Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Upstate Scene This Summer
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 1:28 pm
I do not have kids in the parshah of summer camps but I have a business that goes upstate every summer.

Obviously, with corona going around, a lot is up in the air, but I am wondering if any camps or bungalows definitively closed already or if they are holding out until we know more?

I am wondering if it's worth planning somewhat to go upstate again (very difficult to do everything last-minute) and I am kind of holding my breath at this point. Anyone have any updates on the situation from your colony owner/camps?

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 1:32 pm
Many people that have homes there are there already.
You might not have the bungalow colonies open but there will be many people there.

Many.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 3:45 pm
Yes, that is true, but there are also a ton of people who rent bungalows/kids go to camp. I'm wondering what'll happen with all those people. If camps close, I feel like the true upstate scene will be over for many businesses, and I cannot see how they will operate if everyone will be sharing one public pool.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 4:19 pm
I thought I read that the county stated they would not give permits to camps to operate this summer?
It depends on the business, and whether or not it is sustainable with business solely from bungalow dwellers or if it needs money from camps as well.
I'm thinking also it's possible for there to be a term of summer school, so that might cut into the total amount of people traveling to bungalows as well (or the length of time they may stay).

SingALong

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 5:12 pm
Im a homeowner in a bungalow colony. If my kids Still have no school and no camp, I might still go just to have a change Of scenery. That will depend if my local grocery will be open and if other people in my colony will be there. Of course having our pool open will be a major plus but I’m not counting on it. I imagine many homeowners will do the same.

I hope drs and medical professionals will come out specifically to say if that will be safe or not, If we still need to maintain social distancing, like if ppl mingling together in the colony And We’re not together all year, will new strains of the virus spread...
I don’t know what the state will regulate as far as rentals, since that Also makes up a huge chunk of the summer crowd.
I think most ppl ar waiting until after Pesach to see what the situation is.

sweetdimples

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 6:49 pm
following. I also gave a hefty deposit for my sons camp...can I kiss the money goodbye or is there grounds for a refund? and though I do own property upstate, its a real bungalow...I hope we will be allowed to dwell there this summer. I pay a hefty amount ib taxes/maintenance

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 9:18 pm
I already paid in full for camp for my daughter (early bird discount) and it's her last year as a camper so the money can't even be held over for next year. I hope I get refunded if camp is canceled Can't Believe It

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 9:27 pm

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 9:43 pm
delete

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 11:24 pm
I'm pretty sure this'll be over by July. Even by June.

elisheva25

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 11:24 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

How can you know ?

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 11:27 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

The question is if it has already reached places in Upstate like Fallsburg, Kingston and Ellenville.

If not they might keep it closed just because they will be afraid to bring it up there.

cnc

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 11:32 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

What makes you sure?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 11:53 pm
Because even china went back to normalcy within 3 months after the outbreak started.
It was minimal in December, rampant in January, better in February, almost done in March, and by April 1 Wuhan is back to normal.
It started in New York at the end of Feb minimally, came into March with a wallop - this was our January. It's getting a li'l better in April and will be much better by May. In June this'll be done.
Check the charts and projections. We hit the apex earlier than thought, BH BH.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 11:58 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Because even china went back to normalcy within 3 months after the outbreak started.
It was minimal in December, rampant in January, better in February, almost done in March, and by April 1 Wuhan is back to normal.
It started in New York at the end of Feb minimally, came into March with a wallop - this was our January. It's getting a li'l better in April and will be much better by May. In June this'll be done.

But we have it worse than China did. And dealt with it worse. So presumably it’ll stick around here for a little longer. If it sticks around for 3 months, instead of 5, there goes our summer plans

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 11:59 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

There's a resurgence in China. They were barricading people in their apartments - murdering them to keep them from spreading the disease. We can't base our projections off China's unreliable data.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 12:00 am
Oh and also, it’s April 12th and Wuhan is STILL not entirely back to normal (although it is true they have begun lifting many restrictions)

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 12:06 am
There is a high likelyhood it will not be back to normal fully yet. Make a plan A and a plan B so you can be prepared.

They will probably (educated guess) ban the camps and colonies with a contingency to go back to regular if they feel things have normalized enough.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 12:20 am
If there are tests for immunity that may help things get back to normal a little.

Amarante

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 12:31 am
Until there are sufficient tests to test those who are infected as well as those who are over the disease and presumably have acquired immunity, they cannot lift the restrictions.

We are nowhere close to the levels of testing and tracking infections that those countries have which might start experimenting with some lifting if restrictions.

How can they lift restrictions. if there is no way to know whether people are contagious or in danger of becoming infected. There are also still no ways to treat the disease and no explanation as to why some seemingly healthy younger people are seriously ill.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics