Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Mishpacha Magazine
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 12:08 pm
I havent bought Mishpacha in a few years except for Sukkos and Pesach.
Is it me, or have the advertisements and articles become heavily skewed chassidish?
This Pesach, it feels very much chassidish-bent, with badchans and all the featured Rebbe articles.
I find it a weird juxtaposition against the family first interviews with Yaffa ganz, Reb Rosenwasser and Claire the shaitelmacher.
Anyone else?

Also, another question:

There was an article about a frum veterinarian (!!!) with a full page discussion how to approach getting a pet and how to decide to get a dog (!!)

Michlala is not exactly the current ideal of "BY seminary".... it's a great place, but my BY girls say flatbush/ monsey/ lakewood still won't send there...

I'm confused. What's the hashkafa? Has it changed?

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 12:10 pm
I don't think so necessarily, I think what they're doing is trying to appeal to as wide a range as possible of our community- hence, articles that Chassidim will relate to, as well as articles that non-Chassidim will relate to- as well as everyone in between

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 12:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I havent bought Mishpacha in a few years except for Sukkos and Pesach.
Is it me, or have the advertisements and articles become heavily skewed chassidish?
This Pesach, it feels very much chassidish-bent, with badchans and all the featured Rebbe articles.
I find it a weird juxtaposition against the family first interviews with Yaffa ganz, Reb Rosenwasser and Claire the shaitelmacher.
Anyone else?

You didn't buy it in afew years and you're making an assumption based on one issue?????
They interview all sorts of people of all types of sects. This issue happens to be about chassidim. But it's not a chassidish magazine at all.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 12:15 pm
Yes, that's why I asked. I havent bought it in a few years, and I wonder if it has changed much, or its only this one Pesach issue I read.

If it's just me, that's fine. I did enjoy it.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 12:20 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
I don't think so necessarily, I think what they're doing is trying to appeal to as wide a range as possible of our community- hence, articles that Chassidim will relate to, as well as articles that non-Chassidim will relate to- as well as everyone in between

I have to agree with this one. Although they're hashkafically way to the right they somewhat try to appeal to a wider crowd.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 12:23 pm
The beauty of the mishpacha is that it includes people from all walks of life, from chassidish to modern orthodox to secular to litvish.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 12:51 pm
I think it appeals to a nice wide range of people with all sorts of articles and viewpoints, doesn't seem particularly chassidish to me, rather inclusive of all types. Its a great magazine.

itsmeima

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 1:11 pm
Oh my goodness, they had an article on pets! NO WAY!

Personally I found the magazine a waste of money. It was so blah!

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 4:56 am
itsmeima wrote:

Did you buy the magazine?
I loved the article about the young vet, shows that you can be frum and still chose a profession out of the box so to say.

shevi82

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:18 am
itsmeima wrote:

I find it great enjoyable frum reading materiel. And they do try to have a wide range, quite successfuly it seems.

malki2

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:13 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I have to agree with this one. Although they're hashkafically way to the right they somewhat try to appeal to a wider crowd.

I don’t generally quote Ilhan Omar, may she grow like an onion with her head in the ground, but in the case of the magazines, it really IS all about the Benjamins, baby.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 9:07 am
I really enjoyed the magazine (as I do almost every week). Something I've noticed is that the Yom tov edition of the main magazine almost always features a chassidish rav on the cover. I kind of wonder about that tradition. I imagine they want to feature someone ruchniusdig, but it's odd that it's (almost) never someone who isn't chassidish.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 9:19 am
What's wrong with pets?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 9:29 am
I have a mishpacha subscription, but haven't done it justice yet this Y"T....thanks guys, I will make sure my resident animal-lover gets to the article about the vet (though I hope it doesn't give her any ideas....I said NO MORE PETS for a while and I MEANT IT.)

My girls are BY/Lakewood and not type to go to Michlala, but I have no objections to them reading about it in an article. One of the frummest, most refined girls in my Shana-bet class in seminary had gone to Michlala the previous year. I tell my girls that all the time.

(and in my BJJ year, there were students who had applied to both seminaries. It's what I liked about seminary - the diversity - and it's a shame that seminaries are more boxy these days, IMVHO).

I like the diversity of the articles, and if it broadens our thinking a bit (and hopefully our Ahavas Yisrael) that's fine with me.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 9:30 am
LovesHashem wrote:
What's wrong with pets?

For one...the hay that gets all over the house.....

Laiya

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 11:00 am
LovesHashem wrote:
What's wrong with pets?

There are some halachic concerns, such as issues of muktzah, neutering, etc.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 11:16 am
I actually found it wryly amusing that almost all the ads were for special needs organizations!
I guess they couldnt advertise chol hamoed venues this year....

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 11:55 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Did you buy the magazine?
I loved the article about the young vet, shows that you can be frum and still chose a profession out of the box so to say.

Yes, I loved that one and the one about people who created these amazing organizations (I couldn’t stop crying). I also found it fascinating that people spend $1700 on linen!

That’s all I could get myself to read. It’s not worth $10! Sorry!

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 11:55 am
Laiya wrote:
There are some halachic concerns, such as issues of muktzah, neutering, etc.

I was really impressed with the way he handled the neutering issur while in med school- he managed to stick up for himself and did not perform any, it was very admirable. and he works in a large practice with many other vets so I'm sure he leaves all the neutering to the non jewish vets.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 11:59 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Yes, I love that one and the one about people who created these amazing organizations (I couldn’t stop crying). I also found it fascinating that people spend $1700 on linen!

That’s all I could get myself to read. It’s not worth $10! Sorry!

Best/worst article ever!!! Totally horrified and intrigued at the same time!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room