Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
My marror had no taste or sharpness!
1  2  Next

cookiewriter

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:36 pm
Hi. Even though this is a question for next year haha. I made pesach for the first time. As did my friends. All of us had bland tasteless marror. We got the horseradish root from different groceries so it can’t be that.
I ground it with an ‘s’ blade till really pulverized right before yontiv started. Put it in ziploc bag and pushed out all the air.
That’s it.
What did I do wrong??? Also it was super dry and saw dust y texture wise

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:43 pm
It may have been a bad year for horseradish, or the root may have been old. Was the skin wrinkled? Given how dry you say it was, it had probably been harvested quite a long time ago. Fresh root would be moist and the ground product would leak some liquid. I assume you got horseradish and not parsnip, which looks similar. Parsnip would taste sweetish, but it, too, would be mildly juicy when ground up, assuming it was reasonably fresh.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:50 pm
I've noticed that the skinnier, smaller horseradish (which I gravitate to since we don't need much) do not have flavor.
Also, the time to buy a small air-proof jar is now. Everything evaporates from plastic, and even from glass if there is too much space from the top of the grated horseradish to the top of the sealed jar.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:52 pm
My DH complained about this too. I thought it was hot enough for me but I'm kind of a baby about that stuff. Maybe it was old. We just got ours from shop rite this year and I'm sure my mil usually gets it from a special veg store.

mha3484

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:56 pm
Mine was really intense. I got it from my local chain store. I dont use a food processor, I use a juilenne peeler and my eyes were burning.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:02 pm
zaq wrote:
It may have been a bad year for horseradish, or the root may have been old. Was the skin wrinkled? Given how dry you say it was, it had probably been harvested quite a long time ago. Fresh root would be moist and the ground product would leak some liquid. I assume you got horseradish and not parsnip, which looks similar. Parsnip would taste sweetish, but it, too, would be mildly juicy when ground up, assuming it was reasonably fresh.

I am loling at the possibility that it was a parsnip

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:10 pm
You all probably have corona.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:12 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
You all probably have corona. Very Happy

Lol I was about to say maybe you have the coronavirus!

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:23 pm
Our plain horseradish was bland and tasteless. But I also made my own chrain with beets and horseradish and that is extremely tasty AND very sharp. So I can’t figure it out.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:30 pm
Ours was super bland also!! We’ve been home for four or five years now, and this was our first bland one.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:31 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Mine was really intense. I got it from my local chain store. I dont use a food processor, I use a juilenne peeler and my eyes were burning.

So it comes out in strips? Is it a similar consistency to when you shred it in the food processor?

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:33 pm
ours was bland as well ... no crying whatsoever except crying that we couldn't cry

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:34 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
You all probably have corona. Very Happy

but everything else had a taste Wink

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:37 pm
Horseradish loses its flavor quickly when exposed to air, so grated or ground horseradish root, even if stored properly, doesn't have the same "wow!" as thicker slices made right before the Seder.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:38 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Horseradish loses its flavor quickly when exposed to air, so grated or ground horseradish root, even if stored properly, doesn't have the same "wow!" as thicker slices made right before the Seder.

We always put it right into the containers, and it’s never been bland before. It had no taste at all. Like not even a memory of once having had a good kick. All other years, it’s been super strong.

mrsjay

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:50 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
We always put it right into the containers, and it’s never been bland before. It had no taste at all. Like not even a memory of once having had a good kick. All other years, it’s been super strong.

Ours as well! No taste no sharpness at all Sad this year seems to have been a bad maror year.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:57 pm
It was a bad Marror year. Kind of ironic -don't you think.
This year it was difficult to find, unlike past years, and everyone I know said that if they did get, it was practically tasteless.
Maybe Hashem feels we have enough bitterness this Pesach?

cookiewriter

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:57 pm
Op here.
I did have corona but my tastebuds r back. And it was not parsnip. Lolllll!!!! These guys were giant and covered in brown dirt and hair and idk what

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 7:02 pm
Mine was also tasteless and bland. My mother made me chrain which dh said was very sharp. I noticed that mine was very bland when I grated it the day before pesach.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 7:19 pm
Yup everyone in my area also said the same thing - totally not sharp and prepared the same exact way as every year.

Family in other countries said it was super sharp so I guess it just had to do with the crop we got.

For next year though, keeping a chunk of ungrated horseradish in the bag/container with the grated stuff is also a good way to keep it sharp. Don’t try eat the chunk though!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics