Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
It's getting too much

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 10:58 am
Being home with him for so long. He is deteriorating every day more. He needs kids to play with. He is kvetching, being verbally abusive. I gave up. He's in his room crying and destroying things. I just can't anymore.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 11:05 am
kudos to u. it IS VERY hard. we as mothers shouldnt give up. just hang in there and let it be. dont attempt to handle every situation but dont give up. just accept that it is what it is
H gave this child to you. I believe you it is taking every bit of your energy- im very very sorry your family, your kid and you have to go through this. it is a huge huge challenge and you deserve every respect for managing every minute of it. I wish I had a helpful answer. im a teacher and work with se and challenging children. under 'normal' circumstances it is already super difficult. in corona times with hardly any resources, space, peers...it must be terrible. my own kids (who are usually easy going) beocme aggressive- I can imangine how this situation affects challenging children.

maybe leaving him alone in his room is a good thing, maybe taking a bath and putting on music can help u relax? im sorry I have no ideas, I just want to let u know MANY MANY MANY families sit in the same boat. I get phonecalls daily from my clients/Students' parents. this is truely difficult and pleas please please be kidn to yourself no matter what. and please please please dont give up on him, just accept this a s a terribly difficult phase. Sad

lilies

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 11:05 am
Hug

Have you tried giving him 30m of your undivided attention? Preferable using play as a tool so you can provide positive feedback and reflection.
It's hard but does wonders.
PM me if you'd like.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 11:14 am
I decided to let him watch something. It was supposed to be a reward for being productive (riding his bike, playing with lego) but I gave it up. Thanks for the chizuk. I myself am not feeling so well so not really able to play with him.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 11:24 am
yesterday when 2 of my kids were going crazy
I got up and did excersize - making up a song of how bored we all are and doing stretches to this

it did distract them

but it's still very hard

Jewishmom8

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 1:18 pm
Hug
it is very hard.
you are not alone

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 1:21 pm
Yes! Minus the verbally abusive part! My child has tried to destroy everything in the house. Last night he was throwing around stuff in his room at 2am.

malky800

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 1:27 pm
I've had very difficult days with breaking and thrashing.
And days like today where its quiet from his room.
I bought him a box of popsicle sticks and a glue gun. He is building some sort of tower.
I just keep reminding myself, maybe tom will be a good day.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 2:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Being home with him for so long. He is deteriorating every day more. He needs kids to play with. He is kvetching, being verbally abusive. I gave up. He's in his room crying and destroying things. I just can't anymore.

IDK what to tell you. I’m in the same situation. Can you get a minute to reset? Even washing my face or brushing my teeth seems to help. Crying My DC seems much older than yours. He’s very self destructive.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 12:19 am
So hard! How old? Is he medicated and is it time for a med change, or doing therapy by telemedicine? My therapist offered virtual sessions and my DC's psychiatrist offered virtual. Is some of the behavior hormonal I.e. he's entering puberty? Hugs, OP

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 12:45 am
It’s very very hard!!!’ Sending you a lot of strength.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)