Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Israel - mass lockdown for Passover
1  2  Next

ora_43

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:22 am
A couple of posters have mentioned relatives in Israel who are planning to go to family for seder.

Tell them they still have two days to kasher their kitchens and buy some matza and meat... It looks like we're heading for a full lockdown.

Government considering lockdown over Passover

If this goes into effect police will be stopping travel between cities, and within some neighborhoods of major cities, including several parts of Jerusalem.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:24 am
I haven't started to kasher my kitchen and I was planning to stay home from the beginning! Two days is enough if a few family members pitch in.

But yes, as far as I know it will be extremely difficult to travel to others during pesach day. Police will be stopping cars everywhere. I guess someone very desperate can try going on Tuesday already, but really, JUST STAY HOME.

banana123

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:25 am
I saw that, I'm SO GLAD!!!!

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:28 am
Me too!

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:42 am
Me three!

I keep seeing people here on imamother say the are visiting in-laws/parents for seder despite restrictions and I fear they will undue all the progress that has been made to contain the outbreak.

Of course, realistically, they cannot prevent everyone from travelling.

Does this lockdown entail anything else besides driving restrictions? I can't find details anywhere. Will we be permitted to leave our homes at all?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:51 am
It looked to me to be only Seder night. I don’t travel on Tom Tov. Ever. What’s so special about locking down the first night of Pesach?

israelmama

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:56 am
I read that they wanted to do a full lockdown but now that that no grocery stores are opened there is no reason to leave home

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:56 am
Iymnok wrote:
It looked to me to be only Seder night. I don’t travel on Tom Tov. Ever. What’s so special about locking down the first night of Pesach?

Well, a lot of Israelis visit relatives for seder night.

(Maybe I didn't understand your question?)

banana123

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:59 am
israelmama wrote:
I read that they wanted to do a full lockdown but now that that no grocery stores are opened there is no reason to leave home

Since when are no grocery stores open?

israelmama

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:02 am
banana123 wrote:
Since when are no grocery stores open?

On Seder night no grocery stores are opened- wasn’t clear in my post.

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:06 am
DrMom wrote:
Me three!

I keep seeing people here on imamother say the are visiting in-laws/parents for seder despite restrictions and I fear they will undue all the progress that has been made to contain the outbreak.

Of course, realistically, they cannot prevent everyone from travelling.

Does this lockdown entail anything else besides driving restrictions? I can't find details anywhere. Will we be permitted to leave our homes at all?

Here in Itamar, there has been a call to require anyone who visits their parents for Seder night to remain there for two weeks quarantine. People are getting very strict about it all.

Iymnok - many secular/traditional Israelis show up on chag eve to their family gatherings, and leave same night. Even if they only lockdown for Yom tov, that will make a huge difference.

banana123

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:07 am
I feel like this should be in the "Life in Israel" forum instead of the regular coronavirus forum.

ora_43

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:17 am
banana123 wrote:
I feel like this should be in the "Life in Israel" forum instead of the regular coronavirus forum.

I posted it here because some of the posters talking about this were American (ie American imamother members whose family in Israel will be going to other family in Israel).

And I hope someone warns them. I mean, the 20 bajillion announcements from health authorities and rabbis telling people not to travel really should have been enough - but still, it would be awful for people if they didn't realize, and ended up being forced to turn around and go home with 2 hours to go and nothing ready for seder.

etky

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:18 am
Be"h my kitchen will be kashered and I will be cooking by mid-day.
I plan on sending my niece to Jerusalem with Pesach food for my father by tomorrow afternoon.
So far they have allowed people to travel if they are going to help an older or disabled relative but now there is closer inspection of cars on the road. Yesterday they were stopping cars going in and out of Efrat and asking people what their business was.
I'm very much hoping that if she is stopped they will let her travel. Sometimes the individual policemen on duty don't know all the ins and outs of the regulations.

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:41 am
There are accusations by Liberman that Deri is only insisting on locking down the entire country (as opposed to highly infected areas, which tend to be Haredi) in order to placate haredi politicians. Rumor has it that Shas won't join the coalition if the lockdown is only imposed on Haredi neighborhoods.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/.....odox/

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:46 am
DrMom wrote:
There are accusations by Liberman that Deri is only insisting on locking down the entire country (as opposed to highly infected areas, which tend to be Haredi) in order to placate haredi politicians. Rumor has it that Shas won't join the coalition if the lockdown is only imposed on Haredi neighborhoods.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/.....odox/

I definitely believe everything Liberman says about haredim these days. Twisted Evil

You yourself pointed out upthread that Pesach and family is a universal Israeli habit.

I don't think we need to look for secret motives behind this lockdown, other than safety and people whom think they are the exception to the rule.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:51 am
Iymnok wrote:
What’s so special about locking down the first night of Pesach?

וּלְקַחְתֶּם אֲגֻדַּת אֵזוֹב וּטְבַלְתֶּם בַּדָּם אֲשֶׁר בַּסַּף וְהִגַּעְתֶּם אֶל הַמַּשְׁקוֹף וְאֶל שְׁתֵּי הַמְּזוּזֹת מִן הַדָּם אֲשֶׁר בַּסָּף וְאַתֶּם לֹא תֵצְאוּ אִישׁ מִפֶּתַח בֵּיתוֹ עַד בֹּקֶר: {כג} וְעָבַר יְהוָה לִנְגֹּף אֶת מִצְרַיִם וְרָאָה אֶת הַדָּם עַל הַמַּשְׁקוֹף וְעַל שְׁתֵּי הַמְּזוּזֹת וּפָסַח יְהוָה עַל הַפֶּתַח וְלֹא יִתֵּן הַמַּשְׁחִית לָבֹא אֶל בָּתֵּיכֶם לִנְגֹּף: {כד} וּשְׁמַרְתֶּם אֶת הַדָּבָר הַזֶּה לְחָק לְךָ וּלְבָנֶיךָ עַד עוֹלָם:

There could be something very special about locking down the first night of Pesach. But this time, with the instructions co.ing from the government instead of Moshe Rabbenu, it's hard to be sure.

banana123

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:52 am
Rappel wrote:
I definitely believe everything Liberman says about haredim these days. Twisted Evil

You yourself pointed out upthread that Pesach and family is a universal Israeli habit.

I don't think we need to look for secret motives behind this lockdown, other than safety and people whom think they are the exception to the rule.

I always believe what Liberman says, as well as what Times of Israel says. Twisted Evil

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:57 am
banana123 wrote:
I always believe what Liberman says, as well as what Times of Israel says. Twisted Evil

Lol! When I worked for Arutz 7 a few years ago, they had an editorial rule not to use anything from the ToI, because they didn't verify before they printed, and trended toward the sensational. Maybe things have changed since...

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 4:11 am
Rappel wrote:
Lol! When I worked for Arutz 7 a few years ago, they had an editorial rule not to use anything from the ToI, because they didn't verify before they printed, and trended toward the sensational. Maybe things have changed since...

I actually find Arutz Sheva to be more sensationalistic of late (as in , over the last year). Plus their online format is super-annoying.

If the lockdown is just for seder night, then I agree that Liberman's accusation makes no sense.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics