Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Which schools in Brooklyn are giving free lunch now?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 10:59 pm
Where in Boro Park flatbush or Williamsburg can I get grab n go meals for my kids tmrw and what time?

ladYdI

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 11:16 pm
You mean like to buy ready sandwiches?
You need to call and order
Corner cafe, falls burg bagels in bp
Coffee break in Bedford
Or did you mean like which school yeshiva is giving out free Tom?
Gan yisroel 11-12:30

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 11:47 pm
I mean schools giving out free grab n go. I’ll change the title thanks. Where is gan Yisroel?

mig100

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 11:51 pm
ladYdI wrote:
You mean like to buy ready sandwiches?
You need to call and order
Corner cafe, falls burg bagels in bp
Coffee break in Bedford
Or did you mean like which school yeshiva is giving out free Tom?
Gan yisroel 11-12:30

Are the above only for those with school aged kids?

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 11:51 pm
Last week chaim Berlin, torah Temima, bnos Yisroel were giving out lunches

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 12:12 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:

Any idea if they doing it this coming week and what time each day?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 12:46 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:

Can you please post the address and times.
Thank you

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 11:25 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Can you please post the address and times.
Thank you

Bump

nanny24/7

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 6:23 pm
Just posting this on this thread as well in case there is someone in need.

NYC will begin later this week offering kosher meals at select public school locations throughout. In Williamsburg it starts tomorrow and the other locations it starts Thursday the 23rd.

Here below is the link and a list of locations that have the kosher option excerpted from that link.

I assume the pick up times are the same as all public schools, 7:30 am to 11:30 am for children and families and 11:30 am until 1:30 for adults only. If you go before 11:30 they ask each person how many people are in the family and give for everyone for the whole day 3 meals. No ID needed and no one would be turned away.
I presume after 11:30 they only give single portions/packages of 3 meals for the day for each adult person coming but I don't know.

I went to a public school right near me this morning which was not offering Kosher food but I figured maybe some stuff is anyways Kosher especially the packaged foods which was indeed the case. I said I don't want anything made from poultry and meat and the security guard said not to worry there isn't that anyway and there are just some cheese sandwhiches.
Turns out a bunch of the sandwiches are bologna salami slices and cheese together (well packaged and sealed individually) and I remembered there is halachic question of giving a non Jew food that is meat and dairy together so I just threw them out. Nevermind I had no one to give them to.
Now I see that the link says all public schools have vegetarian options available so I am curious what that would include if I asked for that.
The breakfasts they gave some had small sealed sunflower butter cups OU Parve from Sunbutter brand, some had General Mills fruity cheerios also OU Parve, and I think all the breakfasts had 1 apple juice little juice box with a Star K hechsher from Suncup brand. Some of the lunches had small whole fresh red delicious apples. Also lots of the meals if not maybe all had small individual cartons of milk. All were OU -D (chalav stam). Some of the milk was fat free and some low fat and I think some chocolate milk. Some of the breakfasts had OU-D cholov stam graham crackers small individual packages. Everything else was not kosher including frozen fruit cups, sandwhiches, and grape jelly.

https://www.schools.nyc.gov/sc.....meals

Kosher Meals
We now include sites that offer exclusively kosher certified meals.Three Kosher meals a day will be available to any New Yorker who wants one at ten sites in Brooklyn and Queens. The sites are listed below and can also be found in the Meal Hub look up tool.

Kosher meals follow the USDA meal nutrition guidelines and are produced in partnership with a certified kosher distributor. Our kosher meal sites are housed in DOE school buildings and staffed by DOE food service staff. Meals offered at our kosher meal sites are free and available to any New Yorker that requests them.

****Opening April 21, 2020*****
Williamsburg
PS 132 The Conselyea School – 320 Manhattan Avenue, Brooklyn 11211
PS 257 John F Hylan – 60 Cook Street, Brooklyn 11206

****Opening Thursday, April 23, 2020****
Far Rockaway
P.S. 197 The Ocean School - 825 Hicksville Road, Queens 11691
P.S. 253 - 1307 Central Avenue, Queens 11691
Flushing/Kew Gardens
P.S. 154 Queens - 75-02 162 Street, Queens 11366
P.S. 215 - 535 Briar Place, Queens 11691
Crown Heights
P.S. 289 George V. Brower - 900 St Marks Avenue, Brooklyn 11213
I.S. 2 - 655 Parkside Avenue, Brooklyn 11226
Boro Park
P.S. 192 - The Magnet School For Math And Science - 4715 18 Avenue, Brooklyn 11204
Midwood
P.S. 197 - The Kings Highway Academy - 1599 East 22 Street, Brooklyn 11210

nycgal

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 6:32 pm
nanny24/7 wrote:
Just posting this on this thread as well in case there is someone in need.

NYC will begin later this week offering kosher meals at select public school locations throughout. In Williamsburg it starts tomorrow and the other locations it starts Thursday the 23rd.

Here below is the link and a list of locations that have the kosher option excerpted from that link.

I assume the pick up times are the same as all public schools, 7:30 am to 11:30 am for children and families and 11:30 am until 1:30 for adults only. If you go before 11:30 they ask each person how many people are in the family and give for everyone for the whole day 3 meals. No ID needed and no one would be turned away.
I presume after 11:30 they only give single portions/packages of 3 meals for the day for each adult person coming but I don't know.

I heard that these meals are borenstein airline meals.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 7:35 pm
nycgal wrote:
I heard that these meals are borenstein airline meals.

Yuck. Why airline food????
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics