Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach Mayonaise ?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 12:41 pm
OP, please make sure that the oil and the eggs are in room temperature before you start. making mayonaisse with cold eggs is not a good idea at all.
Good luck

mfb

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 1:38 pm
I actually freeze my oil for mayonnaise

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 1:44 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Here's a great tip: Put the oil in a plastic cup and poke a small hole in the bottom. Put the cup in the feeder of the food processor to let the oil drip very slowly.
I'll post my recipe soon.
(Anon cause I've given this tip to many people.)

Yes! I do it this way too! It’s amazing! And another bonus is that I feel like I’m doing 2 things at once.
I just let it run it’s course.

glamourmom

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 4:54 pm
not sure which I bought but it was BAD too. now I have a ripe avocado waiting to be eaten....

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 4:57 pm
glamourmom wrote:
not sure which I bought but it was BAD too. now I have a ripe avocado waiting to be eaten....

Mash until smooth with a metal fork. Add a splash of lemon and season with garlic and salt (or grated onion). Heaven. It will be finished in no time, scooped up by matzah or cut veggies.

penguin

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 5:01 pm
BTW take a look at your food processor pusher! Mine has a little hole in the bottom, which, as far as I know, is just for the purpose of drizzling mayonnaise! (Although perhaps it also has to do with that slice of onion creating a suction & you can't get it out... not sure...)

glamourmom

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 5:04 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Mash until smooth with a metal fork. Add a splash of lemon and season with garlic and salt (or grated onion). Heaven. It will be finished in no time, scooped up by matzah or cut veggies.

think I'll do this. we love avocado but only one specific way, creamy. maybe this could work too. thanks for always having great advice.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 5:08 pm
glamourmom wrote:
think I'll do this. we love avocado but only one specific way, creamy. maybe this could work too. thanks for always having great advice.

Make some sweet potato chips and use as crackers. Yum!

sunflowershine

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 5:19 pm
OMG yes. The Mayo was absolutely terrible and ruined the taste of everything

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 5:26 pm
I would not eat homemade mayo because it has raw eggs which can make you sick

groisamomma

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 9:07 pm
watergirl wrote:
Correction. We bought leibers. According to my local fb group, there was an issue with the entire batch or line this year. The ratios were off or something. Our local store is giving money back for it to anyone who brings back their jar. We threw ours out, but at least I know its not just us.

I'll admit after reading this thread I opened and checked our 2nd one just in case. The Gefen lite ones are fine. Liebers must have made a mistake.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 9:27 pm
watergirl wrote:
Correction. We bought leibers. According to my local fb group, there was an issue with the entire batch or line this year. The ratios were off or something. Our local store is giving money back for it to anyone who brings back their jar. We threw ours out, but at least I know its not just us.

My husband and I had the same experience. It had a lemony off taste. We bought at a stop and shop so I never like to make a fuss for them with the kosher distributor etc. the classic pesach fruit roll ups we got were from last year and beyond gross also. Such a shame. Living OOT does not make this pesach thing more fun.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 12:15 am
watergirl wrote:

Also bought Leibers lite and it’s Puke Puke
But I live OOT and don’t feel right going back to the small kosher grocery to complain. Especially this year.
We normally buy gefen but store only had leibers
I ended up making my own yesterday & turned out very good. Will throw out the 1 unopened jar I have

princessleah

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:46 am
I made my own for the first time this year and I was so excited to try it! I used olive oil and I found the taste totally overpowering. Couldn’t eat it. What a waste

Simple1

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:53 am
syrima wrote:
I couldn't get mayo this year, was upset but now I'm glad!!!! 😁

And I got not KLP mayo in my delivery and had to put it away. Also glad I didn't get the right one!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:54 am
I used extra light olive oil.
Taste of mayo very good. You don’t taste the olive in it.

I actually decided this year to use it for everything. Didn’t buy cottonseed.
My pesach splurge.

princessleah

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:08 am
I used EVOO, maybe that's the difference? Is light better?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:09 am
princessleah wrote:
I used EVOO, maybe that's the difference? Is light better?

Yes. Extra light olive oil.
Very different than EVOO

shanie5

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 10:20 am
ladYdI wrote:
In a 2 lb container
1 egg
1 cup oil
Tsp salt
Tsp sugar
Tsp lemon
Using immersion blender leave on bottom of container and blend leaving the blender on the bottom the whole time
I saw this video on kosher.com a while back but can’t find it
Maybe somebody can find and post the link
You can add garlic and or pepper to flavor it more and then it’s a delicious dip/dressing
Yum!

It's from the tste of kosher. It showed up when I googled pesach mayo.
Then I checked here, saw your post and figured it's worth a try. Just made it, and it worked like a charm.
I used safflower oil.

https://www.thetasteofkosher.c.....aise/

I bought gefen mayo in a squeeze jar before pesach. It was fine.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 10:38 am
I am very picky when it comes to mayo in general and my mother in law makes the best pesach mayo so I asked her for the recipe this year since we stayed home.

2 eggs at room temperature
Add 1/2 teaspoon salt
Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice - Homemade lemon juice squeezed from fresh lemon.
Add 2 cups cottonseed oil slowly - You only have to add the oil slowly if you make the mayo in the food processor. (Do not use olive oil for this recipe since it won't taste good)

You can also use a hand blender which makes it really easy to whip up and you can add all the ingredients listed abovce at once.

Make sure all your ingredients are room temp. This is the best recipe I've ever tried. You won't regret it if you make it right. If you have any questions, let me know. It's so good that I would prefer to eat this mayo throughout the year as opposed to Hellmans Mayo.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics