Home

How to clean and grates and racks
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Sun, Apr 05 2020, 3:49 pm
How do you clean and kasher grates and oven racks?

I understand that self clean ruins it so I want to avoid it.

I have a hard time cleaning the grates in general, they never come out perfect, and that makes me nervous in advance
Back to top

1091




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Apr 05 2020, 3:53 pm
Put in a garbage bag with a quarter cup of Ammonia and leave overnight. Will be easy to clean.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Sun, Apr 05 2020, 7:37 pm
1091 wrote:
Put in a garbage bag with a quarter cup of Ammonia and leave overnight. Will be easy to clean.


I don’t have ammonia at home. Or bleach.
Back to top

1091




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Apr 05 2020, 8:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don’t have ammonia at home. Or bleach.


Vinegar?

Instructions for Grates
Fill a shallow pan with a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water.
Fully submerge the grates in the solution. Let them soak for at least 30 minutes.
Pull the grates from the solution and use the scrub brush on them.
Rinse the grates.
Repeat the vinegar soak followed by more scrubbing as necessary.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Apr 05 2020, 8:18 pm
Oven
Mix baking soda with just enough water to make a paste in an oven-safe bowl; add vinegar. Use a sponge to dab the mixture on all dirt in the oven and along the bottom of the oven.
Place oven-safe bowl with the remaining mixture on an oven rack. Set your oven for 210 F degrees and let it run for 45 minutes.
Wipe up all the loose gunk, and your oven is clean.
https://youtu.be/wp0FT2tQ-8c
This works very well for regular basis to keep oven shiny clean. If it's very dirty it can take a few tries and a very strong elbow.

Grates
Place 1 grate in gallon size Ziploc. Add 1/4 cup ammonia (best to do this outside). Zip closed and leave overnight. The trapped fumes will loosen the gunk. Use a scotch brite to scrub off the grease while washing under water.
https://youtu.be/QEZXjBY4VwE

Stovetop
Follow instructions on Bar Keepers Friends Soft Cleanser - Shake bottle. Squeeze small amount onto damp sponge. Let sit 1 minute. Scrub dirt with the damp sponge. Rinse. Wipe.
Back to top

oneofakind




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Apr 05 2020, 8:24 pm
Windex is ammonia.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Sun, Apr 05 2020, 10:40 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Oven
Mix baking soda with just enough water to make a paste in an oven-safe bowl; add vinegar. Use a sponge to dab the mixture on all dirt in the oven and along the bottom of the oven.
Place oven-safe bowl with the remaining mixture on an oven rack. Set your oven for 210 F degrees and let it run for 45 minutes.
Wipe up all the loose gunk, and your oven is clean.
https://youtu.be/wp0FT2tQ-8c
This works very well for regular basis to keep oven shiny clean. If it's very dirty it can take a few tries and a very strong elbow.

Grates
Place 1 grate in gallon size Ziploc. Add 1/4 cup ammonia (best to do this outside). Zip closed and leave overnight. The trapped fumes will loosen the gunk. Use a scotch brite to scrub off the grease while washing under water.
https://youtu.be/QEZXjBY4VwE

Stovetop
Follow instructions on Bar Keepers Friends Soft Cleanser - Shake bottle. Squeeze small amount onto damp sponge. Let sit 1 minute. Scrub dirt with the damp sponge. Rinse. Wipe.


Thank you.
I’m majorly ocd and I scrubbed the stovetop with barkeepers friend, and I still see and feel some bumps. I don’t know what to do?

I am doing self clean for the oven, I just don’t know what to with the oven racks.

Also if I want to kasher the racks and grates in the oven do I do it before or after I self clean?

Crying Crying

Trying not to have a meltdown
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Sun, Apr 05 2020, 10:40 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Windex is ammonia.


I’ll try windex thank you
Back to top

Ema of 4




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Apr 05 2020, 10:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do you clean and kasher grates and oven racks?

I understand that self clean ruins it so I want to avoid it.

I have a hard time cleaning the grates in general, they never come out perfect, and that makes me nervous in advance

You can keep the racks in the oven while you clean it, either in the highest temp or on self clean. You can probably stick the grates in too.
Self clean hasn’t ruined my racks yet. I have a separate set of grates (the set it came with originally broke, but it’s usable for one week) so I don’t have to kasher mine, but I’ve never heard anyone say self cleaning ruins racks or grates.
Back to top

saralem




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Apr 06 2020, 12:14 am
I self clean my ovens with both racks and stove grates. It should be fine. No need to make extra work for yourself. Especially now.
Back to top

miami85




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Apr 06 2020, 12:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do you clean and kasher grates and oven racks?

I understand that self clean ruins it so I want to avoid it.

I have a hard time cleaning the grates in general, they never come out perfect, and that makes me nervous in advance


It doesn't ruin the function of the grates, only the aesthetic. Which only matters if you are renting.
Back to top

hi5




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Apr 06 2020, 12:38 am
miami85 wrote:
It doesn't ruin the function of the grates, only the aesthetic. Which only matters if you are renting.


So self clean definitely doesn't ruin them?
What about health wise?
You're sure it doesn't cause chemicals to be released?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:58 pm
Barkeepers friend worked magic on the racks!
Dh did the grates. If he did a good job I don’t know, It’s not my problem.
I’m avoiding a melt down.

So what gets done first - the racks and grates at 550 or the self clean?

(I don’t own, so I don’t want to ruin the asthetic)


I was really trying not to make myself crazy and tried to be calm, but then someone told me she doesn’t kasher because she doesn’t trust self clean because she doesn’t feel like it does a good enough job. Banging head Banging head
Way to up my anxiety... I’m ignoring that, I’m still kashering my oven, but it brought up ocd-ness when I was actually cleaning

Thank you all!
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:05 pm
Remove all racks and self clean the empty oven.
Once the oven is empty, you can place the racks back in and set the oven to 550 for the 40 minute libum of the racks.
And then you're ready to start baking.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you.
I’m majorly ocd and I scrubbed the stovetop with barkeepers friend, and I still see and feel some bumps. I don’t know what to do?

I am doing self clean for the oven, I just don’t know what to with the oven racks.

Also if I want to kasher the racks and grates in the oven do I do it before or after I self clean?

Crying Crying

Trying not to have a meltdown

Just saw this. If you have this next year where you still feel raised spots, you can use a mostly dry Mr. Clean eraser to scrub off the raised spots from the stovetop. Ignore this for this year. You cleaned it and that's all that's required!
Back to top

amother




Black
 

Post  Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:10 pm
How do you self clean an electric oven? Same as gas?
(Im asking because broiling is different in electric than gas. )
Back to top

Teomima




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:15 pm
I fill the bathtub with hot water and dish soap, line the bottom with old towels, and soak the grates in there overnight. The next morning they just need a quick scrub with some steel wool and they're good as new. No damage, no real elbow grease (everything comes off easily after a good soak).

My oven doesn't self clean but I put it at its highest setting for an hour (after I scrub out the oven interior). I do that with the clean grates inside to kasher them along with the oven.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:16 pm
hi5 wrote:
So self clean definitely doesn't ruin them?
What about health wise?
You're sure it doesn't cause chemicals to be released?

The racks can be hard to slide in and out after keeping them in during self clean.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Tue, Apr 07 2020, 12:17 pm
Thank You again, you should all be blessed.

I self cleaned the oven, the glass on the door is a bit speckled still.
Everything else is sparkling! BH!

Also the grAtes and racks, I piled them on top of each other and their on 550 - it’s ok that they are piled on top of one another? Right?
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Apr 07 2020, 1:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank You again, you should all be blessed.

I self cleaned the oven, the glass on the door is a bit speckled still.
Everything else is sparkling! BH!

Also the grAtes and racks, I piled them on top of each other and their on 550 - it’s ok that they are piled on top of one another? Right?

Should be fine. Just no rubber feet should go in.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Clean comedy on YouTube 8 Thu, May 14 2020, 11:24 am View last post
Is BBC Pride and Prejudice a clean Movie?
by amother
31 Fri, May 08 2020, 3:29 am View last post
Clean movies
by amother
1 Mon, May 04 2020, 12:21 pm View last post
Machine Wash Wool Pants (dry clean only)
by amother
4 Fri, May 01 2020, 2:41 pm View last post
Ideas for feel good/comedy movies? Clean and FREE
by amother
3 Mon, Apr 27 2020, 8:26 am View last post

Jump to: