what's going on in people's brains.
We've had a few close deaths in the family- cousins, mechutanim, close friends, people my whole family knows.
Yet my youngest sister is still splitting Pesach between her inlaws (who live in a different city) and my parents.
I was yelling at her. I said don't you see how serious this is? I told her I didn't step out of my house for 3 weeks and I wash every single item that gets delivered to my house. And you're traveling?!
She laughed it off and said everyone does their own type of hishtadlus. What is that even supposed to mean? Banging head

It means she thinks she's exempt.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 6:18 am
I dont understand why ppl are busy what others are doing? Do what you feel is right, and stop checking on your neighbors! Do you otherwise manage their problems?!

Dont tell me it affects you. Bc supposedly the ones that get affected are the ones that are exposed...

And if MTA subway is packed with ppl (non- jews btw), and the govt has not shut down non essential stores, you cant control the entire nation.

So stop judging others. Im just sick of that.

ora_43

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 6:29 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I'm sorry, that's not a justification for violating social distancing guidelines.

You don't put millions of lives at risk because you feel like you're about to kill yourself if you don't.

Of course it's a justification!! It's more than reasonable to put an immediate, definite threat to your own life over a potential, much smaller threat to someone else's life.

People very much should still be leaving home when necessary to get emergency medical treatment, including emergency psychological care.

To be clear, I'm talking about someone who is depressed or suicidal either seeking medical care, or - if they have no covid-19 symptoms - having one person/family who they interact with. Not about, say, someone who knows they have covid-19 but goes out to see friends anyway, because social interaction is important for mental health.

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 6:35 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I dont understand why ppl are busy what others are doing? Do what you feel is right, and stop checking on your neighbors! Do you otherwise manage their problems?!

Dont tell me it affects you. Bc supposedly the ones that get affected are the ones that are exposed...

And if MTA subway is packed with ppl (non- jews btw), and the govt has not shut down non essential stores, you cant control the entire nation.

So stop judging others. Im just sick of that.

Of course it affects others. You can infect others (or get infected).

Even if nobody I know catches it directly from you or the relatives you are selfishly visiting, you are cpotentially ontributing to the caseload, which means more patients lining up for those precious xenrillators, and an even longer times before policy makers decide everybody can get back to work and revive the economy.

Now is a time when everyone needs to fight together, not go AWOL and jeopardize the battle.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 6:38 am
ora_43 wrote:
Of course it's a justification!! It's more than reasonable to put an immediate, definite threat to your own life over a potential, much smaller threat to someone else's life.

People very much should still be leaving home when necessary to get emergency medical treatment, including emergency psychological care.

To be clear, I'm talking about someone who is depressed or suicidal either seeking medical care, or - if they have no covid-19 symptoms - having one person/family who they interact with. Not about, say, someone who knows they have covid-19 but goes out to see friends anyway, because social interaction is important for mental health.

Are we talking about leaving for emergency psychological care? Because that's not against guidelines. You're allowed to leave for medical care.

If we're talking about going wherever you want, because otherwise you might kill yourself - no, sorry, that's not a justification for breaking the guidelines.

Obviously in either case, if the person was exposed to a COVID-19 carrier or has symptoms of COVID-19, then they should not leave the house, no matter what, period.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 7:35 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Are we talking about leaving for emergency psychological care? Because that's not against guidelines. You're allowed to leave for medical care.

If we're talking about going wherever you want, because otherwise you might kill yourself - no, sorry, that's not a justification for breaking the guidelines.

Obviously in either case, if the person was exposed to a COVID-19 carrier or has symptoms of COVID-19, then they should not leave the house, no matter what, period.

Wow. I am one of the Floridians who has been posting on all the threads to stay home. I think pple traveling is the utmost selfishness with a bit of stupidity.
But you are so off base.
Mental health is a real issue. Isolation augmenting these issues a real secondary effect. People who are feeling suicidal are brave for seeking help and should not think twice about it. This whole situation is a case in probability and risk-benefit analysis. By social distancing, I reduce the probability of contracting and transmitting disease. On average, the risks of this are less than the risk of letting disease run rampant so we do it. But for an individual- other factors may cause risks to increase. E.g, if you’re having a heart attack, your risk of isolation shots up higher than that of not social distancing so you seek medical care. Same with mental health. If someone is suicidal or experiencing other severe mental issues, they should seek help like a cardiac patient. That includes even if they were exposed - although obviously they should inform their care provider.

I don’t think anyone with real mental health issues is talking about going wherever they want. I get that maybe you were addressing them but you should be really careful about how your words could be interpreted by vulnerable people. The stupid selfish people who can’t see past their own noses are not listening anyways.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 7:39 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Her in laws & your parents should refuse to have her
..snip

Yeah that would be nice, wouldn't it? They apparently have the same mindset otherwise they wouldn't host.
I keep on hearing "di ebishter darf helfen", basically it's all bashert.

Simple1

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 7:42 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:

What? If someone is actually suicidal, a shaila should be asked as well as consulting a doctor. Is her life less important? Which is at immediate risk, as opposed to a potential risk.

With a little seichel and professional guidance, there can be a solution. Like maybe she needs to stick with one designated person or family she interacts with.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 8:53 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Why is Target even open???

And can you report her for violating guidelines?

Target sells essential items as well as non essential items. Most Target stores have a pharmacy.
My Medicare plan covers me at the Walmart pharmacy. I am terrified to go into the store so I was texted that they will bring the medicine out when I need more.
It would take some sophisticated tracking to determine if people are taking advantage of outings to big box stores that are open but I am sure that it's entertainment for many bored people.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 8:58 am
A lot of psychological care is being given via telemedicine.

octopus

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 9:02 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I haven't left my home in almost a month and a lady on my block keeps walking by when people sit outside on their porch to discuss how blissful this time has been for her, how Hashem has given her this precious gift with her children and taken away all distractions, aren't we all sooo appreciative and grateful? LADY, I SEE YOUR INSTAGRAM AND YOU'RE IN TARGET EVERY OTHER DAY PICKING OUT NEW HOME DECOR AS A WAY OF 'SELF CARE'. This is NOT quarantine, stay home you doofus.

This makes me so angry. And what about the silly person that had to send a WhatsApp message to the whole Jewish world to thank the corona virus for teaching her emuna. How about just keep quiet??? If you learned a lesson , doesn't mean you need to send it our to the rest of the world. There are people dying. People sitting Shiva that can't sit normally. Its just the height of insensitivity. Siyag l'chachma shtika.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 9:04 am
southernbubby wrote:
Target sells essential items as well as non essential items. Most Target stores have a pharmacy.
My Medicare plan covers me at the Walmart pharmacy. I am terrified to go into the store so I was texted that they will bring the medicine out when I need more.
It would take some sophisticated tracking to determine if people are taking advantage of outings to big box stores that are open but I am sure that it's entertainment for many bored people.

Got it, thanks.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 9:06 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
If you are in isolation and alive, not dead from suicide, you don't understand the full extent to which the isolation can harm people.

We're all in isolation and alive. Next.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 9:13 am
southernbubby wrote:

They can do that with the computers they already have. Target and Walmart are off limits except for essentials in some states. They rope off the area's that aren't food or medicine.

amother
White

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 9:16 am
OP, yes!

I have a relative who is an ER doctor. He is begging everyone to please stay home. He is begging you. The doctors are begging you. The rabbanim have decreed. How much clearer can it be??

More people around each other - - > more virus cases - - > medical resource shortage (staff, ventilators, proper care and follow up, etc) - - > deaths that could have been avoided had those people stayed home.

I'm not sure what's so hard to understand. Stay home unless absolutely necessary to go out. That literally means you, the newlywed (mazel tov!). And you, the postpartum mom (mazel tov!). And you, the one bored at home. And you, and you and you. Yes, even you. Literally, it means everyone. THIS IS THE HISHTADLUS!!! Stay home.

(And probably not so nice to say, but I feel it anyway, at the very least, someone who does not respect the quarantine, should not be able to use medical resources if the need should cv arise.)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics