Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Not turning back til after shabbos
Previous  1  2  3  Next

sky

Post Thu, Apr 16 2020, 11:05 pm
We put everything away.
All food is kosher for pesach accept challah and Cholent.

Both DH and I are working full day tomorrow with all kids home. Plus need to clean and laundry. No way I’m also cooking a fresh Shabbos.

Besides if the food was delicious yesterday it will still be delicious tomorrow.

cbsp

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 12:31 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I never heard of this. I know afew people that cooked extra for shabbos. I was anyways cooking for yom tov. It's definitely not forbidden, maybe your minhag is not to to this.

Source?

Not poshut at all (more than just minhag) to prepare on yontif (yes, chol hamoed is considered yontif) for after the chag. There are circumstances that may make it muttar (none of which includes "I know a few people who do this").

AYLOR

heidi

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 12:38 am
cbsp wrote:
Source?

Not poshut at all (more than just minhag) to prepare on yontif (yes, chol hamoed is considered yontif) for after the chag. There are circumstances that may make it muttar (none of which includes "I know a few people who do this").

AYLOR

Interesting.
I packed up all the Pesach stuff I wasn't using for the second day on erev chag.
Food processor, mixer, milchig pots etc.
Was that assur?

cbsp

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 12:50 am
heidi wrote:
Interesting.
I packed up all the Pesach stuff I wasn't using for the second day on erev chag.
Food processor, mixer, milchig pots etc.
Was that assur?

I wrote prepare - I should have specified cook (the post I quoted specifically mentioned cooking on chol hamoed for Shabbos.)

I think putting things away might be ok because tidying up is allowed.

AYLOR as usual...

zaq

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 1:07 am
Everything’s back in place but the foil is still there. May as well keep it a while till it’s really messy, THEN strip it off. We’ll be eating Pesach food and having matzah for lechem mishneh but if we crave a dab of peanut butter, we can have it: best of both worlds! We’re observing corona precautions and limiting our grocery shopping trips, so if we can make do without going to the store, that’s what we’ll do.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 4:32 am
cbsp wrote:
Source?

AYLOR

I asked DH, he looked it up. It is not assur. Because it's some people's minhag, doesn't make it assur. If it would be assur we would know about it. I know plenty people that cooked extra for yom tov so they'll have food for shabbos.

watergirl

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 4:58 am
Where I live, pesach was out at 8:25. We were eating macaroni and cheese by 10:15.

BH my kids are mostly old enough to really help and of course my husband does much of the work. But for us its not a big deal. We kasher our counters so there is nothing to remove from them. Just items to be brought up and down basement. Also like a few others said, we brought all of the stuff we were finished with as I was done with it. I bring the seder stuff downstairs motzei first days, I have a special cake pan that I put away when I’m done with it, the dairy stuff, etc. My kitchen/house is just too small to keep the extra things around. I empty out very few cabinets, you get the point. I’ve been making pesach since 2000, this is rote by now for me.

Yes, we have leftover Pesach food, but all in tins. We transferred the soup to a container, that was the only food item not in disposable. We can of course eat leftovers on chametz plates.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 5:11 am
We have a few decanters that are still drying out, and the counter tops and stove grates and burners need to be removed. Should take about 15 minutes.

ChutzPAh

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 5:27 am
We were done turning back over before 10pm. Having a regular shabbos and don’t really have many leftovers.

Several years ago I took advice from ladies on this board. Don’t empty cupboards but rather buy racks/closets and set them up in the kitchen or dining room with the pesach stuff. I’ve been doing that and turnover is really easy that way. Of course, if you don’t have space for it you can’t do that.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 5:36 am
I wanted to turn over on sunday because me and one of my kids are gluten free, so we basically eat pesadik all year. My husband wants his challa though, so he is doing the bulk of the kitchen turnover.

sky

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 5:36 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
We have a few decanters that are still drying out, and the counter tops and stove grates and burners need to be removed. Should take about 15 minutes.

(My decanter broke this year when taking out pesach stuff and I’m secretly thrilled. It took days to dry. )

watergirl

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 5:38 am
ChutzPAh wrote:
We were done turning back over before 10pm. Having a regular shabbos and don’t really have many leftovers.

Several years ago I took advice from ladies on this board. Don’t empty cupboards but rather buy racks/closets and set them up in the kitchen or dining room with the pesach stuff. I’ve been doing that and turnover is really easy that way. Of course, if you don’t have space for it you can’t do that.

I do this too. I have a set of 3 plastic drawers that I bring up and use like regular kitchen drawers. Nothing to pack or unpack. Then I tape it and it goes right back down!

cbsp

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 6:15 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I asked DH, he looked it up. It is not assur. Because it's some people's minhag, doesn't make it assur. If it would be assur we would know about it. I know plenty people that cooked extra for yom tov so they'll have food for shabbos.

You changed the parameters.

Cooking extra for Yom Tov is different than cooking on Chol Hamoed specifically intending for Shabbos.

Which one did your husband look up?

We make an eruv tavshilin because we can't cook specifically from one day to the next, even for Shabbos that's part of Yom Tov (or the next). AFAIK that's halacha, not minhag...

Simple1

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 6:24 am
For my peace of mind I need it turned over right after pesach as I thought most people do. We can still eat exclusively pesach meals in a chametzdik kitchen. And while we didn't bring in chametz yet, we took things out that were sold, not chametz gamur.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 6:25 am
cbsp wrote:
You changed the parameters.

Cooking extra for Yom Tov is different than cooking on Chol Hamoed specifically intending for Shabbos.

Which one did your husband look up?

We make an eruv tavshilin because we can't cook specifically from one day to the next, even for Shabbos that's part of Yom Tov (or the next). AFAIK that's halacha, not minhag...

I said already in an earlier post that I cooked extra for shabbos, I didn't change anything. An eiruv tavshulin has nothing to do with cooking chol hamoed as we're allowed to do melacha chol hamoed. Chol hamoed you're allowed to cook from one day for the next, eruv tavshilin doesn't come in here.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 6:28 am
My Pesach food is ALL eaten. My house is empty. Need to start from scratch anyway. Because we turned over last night , which took less than an hour , my kitchen is spic and span and cleaner than it usually is on a Friday morning.

Simple1

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 6:30 am
thunderstorm wrote:
My Pesach food is ALL eaten. My house is empty. Need to start from scratch anyway. Because we turned over last night , which took less than an hour , my kitchen is spic and span and cleaner than it usually is on a Friday morning.

Yes. I love the clean feeling you have after turning over!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 7:07 am
Great, people. I saw 36 replies and I thought there were 36 ppl responding that they weren't turning over yet. Instead it's a bunch of people saying how they already finished. I wasn't asking you.

Of course I can eat pesach food on chometz dishes. And yes, most food is cooked from before pesach even started. I have extra pesach chicken soup, potatoes Kugel, chicken in the pan and dessert. Still too much to do.

I don't unpack any cabinets for pesach, but it's still a complicated process that can't be done in one night. And where I live 72 was after 930pm. With dh working today, I couldn't do it with the kids and clean up the rest of the house and do allllll ttthhhheeee lllaaunnnddryyy.
I am streamlining the process somewhat every year and I hope that it will get shorter and shorter.

So it seems only 1 other person is waiting. I know I should do st at works for me, but I was hoping to hear of more people.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 7:10 am
groovy1224 wrote:
Because I want to make shlissel challah

Bentching with kavana is also a segulah for parnasa. This alone is not a good reason to work so hard.

Simple1

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 7:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Great, people. I saw 36 replies and I thought there were 36 ppl responding that they weren't turning over yet. Instead it's a bunch of people saying how they already finished. I wasn't asking you.

Of course I can eat pesach food on chometz dishes. And yes, most food is cooked from before pesach even started. I have extra pesach chicken soup, potatoes Kugel, chicken in the pan and dessert. Still too much to do.

I don't unpack any cabinets for pesach, but it's still a complicated process that can't be done in one night. And where I live 72 was after 930pm. With dh working today, I couldn't do it with the kids and clean up the rest of the house and do allllll ttthhhheeee lllaaunnnddryyy.
I am streamlining the process somewhat every year and I hope that it will get shorter and shorter.

So it seems only 1 other person is waiting. I know I should do st at works for me, but I was hoping to hear of more people.

For sure do what works for you. FTR I'm not one those super geshikt housewives people are jealous of. I use a lot of disposable on pesach, so there wasn't much to put away anyway. But I get anxiety around pesach related tasks so this works for me. You should definitely enjoy doing what works for you!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics