Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Is it weird to use a Yiddish name if...
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:53 am
If im not naming after someone and am not chassidish? Names like Raizel, Liba, Blimi etc

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:58 am
It's not weird, unless there is some additional context that would make it weird.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:05 am
Yes. Why saddle a kid with a Yiddish name if you don't have to? Use a Hebrew name, please.

It's not going to ruin the child's life, but you're not doing her any favors either.

Hillery

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:06 am
It's only 'weird' if you're not ashkenazi. Otherwise there's nothing wrong with using Yiddish names.

essie14

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 7:13 am
It depends on your circles. In my circles, no one gives a Yiddish name as a first name, even if you are naming for a parent or grandparent. It would only be as a second name.

grace413

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 7:13 am
Hillery wrote:
It's only 'weird' if you're not ashkenazi. Otherwise there's nothing wrong with using Yiddish names.

It's not wise to give a child a Yiddish name if they are not in a Yiddish speaking environment. Just as it's not wise to give a child a very out of the ordinary name. I'm speaking from personal experience.

ceebee

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 7:20 am
Some Yiddish names have a more modern ring to them, they almost sound Hebrew. So I would not rule out all Yiddish names but I wouldn’t use names like Yenta or Shprintza. A name like Liba though sounds pretty.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 7:21 am
Hillery wrote:

Also bad In a place where it's considered weird, like in most chareidi circles in EY

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 7:23 am
grace413 wrote:
It's not wise to give a child a Yiddish name if they are not in a Yiddish speaking environment. Just as it's not wise to give a child a very out of the ordinary name. I'm speaking from personal experience.

This, with the caveat that maybe it's okay if it's normal to give Yiddish names in your circle. If you're not naming for someone and it's not usual in your circles, please be very careful. There are some names that are commonly considered "nebbish", even in Yiddish speaking circles, and people rarely give them as first names when naming for someone.

I do know someone not in Yiddish speaking circles that named her child "Suri", though, because she liked it, and got away with it because Suri Cruz was a commonly known name. I still thought it was weird because I thought the original name even in Yiddish circles is Sarah and Suri is the nickname, but maybe I'm wrong.

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 7:28 am
I think everyone on this thread would agree - give your kid a nice name, not an embarrassing one, whatever the language.

There are beautiful Yiddish/Hebrew/Chinese names, and ones that are traumatizing. (As ceebee rightly said - "yenta" is off the table, in any language.) I know a family whom named their children full (Hebrew) sentences, and it's horrible for the kids. There are fashionable names, classic names, all the names in the world. Just try not to give your kid a name that will get him beat up in the bathroom, and you're good.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 7:31 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I do know someone not in Yiddish speaking circles that named her child "Suri", though, because she liked it, and got away with it because Suri Cruz was a commonly known name. I still thought it was weird because I thought the original name even in Yiddish circles is Sarah and Suri is the nickname, but maybe I'm wrong.

You mean she actually named her daughter Suri, and not Sarah, as the given name and not a nickname?

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 9:09 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
You mean she actually named her daughter Suri, and not Sarah, as the given name and not a nickname?

All Suri's are Sarah and called Suri. No one gives Suri by a kiddush.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 9:11 am
grace413 wrote:

Many Yiddish names are pretty universal ordinary names and typically given in not Yiddish speaking circles. It really depends where you live. In NY, it's pretty common. There are Sara, Rifky, Raizy, Perry, Leah, Dina in all circles. In Israel it's not so common.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 9:17 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Many Yiddish names are pretty universal ordinary names and typically given in not Yiddish speaking circles. It really depends where you live. In NY, it's pretty common. There are Sara, Rifky, Raizy, Perry, Leah, Dina in all circles. In Israel it's not so common.

Names from Tanach are not Yiddish. Sara, Rivka, Leah and Dina are all Hebrew names from the Chumash.

Raizy and Perry are Yiddish.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 9:19 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Names from Tanach are not Yiddish. Sara, Rivka, Leah and Dina are all Hebrew names from the Chumash.

Raizy and Perry are Yiddish.

In NY, Raizy and Perry are common names in all circles.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 10:00 am
You can name your child whatever you want. And if you don't worry about what others say it will be a benefit to your child. As long as it's a good Jewish name. Don't worry about what social circle you're in.

I remember a few years ago my son was playing in the park and this very wild child was harrasing him. The child's mother kept yelling at him "Hunter! Leave the boy alone!" My son came up to me and said "no wonder the kid acts so wild. They named him Hunter! Like eisav!"

heidi

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 10:10 am
Rappel wrote:
I think everyone on this thread would agree - give your kid a nice name, not an embarrassing one, whatever the language.

There are beautiful Yiddish/Hebrew/Chinese names, and ones that are traumatizing. (As ceebee rightly said - "yenta" is off the table, in any language.) I know a family whom named their children full (Hebrew) sentences, and it's horrible for the kids. There are fashionable names, classic names, all the names in the world. Just try not to give your kid a name that will get him beat up in the bathroom, and you're good.

I know that family!!!

heidi

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 10:12 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
All Suri's are Sarah and called Suri. No one gives Suri by a kiddush.

Girls are named during an aliyah to the Torah.
Not by a kiddush

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 10:15 am
heidi wrote:
Not by a kiddush

You know what I mean.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 10:20 am
heidi wrote:
Not by a kiddush

Our rav said that during social distancing we can name the girl whenever we want, on our own--even in the hospital. girls names go by what they are known by.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names