Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Cardamon, cloves, nutmeg, dried ginger and ground allspice

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 3:59 pm
This pesach I haven't been able to find some of the above spices.
Does anyone know if these spices are considered kitniot?
I found whole allspice and last year I also found dried ginger. But what about the cardamon, cloves and nutmeg?
I live in EY and I was thinking that in the US there might be a larger selection of spices for pesach.
TIA![b]
Edited spelling mistake

etky

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 4:17 pm
Allspice, nutmeg and ginger are not kitniyot.
Cardamon is considered kitniyot AFAIK.
Not familiar with clover.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 4:49 pm
Is it possible you mean cloves rather than clover? Cloves aren't kitniot.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 5:08 pm
imasoftov wrote:

Cloves are definitely considered kitniyos in some circles. They are not available in BP supermarkets' Pesach sections. Instead, they sell other havdala blends.

etky

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 5:18 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Cloves are definitely considered kitniyos in some circles. They are not available in BP supermarkets' Pesach sections. Instead, they sell other havdala blends.

In Israel cloves are available certified kasher le-Pesach lelo chashash kitniyot as per OP's question.
Whether it is her minag to use them or not is something she has to clarify for herself.
There are different shitot as with many spices.

iyar

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 5:29 pm
Some people don’t use cloves on Pesach. No idea what the reason is - I can’t imagine it’s considered kitniyos but who knows? Whatever the reason, that must be why I never find cloves in the Pesach spices at the supermarket. In the past I found allspice berries and used those, this year there were none. Some of the spices you don’t find might not be problematic, it’s just not worth their while to go through the bother of making a special klp batch of every single spice. They stick to the basics, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, cinnamon. (Some people don’t use garlic btw.) If their basics are not your personal favorite basics you might have a problem. This year there were a lot of things I couldn’t get and I suspect I’m not the only one.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 5:31 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:

I find that puzzling because they come from a tree but OK.

nanny24/7

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 5:53 pm
Same
I couldn't find any turmeric or chili powder either. Only found paprika, black pepper, garlic, and onion. Granted I did not go out and only ordered from whatever stores delivered to me.
I live in Brooklyn.

cbsp

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 5:56 pm
imasoftov wrote:
I find that puzzling because they come from a tree but OK.

From here (last section):

https://oukosher.org/passover/.....iyot/

Other Minhagim

In addition to the well-known minhag of not eating kitniyot, the Rema (467:8) cites customs to not eat honey, raisins, dried fruit, sugar, saffron and cloves, and other Poskim cite numerous other customs from specific communities. Many of these minhagim are limited to cases where the person doesn’t know for sure that the product doesn’t contain chametz, and therefore many of these minhagim are not practiced nowadays because the hashgachah on the food guarantees that it is chametz-free. As with all matters of halacha, one who is unsure as to whether a family or community custom remains in effect, should consult with their Rav.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 6:00 pm
We only use salt sugar
Black pepper that we grind from balls
Cinnamon that we grind from sticks
Fresh ginger
No garlic or any spices

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 4:02 am
imasoftov wrote:

Yes, cloves. tziporen in Hebrew.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 4:04 am
etky wrote:
In Israel cloves are available certified kasher le-Pesach lelo chashash kitniyot as per OP's question.
Whether it is her minag to use them or not is something she has to clarify for herself.
There are different shitot as with many spices.

Do you know which brand that carries cloves? TIA

etky

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 4:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you know which brand that carries cloves? TIA

https://www.tv-spices.co.il/pr.....7%9f/

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 4:12 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
We only use salt sugar
Black pepper that we grind from balls
Cinnamon that we grind from sticks
Fresh ginger
No garlic or any spices

I couldn't find cinnamon in small packages which I finג every year. Only a huge container of ground cinnamon and that's not worth it for me.
Funny about cinnamon sticks, Rav Landau in EY don't approve cinnamon sticks even for yemot hashana. don't ask me why.
But I am sure you inspect the sticks very carefully before grinding them. Actually should be fresher and tastier than already ground cinnamon.
Do you use fresh herbs like parsley, dill or basil?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics