Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Kimpeturin meals
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 9:12 am
I live oot and I'm asking for a friend. Due right after yom tov beH. This won't be her first. No parents in town and her mother will probably NOT be able to come in. Is there any organization that does meal trains or sets up meals for two weeks for kimpeturins? Especially under these circumstances? Thanks!

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 9:35 am
Her husband will be home. He can make meals or sandwiches. There is takeout with delivery.

I never understand these questions.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 9:39 am
This is community dependent. In my community the shul sends out an email and people can sigh up. Also a friend of the new mom might post a link on Facebook.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 9:43 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Her husband will be home. He can make meals or sandwiches. There is takeout with delivery.

I never understand these questions.

Excuse me this is not helpful and very rude. If you don't understand this question, don't reply to this thread.
Bh most communities have meal trains or bikur cholim sending meals for women that just gave birth. Bh for this tremendous chesed.

sky

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 9:51 am
Biker cholim May do it - they are really responding. Or they may have ideas of orgs that go this.

https://eimleah.org/application/ - I don’t know if they are active now.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 9:54 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Excuse me this is not helpful and very rude. If you don't understand this question, don't reply to this thread.
Bh most communities have meal trains or bikur cholim sending meals for women that just gave birth. Bh for this tremendous chesed.

Thanks!
I live OOT and the bolded is true. I'm sure that Lakewood is so big that it isn't feasible for a chesed organization to take care of everyone. It just seems like under the circumstances, someone might be seizing a special chesed opportunity for these next few months.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 9:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks!
I live OOT and the bolded is true. I'm sure that Lakewood is so big that it isn't feasible for a chesed organization to take care of everyone. It just seems like under the circumstances, someone might be seizing a special chesed opportunity for these next few months.

Every mosad or community/neighborhood tends to have their own meal train set up. Maybe ask around her neighbors or relatives. Ask about various bikur cholim organizations.

groovy1224

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 9:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I live oot and I'm asking for a friend. Due right after yom tov beH. This won't be her first. No parents in town and her mother will probably NOT be able to come in. Is there any organization that does meal trains or sets up meals for two weeks for kimpeturins? Especially under these circumstances? Thanks!

Her friends can organize a meal train, and just order her takeout to be delivered instead of preparing the meals themselves.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:01 am
Theres an organization delivering suppers 3 times a week. Theres a small charge. Emergency supper service 7325268700. I dont know if they'll still be doing it after pesach but you can ask.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:18 am
These are exceptional times and I would imagine many *organizations* are overwhelmed.

As has been suggested, take it upon yourself to BE the organizer. Ask your friend for her friends and relatives and organize your own meal train. There are websites in which this can be set up and organized by individual groups of friends and family.

If her parents and other family members live out of town, they can arrange for take out to be delivered. Perhaps there is one person who lives IN the community who can pick up and deliver the takeout food. The food can either be prepaid or the organizer can have payment sent through PayPal or Venmo.

Food don't have to be gourmet. You can make a decent lunch or breakfast with bread, jam, cheese. There is precooked fish or sliced turkey/chicken/beef; deli meats; hot dogs; cheese, frozen pizza. bagged salads; containers of soup; frozen veggies that just need to be nuked in a microwave container. Someone could drop off a box of items like this.

There are also kosher caterers that ship frozen meals and family can send those to your friend as well.

Just because there aren't people in the woman's community who are able to cook a hot meal and deliver it every evening doesn't mean that there isn't a way to ensure that the family is provided with food that isn't difficult to prepare.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:19 am
Just had baby, C-section.. I came home and surprised myself by being able to make make breakfast. I thought I'd need to order breakfast every morning and so far haven't needed to. It helps to have things around kind bagels, Greek yogurt, hemp seeds and fruit to add to yogurt-frozen good too.
I've been making eggs, using cream cheese..
Cut up lettuce from store PKG with feta and croutons is super easy too.
All these things dh should be able to do as well. Wakes up and prep for you first and then worry about everything else.

The key is simple and to eat breakfast. Makes such a difference to eat breakfast.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:21 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Just had baby, C-section.. I came home and surprised myself by being able to make make breakfast. I thought I'd need to order breakfast every morning and so far haven't needed to. It helps to have things around kind bagels, Greek yogurt, hemp seeds and fruit to add to yogurt-frozen good too.
I've been making eggs, using cream cheese..
Cut up lettuce from store PKG with feta and croutons is super easy too.
All these things dh should be able to do as well. Wakes up and prep for you first and then worry about everything else.

The key is simple and to eat breakfast. Makes such a difference to eat breakfast.

Breakfast for a kimperurin isn't dinner for a family.
I was never able to cook dinner after birth and I needed proper meals for dinner to have strength, not breakfast types of food.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:35 am
Breakfast for a kimperurin isn't dinner for a family.
I was never able to cook dinner after birth and I needed proper meals for dinner to have strength, not breakfast types of food.

A proper meal is one that is nutritious and is balanced in terms of containing protein, carbs and veggies plus fruit.

There is no reason that this has to be a gourmet meal in order for one to get strength.

I am not saying that it isn't nice to have a *restaurant* type of entree but given the circumstances, there are ways for the kimperurin and husband to eat well in the sense of having tasty nutritional food albeit not necessarily a hot home cooked meal delivered by family or a different person every evening.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:38 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
A proper meal is one that is nutritious and is balanced in terms of containing protein, carbs and veggies plus fruit.

There is no reason that this has to be a gourmet meal in order for one to get strength.

I am not saying that it isn't nice to have a *restaurant* type of entree but given the circumstances, there are ways for the kimperurin and husband to eat well in the sense of having tasty nutritional food albeit not necessarily a hot home cooked meal delivered by family or a different person every evening.

Who said anything about gourmet?? A bagel and salad is ok for breakfast. For dinner I need a normal chicken meal. Normal doesn't mean gourmet. Chicken and potatoes and maybe a soup doesn't mean gourmet. It's just normal food.
You're making it sound as if this huge chessed of sending meals is a bad thing. What's the big deal of sending a hearty meal to a neighbor?

sky

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:43 am
Notsobusy wrote:
Theres an organization delivering suppers 3 times a week. Theres a small charge. Emergency supper service 7325268700. I dont know if they'll still be doing it after pesach but you can ask.

https://www.essmeals.com/

Eta - some details https://www.thelakewoodscoop.c......html

Last edited by sky on Fri, Apr 03 2020, 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:45 am
Who said anything about gourmet?? A bagel and salad is ok for breakfast. For dinner I need a normal chicken meal. Normal doesn't mean gourmet. Chicken and potatoes and maybe a soup doesn't mean gourmet. It's just normal food.
You're making it sound as if this huge chessed of sending meals is a bad thing. What's the big deal of sending a hearty meal to a neighbor?

Per my original post, there are all kinds of ways to get food to the woman's friend besides having individuals prepare a hot meal each evening and leave it at her door.

Someone can have a rotisserie chicken with a side of some form of starch and some form of veggie. And a roast beef or chicken or turkey sandwich is just as nutritious as something that requires cooking. A baked potato or frozen French fries are a form of potato and don't require anything other than literally placing in an oven.

I didn't mean literally *gourmet* - I meant that there are ways to ensure that the family is provided with food that doesn't require that it be prepped or cooked by the woman since there is probably no way for home cooked meals to be delivered each night under the circumstances.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:55 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Per my original post, there are all kinds of ways to get food to the woman's friend besides having individuals prepare a hot meal each evening and leave it at her door.

Someone can have a rotisserie chicken with a side of some form of starch and some form of veggie. And a roast beef or chicken or turkey sandwich is just as nutritious as something that requires cooking. A baked potato or frozen French fries are a form of potato and don't require anything other than literally placing in an oven.

I didn't mean literally *gourmet* - I meant that there are ways to ensure that the family is provided with food that doesn't require that it be prepped or cooked by the woman since there is probably no way for home cooked meals to be delivered each night under the circumstances.

A sandwich is not a meal.
Why is it a bad thing to cook a meal for a kimperurin????
Why can't meals be delivered under these circumstances? If all types of stores are delivering, I can drop off a box at my neighbors doorstep.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 11:01 am
A sandwich is not a meal.
Why is it a bad thing to cook a meal for a kimperurin????
Why can't meals be delivered under these circumstances? If all types of stores are delivering, I can drop off a box at my neighbors doorstep.

Who said it was a bad thing to cook?

OP was laying out circumstances in which it might be difficult for hot meals to be delivered every night.

My original post made some suggestions for enabling that even in an OOT community far from her family. Of course that would be idea.

However, if that can't be done no one is going to starve if they have to eat a sandwich or frozen pizza for a night. These are exception times and it's not going to be any better in three weeks or even a month.

My actual suggestion was for OP to organize a meal train if possible rather than relying on an outside organization because formal organizations are probably going to be overwhelmed and providing a hot meal to someone who is not financially needy and can put together her own support system as necessary isn't going to be a priority

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 11:13 am
-ubereats
-order pizza
-she can put up a pot of pasta
-husband can pick up takeout
-husband can make scrambled eggs
-she can cook in advance and freeze

sky

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 11:51 am
Can’t ppl answer the question without giving other advise.

What works for you may not work for others. Ppl aren’t idiots that they haven’t thought of these solutions.

Some ppl have difficult recoveries.
Some ppl have ppd - ppl with no families or friends nearby and a bad support network are more likely to get ppd.
Some ppl have difficult or special needs children
Some ppl have DHs who are absentee.
Some ppl can’t afford takeout.
Some ppl have DHs with disabilities that prevent them from driving.
Some ppl struggle with hidden illnesses.
Or a host of other difficulties.
Or no difficulties at all.

Now everyone can go and post how these too are all solvable...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries