Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
First day on the job

MMEC123

Post Fri, Sep 09 2005, 10:17 am
I just started teaching a new class. BH all my previous years teaching have been very successful. But this year, the first day of school was AWFUL! I don't remember EVER having such a hard class. I could not get them to listen for more than 3 seconds at a time. Suffice is to say I taught absolutely nothing, which doesn't bother me...as long as it doesn't continue like this. Any teachers out there with any new tips because everything I've ever known and done that has worked, didn't work with this class. I came home after the first day crying over how bad it was. Any ideas? Help! I feel ready to quit already and it's only been one day!

RedVines

Post Fri, Sep 09 2005, 10:50 am
What age? How many kids? Time you teach?

Tovah

Post Fri, Sep 09 2005, 10:58 am
why don't you speak to the previous teacher for some help. and try to find what they like to do and keep that as a prize for being good all day.

Mandy

Post Fri, Sep 09 2005, 12:01 pm
Divide them into groups ( four each maybe)and give the groups points for good behavior and take away points for bad behavior. Specify what that means clearly. Give the group with the highest number of points a treat at the end of the day or the week, depending on the age. Or you can give the reward to all the groups that reached a certain criteria ( 10 points, for example). You can give junk food or extra recess or a no homework night depending on your school policies. There are so many variations on this model. I would also identify the leader troublemakers and make a special arrangment/contract with them. Good luck- it is hard.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Sep 09 2005, 12:21 pm
what age? I had 5 year old boys last year and they were QUITE difficult. Had I not started in the middle of the year, I may not have stuck in out!!
Good luck and just remember to be strict! sometimes if you come on acting nice, friendly, they take advantage. Sad

Rivk

Post Fri, Sep 09 2005, 2:00 pm
Try to pinpoint who the leaders are and speak to them privately after class. The best way to open a conversation with a student is with the words "I've noticed....." or "It seems to me..." And don't put them on the defensive - that will turn them against you. Also, I recommend the book Love and Logic in the Classroom.

queen

Post Fri, Sep 09 2005, 5:40 pm
I've taught 8th graders in several schools, and found this to work like a charm, even with the most lively groups:

hand out "dollars" for good behavior, good questions, particapation etc.
just keep a stack in your hand and give them out as needed. Kids write their names on back, and every once in a while, make a raffle for some prizes.

Dollars: just make something pretty and xerox on colored paper. Not white- bec. then kids can easily duplicate.

MMEC123

Post Sat, Sep 10 2005, 11:31 pm
I teach 5 year old boys and there are 21 of them. I've been teaching this age for 4 years and each year I was told "it's the hardest class this school has ever seen"...Well all my other classes look like angels compared to these boys! My main problem is, I can't get anyone quiet or calm enough to divide them into groups (which is how I DO teach). If I try, then a few start running around or trying to hurt other kids. I really feel ready to quit- for my health and sanity. I feel drained and exhausted and totally worn out from just the few days we've had and I'm at a loss as to how to get them to listen!

Mandy

Post Sat, Sep 10 2005, 11:37 pm
That sounds really desperate. How about just giving out snacks to those who are sitting quietly at first. Then when everyone figures it out and sits down, you can establish order.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 12:04 am
Mandy, great idea, I was going to suggest s/thing on those lines, promise s/thing for those that sit nicely, or tell them they can play with s/thing they really like and those boys that didn't behave can't play with that toy.
I hope they get better.. it's a pity to give up a job just for this.

happymom

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 12:27 am
There is a great book called "how to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk" Basically the idea is to really care are about the kids and listen to what they have to say. YOu should be strict but also very loving. Kids pick up very quickly how you feel about them and react upon it. If you are intimidated.. they act up... if you don't care about them... they don't listen... (obviously there are different situations but in genera;l..) If a kids says "I hate gym" instead of the teacher saying you shouldn't! or cmon, try harder... the teacher should say, "you hate gym" why.... what can we do to make it better? and LISTEN to the students.... (this is also good for parents... I find that kids listen when the class is very interesting... what topic are u teaching? maybe I can give you some ideas? IT actually depends on your age. I taught preschool for 4 years and what I would do alot was come in dressed up... act things out alot... get the kids involved... bring in a lot of pictures and make it very FUN and interesting so that all the kids wanted to listen... But its not easy! I hope it gets better..... maybe you can also keep the ones who are troublemaker next to you? how old are they....

MMEC123

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 9:58 am
Oy, I'm losing hope. I've tried everything you have all suggested. I'm not intimidated, and I am a strict, no-nonsense, but very loving teacher (which has always worked in the past). I put the "troublemakers" next to me. I make the lesson interesting but nothing works!

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 10:07 am
It takes time.. I hope in this case it's only time that will be needed... children love to push buttons, and they will keep pressing to get attn..

carrot

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 3:09 pm
how many assistants do you have working with you? maybe you need an additional assistant that can deal with the very wild kids separately when necessary, or even take them out of the classroom (let them run around on the playground...) do you think that would help?

you sound like a great teacher, so I don't think this is a matter of merely changing techniques. it sounds like you just have certain kids that aren't ready to follow school rules and they need to be watched over separately so that they do not disrupt the rest of the class or establish an identity as a "bad" kid.

maybe they could learn to see it as a privilege to be able to participate with the rest of the class.

Tefila

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 3:43 pm
Quote:
how many assistants do you have working with you? maybe you need an additional assistant that can deal with the very wild kids separately when necessary, or even take them out of the classroom (let them run around on the playground...) do you think that would help?

Carrot my exact thoughts too Wink
Also is it possible that it's harder b/c the assistant is different then ones you have had in the past Confused

MMEC123

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 5:47 pm
carrot wrote:

you sound like a great teacher, so I don't think this is a matter of merely changing techniques. it sounds like you just have certain kids that aren't ready to follow school rules and they need to be watched over separately so that they do not disrupt the rest of the class or establish an identity as a "bad" kid.

maybe they could learn to see it as a privilege to be able to participate with the rest of the class.

You're right. I only have one assistant who is VERY different than my previous assistants! I would LOVE to take them to run around on the playground but my school has strict "hours" when I can and cannot use it and of course the time I requested was denied and I can't just go out when the kids need it (which is the best time!).

Unfortunately my class had a teacher last year that the whole year was hefker and their morning teacher runs the classroom the same way so I'm up against that, plus they just came back from summer vacation which was probably more or less hefker. So all of a sudden I come and try to settle them and teach them and they go bonkers!

happymom

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 6:40 pm
that makes sense then! I guess they are like that becuase they think youre class will be like last year... Im sure they will learn very soon (hopefully) that with you things are different and they cant jsut do whatever they want.

MMEC123

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 4:30 pm
Well, today was the third day of school and I finally felt like a teacher and not a zookeeper. B"H, bli ayin hara they listened and were much easier to handle (though my principal came inand criticized that my room was messy- but that's life with boys and after "clean up" it looked beautiful again!). Thanks for everyone's help!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics