Home

Can I boil eggs in soup water

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Wed, Apr 08 2020, 1:37 pm
I don't have another pot to use now- can I just throw in eggs to hard boil along with the soup?
Back to top

sub




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Apr 08 2020, 1:43 pm
Well if people put into cholent, I don’t see why not Wash well maybe wrap with parchment paper.
Back to top

amother




Aquamarine
 

Post  Wed, Apr 08 2020, 4:18 pm
I think the egg’s shell is considered slightly chometz. We always use a special egg pot.

I wouldn’t put a whole egg in a soup.

Maybe you have a different minhag
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Apr 08 2020, 4:20 pm
You can bake them in muffin tins, no water needed.
Back to top

DrMom




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Apr 09 2020, 3:31 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I think the egg’s shell is considered slightly chometz. We always use a special egg pot.

I wouldn’t put a whole egg in a soup.

Maybe you have a different minhag

If the eggshells are chometz (how exactly?) then you can't have them in your house in your possession on Pesach.

OP, I guess it's a but late, but maybe boil the eggs first and then use your one pot for soup?
Back to top

amother




Jetblack
 

Post  Sat, Apr 11 2020, 10:55 pm
DrMom wrote:
If the eggshells are chometz (how exactly?) then you can't have them in your house in your possession on Pesach.

OP, I guess it's a but late, but maybe boil the eggs first and then use your one pot for soup?


There is something to this. There is a thought that chometz could get on/into the eggs and so we have the custom to buy them all before Pesach begins and any trace of chometz that might be on/in them is then nulified before Pesach.

We don't hold by using a separate pot though. Curious, or the poster who says she does... what about baking? Kugels? There is egg in so many of our pesach recipes.
Back to top

amother




Coral
 

Post  Sat, Apr 11 2020, 11:05 pm
My sister n laws mom serves eggs in chicken soup and serves it by the seder. She claims it's delicious.
Back to top

amother




Aquamarine
 

Post  Sat, Apr 11 2020, 11:31 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
There is something to this. There is a thought that chometz could get on/into the eggs and so we have the custom to buy them all before Pesach begins and any trace of chometz that might be on/in them is then nulified before Pesach.

We don't hold by using a separate pot though. Curious, or the poster who says she does... what about baking? Kugels? There is egg in so many of our pesach recipes.


Only the eggshells are considered problematic. We use eggs in everything but when making hardboiled eggs we use a designated pot.

Some people wash the outside of the eggs before cracking them to use. I don’t.
Probably the same people that peel all vegetables and fruits would also be careful about egg shells.
Back to top

amother




Coral
 

Post  Sat, Apr 11 2020, 11:34 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Only the eggshells are considered problematic. We use eggs in everything but when making hardboiled eggs we use a designated pot.

Some people wash the outside of the eggs before cracking them to use. I don’t.
Probably the same people that peel all vegetables and fruits would also be careful about egg shells.


We only eat peeled produce and I never heard egg shells being a problem. I put it in my chalont. But I'll ask DH about eggshells.
Back to top

amother




Chartreuse
 

Post  Sat, Apr 11 2020, 11:43 pm
Call me a stupid balat tshuva but isn’t chametz we can’t see covered under the nullification of chametz? This is why coffee beans and Stam milk don’t have to be klp as long as purchased before pesach, before nullifying the chametz. I would have no issue cooking eggs I owned prior to bc. And if I had to buy during, I’d wash them. They’re also cold. Not to slag anyone’s minhag, but I can’t imagine it being an actually halachic issue. Of course, ask your own rabbi if you think it’s a problem.
Back to top

amother




Pumpkin
 

Post  Sun, Apr 12 2020, 12:03 am
I can’t believe no one suggested what I always do.
I boil hard boiled eggs in a disposable aluminum pan. Loaf pans work the best.
Back to top

amother




Wheat
 

Post  Sun, Apr 12 2020, 12:59 am
I also boil my eggs in tin pan but always double up as they can burn a hole
Also I know people cook eggs in the cholent even on pesach.
Back to top

amother




Amber
 

Post  Sun, Apr 12 2020, 2:59 am
I am under the impression that people have a separate egg pot because years ago, hens and roosters were kept together and then you might have an egg with a blood spot which was a problem. People used a separate, designated egg pot this way if they went to go eat a hard boiled egg and there was a blood spot, they new exactly which pot the egg was cooked in-that was now traif, and that nothing else had been cooked in the pot other the eggs.
One might??? arguing that the egg shell could conceivably come into contact with chametz, but that doesn't make senses. I imagine the reason why people have a custom of not cooking their eggs in the soup is because if they were to find a blood spot in the egg, the soup (and pot) would be garbage, and they may have eaten the traif soup before peeling that egg and finding the blood.
At this time, based on how chicken are housed/farmed, there is no risk of blood from a fertilized egg and according to many poskim this is no longer an issue with commercial eggs (non-commercial eggs/farm..... may be a different story). I would imagine that just as people cook eggs in chullent, soup would be the same.

*** I am not a posek and I am regular-logical frum. I do not have a wealth of minhaging and stringency. I don't use a white tablecloth, I do eat processed foods, and wash but don't peel my vegetables.
Back to top

amother




Babyblue
 

Post  Sun, Apr 12 2020, 3:03 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I am under the impression that people have a separate egg pot because years ago, hens and roosters were kept together and then you might have an egg with a blood spot which was a problem. People used a separate, designated egg pot this way if they went to go eat a hard boiled egg and there was a blood spot, they new exactly which pot the egg was cooked in-that was now traif, and that nothing else had been cooked in the pot other the eggs.
One might??? arguing that the egg shell could conceivably come into contact with chametz, but that doesn't make senses. I imagine the reason why people have a custom of not cooking their eggs in the soup is because if they were to find a blood spot in the egg, the soup (and pot) would be garbage, and they may have eaten the traif soup before peeling that egg and finding the blood.
At this time, based on how chicken are housed/farmed, there is no risk of blood from a fertilized egg and according to many poskim this is no longer an issue with commercial eggs (non-commercial eggs/farm..... may be a different story). I would imagine that just as people cook eggs in chullent, soup would be the same.

*** I am not a posek and I am regular-logical frum. I do not have a wealth of minhaging and stringency. I don't use a white tablecloth, I do eat processed foods, and wash but don't peel my vegetables.


How can you even give any advice if you don’t use a white tablecloth?
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Mushroom soup 4 Thu, May 28 2020, 1:13 am View last post
Lemon/Lime ice water
by smile
2 Wed, May 27 2020, 1:17 pm View last post
Best white wine for onion soup?
by amother
9 Mon, May 25 2020, 9:23 pm View last post
Chicken soup with chicken legs 14 Fri, May 22 2020, 1:11 pm View last post
Dietetic soup recipe. (Zucchini & Broccoli) 1 Wed, May 20 2020, 2:17 pm View last post

Jump to: