Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Are there any communities still operating fairly normally?
Previous  1  2

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 9:57 am
I saw a world Corona map yesterday.

Iceland is looking pretty safe.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 10:26 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Oh! Let’s go! What’s it like to live a normal life again?
Wait.. I can’t go anywhere. I have Covid19 and pneumonia-
Oh well, Iceland will have to wait.

keym

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 10:31 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

So much for the warm weather killing Corona.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 7:46 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
So your neighborhood is still open? Businesses, shuls?

I’m not home, I don’t see what my neighborhood is like now, but from what I heard, only pharmacies and food stores are open. If anyone needs to go anywhere, they can’t go in groups. I needed my dh to go to the pharmacy with the car and I wanted him to take my dd. He said, only one person can go. As far as shuls, probably closed, but the shul we went to barely had a minyan before all this anyway.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 8:43 am
Although almost all states in the US have some restrictions, there are still a few where up to 50 people can gather.
Some states shut down pro-actively before they had any reported cases so although there's limits on what people there can do, they are still safe at the grocery store.
My relatives, who live in Kentucky, suffer from shortages but they don't know anyone there who actually tested positive or have symptoms and the entire state has had 18 deaths. The elderly and vulnerable still get people to shop for them and someone we know is serving tuna at the Seder due to fish shortages there but they are still safer than we who live in Monsey or Brooklyn.
The Catskills is still somewhat safer and Walmart is fully stocked with KLP products.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 10:45 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Iceland has been testing and contact tracing And quarantining the sick that’s why. Not a half done “anyone who wants a test can get one Ooops we lied” thing.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 2:58 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
if there are communities functioning "normally" the best favor they could do for themselves is lockdown now. The reality at the moment is that all it takes is one germ from a person, a traveler, a package, a piece of mail, and so on for the virus to get in and run like wildfire through any community R"L.

I would think by now with the benefit of hindsight people would get this.

What if next year there is a new, more dangerous bug flying around? What if another pandemic is declared again? Do you expect the entire world to stay shut down every time a bug makes its way globally? For all of human history people have built immunity to new viruses, or in case of those who self-isolated, they waited until general herd immunity was developed amongst the entire population before venturing back out.

Do you live in an either very wealthy or highly government supported via welfare community? Because otherwise I don't understand how you can state that entire communities should just shutdown everywhere. in many places in the world, people are unable to make ends meet without working. It's not month to month, but week to week. And the government is not printing money and depositing it into our bank accounts easy peesy for us all to sit at home. Lockdown lasting longer than say 1 week or so in many places means starvation for the majority of the population.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics