Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you have stainless steel or kasherable kitchen sinks?

Do you have a kasherable for pesach kitchen sink(s)?
yes stainless steel sink(s)  
 89%  [ 150 ]
yes kasherable other material sink (please list material)  
 1%  [ 3 ]
no kasherable sink(s) (please list material)  
 8%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 168

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 2:04 pm
Do you have stainless steel or other kasherable for pesach kitchen sinks? If not stainless steel, but it is kasherable, please comment what material it is made of. If you don't have a kasherable kitchen sink, what material is it?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 7:58 am
I'm in a rental, with a horrible plastic sink. Not even two sinks, just one. Every day I have to bleach the sink, and then use different racks and inserts for meat and dairy. Having a Pesach rack and insert is just more of the same.

I miss my old rental, where I had two stainless sinks. That year was really nice.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 8:21 am
Wait what, I can kosher stainless steal? I literally lined the whole sink with silver foil except the small hole on the bottom... oh well maybe next year willl kosher with hot water.

top mom

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 8:41 am
We have stainless steel, and we were told to put an insert or silver foil to line

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 9:25 am
Stainless. I purposely picked this over other material so I could kasher it.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 11:25 am
Metal sinks are kasherable. For most of us that means stainless, but copper sinks are also kasherable. I've never specced a soapstone sink, but real stone is also kasherable.

Metukah

Post Sat, Apr 11 2020, 5:25 pm
Non kasherable; ceramic.

I hate stainless Steel cos if the water stains, wasn't gonna put up with it just so I could kasher it for pesach. (hope to make a pesach kitchen soon). Ironically, my counter tops are kasherable but not my sinks.

amother
Khaki

Post Sat, Apr 11 2020, 10:24 pm
Corian - was told to use an insert. Only have one sink so during the year I use sink mats/racks for dairy and meat in the sink.

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Apr 11 2020, 10:34 pm
I have Pesach sinks. They don't have to be kashered.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, Apr 11 2020, 10:38 pm
I have a copper sink.

Recently learned that the Covid19 virus only lives four hours on copper surfaces Very Happy

Teomima

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 11:47 am
I have a single non-kasherable porcelain sink. I hate it but we can't afford to change it. During the year we use liners and inserts. On pesach I have a tub I keep on the counter and wash dishes on the counter then just rinse them into the sink.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 7:59 am
I have a double porclain/enamel sink - one faucet for meat and dairy that swivels between the two. I hate it and hope to replace it, along with the horrible countertops that came with my kitchen. The rest of my kitchen is B"H really nice, so if I can just do this, it will be awesome.

DH does a "kashering" procedure on it which is really insufficient anyway (he does it in case it helps, some sort of svara about that) and then I cover it with contact paper (has to be very dry to stick...) because I haven't been able to find an insert that fits.

I grew up with my mother having stainless sinks that my father kashered for Pesach. But not everyone holds that you can kasher stainless steel. I had that at my previous residence, and we used an insert.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 1:50 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I have a double porclain/enamel sink - one faucet for meat and dairy that swivels between the two. I hate it and hope to replace it, along with the horrible countertops that came with my kitchen. The rest of my kitchen is B"H really nice, so if I can just do this, it will be awesome.

DH does a "kashering" procedure on it which is really insufficient anyway (he does it in case it helps, some sort of svara about that) and then I cover it with contact paper (has to be very dry to stick...) because I haven't been able to find an insert that fits.

I grew up with my mother having stainless sinks that my father kashered for Pesach. But not everyone holds that you can kasher stainless steel. I had that at my previous residence, and we used an insert.

Why can't you kasher stainless steel? I thought all metal is able to be kashered?

zaq

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 2:06 pm
DrMom wrote:
Stainless. I purposely picked this over other material so I could kasher it.

if I had had a choice, that's what I'd have done, but I think nowadays stainless is cheaper than porcelain, so stainless is what the landlord put in anyway. kashering is messy and not without hazard but once it's done, what a mechayeh!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen