Home

Anecdotal evidence
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Lavender
 

Post  Wed, Apr 08 2020, 6:40 pm
crust wrote:
No.
People can fight measles and not Corona.
It's not the same thing at all.
One hits the respiratory system and one does not.


My point was in both cases your immune system need to fight it and if you’re an at risk person in any way you stay away.
Back to top

amother




Purple
 

Post  Wed, Apr 08 2020, 6:46 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Why do you say no? Both have jobs in helping white blood cells mature. Do you have other information? I would love to learn more because I’ve been teaching it that way based on our textbook for years.

Sorry
Crust was joking so I just followed her lead
(Yeah blame it all on crust will ya?)
You’re right about what you said though- I was just being infantile
Back to top

crust




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Apr 08 2020, 6:57 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Yes... crust - omg. Are you ok? I’m worried. Say something. If you’re feeling confused: Please don’t put your appendix on the kaareh instead of your zroah.


I'm loling thanks for the last minute laugh
Back to top

amother




Coral
 

Post  Fri, Apr 10 2020, 3:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
In my circles, many people, adults included had measles last year. Of those who had measles last year most of them have a much milder form of corona. Symptoms are headache, no taste, etc. but no fever, no dreadful cough, no being in bed for 10 days. I wonder if there's anything to it or just coincidence.

What we do know is that measles can completely erase any immunity a person had previously, leaving them immunocompromised for up to two years after they recover. So they are more vulnerable to flu, colds, and pretty much everything. Think daycare illnesses, but for adults, who are generally less equipped than children to handle such overloads.

The anecdotal evidence you have is interesting, but proves nothing.

However, experts believe that children may be less affected by coronavirus because their immune systems are bombarded on a daily basis with tons of germs, and they are learning to deal with those germs all at once.

So an adult who reverts to "I have no immunity to anything, even a cold" status may be similarly bombarded with germs and may react similarly mildly. "May" being the key word here because this is just theory about kids and coronavirus, no one knows for sure.

And note - children are usually asymptomatic - these adults are not. Because no matter what, they are not children.

However, assuming it is true (assuming), it would once again prove that the anti-vax fears of "bombarding" children with several viruses and adjuvants at once is bunk and baseless. As we have known for several decades, children are exposed to thousands of germs and chemicals on a daily basis and deal with them just fine - vaccines were and will remain just a tiny insignificant drop in the "bombardment and overload" bucket.
Back to top

Metukah




 
 
 
 

Post  Sat, Apr 11 2020, 7:30 pm
crust wrote:
Any anecdotes about patients that had their appendix removed?

Appendix is supposed to protect you from pandemics. Or so the legend goes.


My appendix were removed 2 years ago. Dh and my baby, both who sleep in my room, had coronavirus and I didn't get it. Go figure.
Back to top

happyone




 
 
 
 

Post  Sat, Apr 11 2020, 9:26 pm
I had appendix removed and had it.
Back to top

amother




Pewter
 

Post  Sat, Apr 11 2020, 11:09 pm
I cant believe that ther are enough eligible people in your circle to use as evidence. Mostly kids got measles as 99% 20-60 year olds were immunized. The kids are not getting sick with corona so there is nothing to study.
Shame on you that in the mist of all this suffering you are only concern is that the measles issue isn't getting attention. If anything this pandemic should teach you what happens when there is no vaccine and only 2% die.
Back to top

amother




Olive
 

Post  Sun, Apr 12 2020, 12:14 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I cant believe that ther are enough eligible people in your circle to use as evidence. Mostly kids got measles as 99% 20-60 year olds were immunized. The kids are not getting sick with corona so there is nothing to study.
Shame on you that in the mist of all this suffering you are only concern is that the measles issue isn't getting attention. If anything this pandemic should teach you what happens when there is no vaccine and only 2% die.


Shame on you for concluding her only concern is that the measles issue isn't getting attention.
Back to top

Refine




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Apr 12 2020, 12:27 am
Anti vaccination in its current form is a relatively young movement.
Those that weren't vaccinated and got measles are most likely young.
Corona has been very mild or asymptomatic in all the kids and teens that I know that tested positive, and pretty mild in young adults.
Back to top

DrMom




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Apr 12 2020, 12:37 am
The response to covid-19 infection varies so widely and is a function of age, preexisting conditions, blood type, and a whole bunch of factors we probably haven't identified yet.

I doubt any single person's anecdotal observations are able to isolate measles vaccination history as a factor. The statistics are just not likely to be meaningful and there are too many confounding factors.

But there are over a million people who have had coronavirus infections worldwide. I'm sure someone can do a statistically meaningful study of this.

Until they do, everything is speculation.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Sun, Apr 12 2020, 12:51 am
DrMom wrote:
The response to covid-19 infection varies so widely and is a function of age, preexisting conditions, blood type, and a whole bunch of factors we probably haven't identified yet.

I doubt any single person's anecdotal observations are able to isolate measles vaccination history as a factor. The statistics are just not likely to be meaningful and there are too many confounding factors.

But there are over a million people who have had coronavirus infections worldwide. I'm sure someone can do a statistically meaningful study of this.

Until they do, everything is speculation.

Measles vaccination history is not a factor here. I didn't mention the word anywhere in the OP and didn't think it was relevant until someone questioned my sincerity because she didn't believe it's possible that I know many adults who had measles last year. Of th adults I know who didn't get measles (whether vaccinated or unvaccinated - again IRRELEVANT), some got strong corona cases, and those who were sick with measles got mild corona cases. Again I need to wonder why so many posters are jumping to conclusions regarding vaccinations. I'm NOT advocating not vaccinating for measles on the assumption that it may help with corona. I'm NOT trying to say anything between the lines other than speculating whether there is any connection.
Back to top

DrMom




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Apr 12 2020, 12:56 am
Okay, so substitute "measles" for "measles vaccination" in my post.

Same argument.

It would be interesting to see if there is a correlation. Hopefully someone will do a proper study.
Back to top

Batsheva1




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Apr 12 2020, 11:14 am
Just to add my input. I'm guessing that many many of the elderly people that are dying and sick with coronavirus had measles as kids/ weren't vaccinated as a kid. The vaccine didn't become available until 1963 and a large percentage of people with coronavirus were born way before that. Not being vaccinated, but rather suffering from measles as children didn't protect them from the disease, on the contrary, they are the most vulnerable. Age is a big factor and underlying health issues, not whether someone was vaccinated for measles as opposed to having it.
Back to top

amother




Coral
 

Post  Sun, Apr 12 2020, 11:16 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I cant believe that ther are enough eligible people in your circle to use as evidence. Mostly kids got measles as 99% 20-60 year olds were immunized. The kids are not getting sick with corona so there is nothing to study.
Shame on you that in the mist of all this suffering you are only concern is that the measles issue isn't getting attention. If anything this pandemic should teach you what happens when there is no vaccine and only 2% die.

In some areas it's closer to 10% who die.

This pandemic should teach anti-vaxxers what happens when too many people get sick with an illness all at once. This is exactly what would've happened if most of us hadn't been immune to measles during the outbreak and been able to surround the vulnerable with a protective "bubble."
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, Apr 13 2020, 10:26 pm
I spoke to someone about this yesterday and she told me that she knows of multiple cancer patients who are undergoing chemo and had corona with no symptoms. They were tested because they're undergoing treatments. If there's any connection, it would make sense that the common underlying factor between chemo patients and recent measles infection is suppressed immune system.
Back to top

amother




Coral
 

Post  Tue, Apr 14 2020, 2:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I spoke to someone about this yesterday and she told me that she knows of multiple cancer patients who are undergoing chemo and had corona with no symptoms. They were tested because they're undergoing treatments. If there's any connection, it would make sense that the common underlying factor between chemo patients and recent measles infection is suppressed immune system.

Or they can't differentiate between the symptoms of chemo and the symptoms of coronavirus.
Coronavirus' most common symptoms are not actually cough and shortness of breath - it's fever and extreme tiredness. Both of which can be easily confused with chemo side effects.

But let's say your theory is right, it would mean that immunosuppressants should be used to treat coronavirus. Which is bad news for after you recover, especially considering that recently-recovered coronavirus patients are ALSO considered immunosuppressed.
Back to top

amother




Red
 

Post  Tue, Apr 14 2020, 2:32 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
This pandemic should teach anti-vaxxers what happens when too many people get sick with an illness all at once. This is exactly what would've happened if most of us hadn't been immune to measles during the outbreak and been able to surround the vulnerable with a protective "bubble."

Prior to the measles vaccine, most people WERE immune to measles, and very few adults caught it. That's why pre-vaccine measles mortality rates were very low (under 1 in 10,000) and getting lower.

The main problem is that anti-vaxxers think they can turn back the clock on this one. It's too late, though. Either you purposely expose yourself to measles and then go into full quarantine until it passes, or else you are a danger to others. Natural life-long immunity for measles can no longer be assumed, and adults getting measles is bad news.

That's why, despite being very vaccine-wary, my family did take the MMR. I didn't think my kids were at serious risk from measles, but had no way to control exposure enough to quarantine responsibly and not spread it inadvertently.

This particular disease is unusual in that it affects a wide age range, causes serious effects requiring intensive care in a significant percentage, and has a fairly high mortality rate.

But we still don't know if a vaccine will fully be able to protect the vulnerable; just as you can have and spread coronavirus while being asymptomatic, a vaccinated person might also end up being able to have and spread coronavirus while remaining healthy. Hopefully the created vaccine will be highly effective in the most vulnerable population to make that a non-issue.

Otherwise, herd immunity will not be effective at protecting any high-risk individuals - just that since the "herd" is primarily immune, it is unlikely for a significant number to be ill at the same time. Which is something, as it protects the health-care system, but not what most of us think when we say "herd immunity."
Back to top

amother




Red
 

Post  Tue, Apr 14 2020, 2:37 am
Incidentally, they are trying other vaccines (such as polio or tuberculosis) with the hopes of getting some "crossover" protection from them. High levels of measles antibodies MIGHT* also provide some benefit, which COULD possibly lend some support to OP's theory.

(*Totally theoretically, and not recommending that anyone purposely catch measles, polio, tuberculosis or anything else as a method of preventing coronavirus risks. Do the right thing and stay at home, and don't do anything foolish like using fish tank cleaner or exposure to other contagious illnesses.)
Back to top

amother




Copper
 

Post  Tue, Apr 14 2020, 4:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I spoke to someone about this yesterday and she told me that she knows of multiple cancer patients who are undergoing chemo and had corona with no symptoms. They were tested because they're undergoing treatments. If there's any connection, it would make sense that the common underlying factor between chemo patients and recent measles infection is suppressed immune system.

Yay. So happy for them. The cancer patients I know (not personally to be honest, but patients of my dr) are in the icu.
So what does it prove...

Just love these theories. If that would be the case then my infectious disease Dr would not ask us to STAY HOME.
Back to top

amother




Red
 

Post  Tue, Apr 14 2020, 4:21 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Yay. So happy for them. The cancer patients I know (not personally to be honest, but patients of my dr) are in the icu.
So what does it prove...

Just love these theories. If that would be the case then my infectious disease Dr would not ask us to STAY HOME.

Although I am dubious, the theory MIGHT have some validity. But it would be irrelevant, because even if there is a small reduction in risk, it would be statistically insignificant when it comes to practical behavior.

For example, we're all okay with saying that people under 50 are at less risk. But that doesn't mean NO risk, and we still expect everyone of all ages to stay home. Because having a somewhat lower risk profile doesn't make you immune, not to the disease and not to the complications thereof. And, of course, it doesn't make you immune to transmitting it to others!

Additionally, of course, even if they are using malaria medications, nobody is recommending getting malaria to have full access to the drugs and the possible protective coronavirus benefit that gives!
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 3 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Evidence of voter fraud
by simcha2
1 Wed, Jun 03 2020, 4:13 pm View last post
More evidence of Truth is coming out 6 Thu, May 14 2020, 11:34 am View last post
No evidence of Corona Reinfection
by amother
16 Mon, May 04 2020, 12:10 pm View last post
"Not establish" vs "no evidence" (Mueller report) 31 Fri, Aug 30 2019, 11:53 am View last post
Bklyn restaurants with evidence of mice
by amother
10 Sun, Mar 31 2019, 7:33 pm View last post

Jump to: