Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Cute Stories
Best and worst thing you ever made?
1  2  Next

rachel0615

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 2:32 pm
Just for the sake of light conversation and maybe some new yummy recipes:

Worst- baked eggplant parm- eggplant didnt cook enough and just ichy all around

Best- my DH would prob say pecan bars bc it's the first thing I made for him while dating. I think I make really good fakeout chicken marsala

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 3:04 pm
Best thing I made - my children!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 3:07 pm
rachel0615 wrote:

Best- my DH would prob say pecan bars bc it's the first thing I made for him while dating. I think I make really good fakeout chicken marsala

Hint for eggplant: presteam in the microwave or a pot.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 3:15 pm
rachel0615 wrote:

Our pesach macaroni is hard and crunchy, despite boiling it for the required minutes.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 5:18 pm
rachel0615 wrote:

Made a great goulash yesterday, even my picky child had 2 heaping portions.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 5:25 pm
brownies from a cake mix
and my kids

Ravenclaw

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 6:00 pm
I wanted to be creative and make up my own recipe, so I cooked chicken in wine and stuffed it with crumbled crackers (was trying to get rid of it before pesach).
It was disgusting.

ladYdI

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 6:02 pm
Every pesach I try a different kishke or Chulent kugel recipe and it always flops!
It’s either gummy or runny

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 6:20 pm
Best is any Persian stew, my husband gets so happy and it looks way more impressive than the effort actually takes. Also kibbeh the other week, those were all gone within 24 hours.

Worst thing I ever made was asparagus spaghetti, IDK what I was thinking, looked way better in the photos but was practically inedible. I can never get spaghetti to not clump together.

amother grey do you have a recipe for the goulash?

avrahamama

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 6:32 pm
Worst: apparently my pancakes win the prize for being the crunchiest ...

Best: red chicken soup with couscous

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 6:58 pm
Meat lasagna. Worst ever. First year of marriage. We still talk about after 20plus years.

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 7:28 pm
Food related answers...

Best thing I made: Lasagna

Worst thing I made: A dish I called “based on a true quiche” that has become fodder for family jokes for generations to come. I had almost none of the called-for ingredients, but I didn’t let that stop me.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Apr 16 2020, 9:37 pm
Worst were non gebroch pasta
Tasted like eating a spoonful of raw potato starch
Went straight to the garbage

amother
White

Post Thu, Apr 16 2020, 9:48 pm
Best - Doughless potato knishes! They were amazing

Worst - sweet potato muffins, they flopped Smile

vepowi

Post Thu, Apr 16 2020, 10:00 pm
Worst (by a very far shot) was homemade schnapps. I put some yeast, water, and sugar in a jar and covered it with a cheesecloth. Sounds simple, no? What could possibly go wrong?

After a month I remembered it and had DH try it. He took a tiny shot and tried it. He turned red, spat it out instantaneously all over the kitchen, and ran to the sink to get some water.

I was annoyed at him... How bad could it had been already that he couldn't make it a second to the sink to spit out, instead of spitting out all over kitchen? I took a microscopic drop to taste. It was bad. Very bad. Very very bad.

(I'm one of those strange people that tastes a dish and says "Wow, this is awful! Here, you must try this to see how bad it is!" Even I wouldn't recommend trying this though.)

We still laugh about that years later.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 3:09 am
icedcoffee wrote:
Best is any Persian stew, my husband gets so happy and it looks way more impressive than the effort actually takes. Also kibbeh the other week, those were all gone within 24 hours.

Worst thing I ever made was asparagus spaghetti, IDK what I was thinking, looked way better in the photos but was practically inedible. I can never get spaghetti to not clump together.

amother grey do you have a recipe for the goulash?

Can you post your recipe for kibbeh?

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 6:47 am
Worst:

Sufganiot -- I followed the recipe so I don't know what went wrong but they were blobby shaped and inedible. I never tried to make sufganiot again after that collosal failure.

MiriFr

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 6:59 am
Best- swiss roll with a thick caramel glaze (I'm a giant sweet tooth!). My exclusively carnivorous husband would say some kind of meat or steak LOL

Worst- the first time I made challah! Yuck. It had a playdough consistency and tasted like yeast

israelmama

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 7:23 am
Best- stuffed pesto chicken
Worst- I accidentally put baking soda instead of baking powder in a cake

yo'ma

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 7:46 am
ladYdI wrote:
Every pesach I try a different kishke or Chulent kugel recipe and it always flops!
It’s either gummy or runny

I made kishke one year and it was extremely gummy, so the following year, I put much less potato starch and it was perfect. I used the same recipe. I don’t remember how well it stuck, but it was better than gummy. It wasn’t very runny. I do remember that. You have to find the right balance.

The best I would say gefilte fish. Not because it was the best, but because I didn’t use a recipe and every time I make it, it doesn’t come out the same, but this time it was perfect. One of my children even said it tastes store bought which he loves.

The worst would probably be egg noodles. I didn’t have a good recipe or pan for it. It had much too much potato starch. I ended up wasting some eggs because I threw it in the garbage.

Bh, all in all, everyone loved the food!!! Very Happy
Also, bh my children were home to help especially my dd and one ds.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics