Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach Mayonaise ?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 8:12 am
The one I bought was so bad it actually ruined the food that had any of it in it 😕

I have a lot of oil left - only bought extra light olive oil this year. Anyone has a recipe for mayonaise? I never made it myself but heard it’s a lot better than bought.
I’d love to give it a try.
Thx

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 8:25 am
Gefen is the only one that makes a decent mayonnaise.

anonymrs

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 8:32 am
I make this recipe all year round.
1/4 c oil
1 egg
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
Blend well I'm food processor. Keep processor running and slowly drizzle in 1 cup oil. The more slowly you pour in the oil, the thicker the mayo comes out.

That's it! I'm sure you can do it. Btw I use extra light olive oil to make it and it's delicious!

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 8:49 am
Here's a great tip: Put the oil in a plastic cup and poke a small hole in the bottom. Put the cup in the feeder of the food processor to let the oil drip very slowly.
I'll post my recipe soon.
(Anon cause I've given this tip to many people.)

watergirl

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 8:53 am
Something was wrong with the mayo this year. No matter what brand. Everyone complained about the mayo on fb in the various groups I’m in.

ra_mom wrote:
Gefen is the only one that makes a decent mayonnaise.

We bought gefen. When we first opened it, it had a consistency like vanilla frosting (like the store bought kind - you have to work to scoop it out). Once it was opened, the oil separated and it was inedible. Even after mixing it, it separated right away again.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 8:58 am
anonymrs wrote:
I make this recipe all year round.
1/4 c oil
1 egg
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
Blend well I'm food processor. Keep processor running and slowly drizzle in 1 cup oil. The more slowly you pour in the oil, the thicker the mayo comes out.

That's it! I'm sure you can do it. Btw I use extra light olive oil to make it and it's delicious!

You’re recipe says 1/4 c oil. But drizzle 1 cup oil?
Do I blend all the recipe ing first and then drizzle the 1 cup oil? How much mayo do you get from this?

Someone told me to mix 1.5 cup oil, 2 eggs, 2 T lemon juice and 1.5 tsp salt in immersion blender.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 9:03 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Here's a great tip: Put the oil in a plastic cup and poke a small hole in the bottom. Put the cup in the feeder of the food processor to let the oil drip very slowly.
I'll post my recipe soon.
(Anon cause I've given this tip to many people.)

Do you do this yourself? Because I find that the mayo needs a steady stream, but not too slow. Whenever I get distracted and pour too slowly it doesn’t work. I put 2 cups oil in my mayo and it takes me about 45 seconds to pour it all in. I’ve heard the same from other people

syrima

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 9:05 am
I couldn't get mayo this year, was upset but now I'm glad!!!! 😁

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 9:07 am
I rarely fuss with the slow drizzling, drip by drip method. A slow pour will do.

A trick I learned, is that the egg can be replaced with raw cashews. You have to blend really well to keep it from feeling grainy, but once you get it smooth it will stay set for a very long time without separating. This is a good thing for people who can't eat raw egg. You only need about 6 or 7 cashews to replace one egg.

If you are going to use an egg, have it at room temperature, or a little warmer. It really does make a difference. I have no idea why, but once someone told me that my mayo has been coming out consistently good.

Now I make my own mayo for dips and dressings all year long, and save store bought mayo for when I really miss the taste of Hellmans on certain things.

I don't know if lecithin is KLP, but if you can find liquid lecithin (probably at a health food store or online) just a tiny bit works as the perfect emulsifier and is what food producers use for shelf stability.

anonymrs

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 9:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You’re recipe says 1/4 c oil. But drizzle 1 cup oil?
Do I blend all the recipe ing first and then drizzle the 1 cup oil? How much mayo do you get from this?

Someone told me to mix 1.5 cup oil, 2 eggs, 2 T lemon juice and 1.5 tsp salt in immersion blender.

1/4 c oil to blend with the first ingredients and an additional 1 c to be poured in slowly. It's about a 1lb container, maybe a drop less. I usually double or triple the recipe.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 9:16 am
watergirl wrote:
Something was wrong with the mayo this year. No matter what brand. Everyone complained about the mayo on fb in the various groups I’m in.

We bought gefen. When we first opened it, it had a consistency like vanilla frosting (like the store bought kind - you have to work to scoop it out). Once it was opened, the oil separated and it was inedible. Even after mixing it, it separated right away again.

That's awful! We bought the Gefen light mayonnaise and it's been good.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 9:18 am
ra_mom wrote:
That's awful! We bought the Gefen light mayonnaise and it's been good.

Same. Ours is fine.

ladYdI

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 9:23 am
In a 2 lb container
1 egg
1 cup oil
Tsp salt
Tsp sugar
Tsp lemon
Using immersion blender leave on bottom of container and blend leaving the blender on the bottom the whole time
I saw this video on kosher.com a while back but can’t find it
Maybe somebody can find and post the link
You can add garlic and or pepper to flavor it more and then it’s a delicious dip/dressing
Yum!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 9:28 am
ladYdI wrote:
In a 2 lb container
1 egg
1 cup oil
Tsp salt
Tsp sugar
Tsp lemon
Using immersion blender leave on bottom of container and blend leaving the blender on the bottom the whole time
I saw this video on kosher.com a while back but can’t find it
Maybe somebody can find and post the link
You can add garlic and or pepper to flavor it more and then it’s a delicious dip/dressing
Yum!

Add a little bit more lemon, some fresh garlic (not too much), a dash of pepper, and a whole bunch of fresh dill. This is amazing on salads, salmon (pour on as sauce, or bake on salmon), or as a veggie dip. If you do gebrockts it's good for a matza dip too.

small bean

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 10:21 am
1 eggs
1tsp salt
2tsp sugar
3tsp lemon juice

Put in food processor and mix.

Slowly add 2 cups of oil while the food processor is mixing. Let it mix for another 2 to 3 minutes.

My kids love it they wait the whole year for this mayo.... all store bought pesach mayo ia gross.

If it flops because oil was added to quickly then you can add another egg and it can be used in salad dressing.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 10:26 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Do you do this yourself? Because I find that the mayo needs a steady stream, but not too slow. Whenever I get distracted and pour too slowly it doesn’t work. I put 2 cups oil in my mayo and it takes me about 45 seconds to pour it all in. I’ve heard the same from other people

Yes I do this, and my mayo comes out great. The hole is big enough to stream the oil very slowly. Here's my recipe:
2 whole eggs
1/8 tsp salt
2 T Lemon juice or vinegar
2 c oil (I used olive oil)

Beat or blend eggs. Add salt and lemon juice. Add oil in very slow stream while beating constantly until thick.
10-12 minutes.

ladYdI

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 10:31 am
My mayo always used to flop until I found this version on kosher.com with the immersion blender
Way easier and fool proof!!

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 11:02 am
I bought Lieber's Lite.
It was awful!!

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 11:08 am
I made it with immersion blender..I made it twice once with olive oil, I didn't like the smell..Made it again with walnut oil, tastes yumm!!

watergirl

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 3:04 pm
watergirl wrote:

Correction. We bought leibers. According to my local fb group, there was an issue with the entire batch or line this year. The ratios were off or something. Our local store is giving money back for it to anyone who brings back their jar. We threw ours out, but at least I know its not just us.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics