Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Feel like they keep moving the goal posts
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 3:40 am
Cuomo has now extended the shutdown for at least another month despite the fact that NY has started trending down by every measure. We have flattened the curve. Now we’re trying to... do what? We started giving ventilators to other states so we obviously have enough medical supplies. What’s the point of extending the shut down? I was under the impression that the shutdown was to try to flatten the curve and shore up medical supplies and we’ve done that. So what are we trying to do now exactly? I’m still following the guidelines but I’m starting to get frustrated feeling like we don’t have any type of end point or goal. What’s the goal at this point??

amother
Green

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 3:46 am
It sounds like we are living in some undeveloped country with an uneducated government.

Remember when the CDC said; masks won't help you?

Its 5 weeks later.
On Saturday we will be fined if we are found without a mask.

Oh, holy CDC, can you explain to us what happened? Does it really take 5 weeks for you to find out that masks do help?

I'm embarrased.

(Yes I know why they said it doesn't help. Because they knew there is a shortage of masks. Now that there is no more shortage masks are suddenly a must.)

We are kept in the dark. Only after the fact will we know what the calculations were but I won't be surprised if the reasons for the extended quarantine weren't exactly in our favor.

Ye I hear... 8 strains... getting it again... I hear.

I will never believe the government or the CDC again.

Big provaxxer that I am.... Things have changed.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 3:51 am
Posts like these always confuse me. The intricacies of curbing a pandemic are obviously vast. What kind of answer do you think there is, aside from he was advised by top epidemiologists and medical experts that if we returned to normal behavior now, the virus would continue full force?

I'm curious to understand. What conspiracy could be afoot exactly, that would involve every politician in our country purposely tanking their city's entire economy and infrastructure?

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 3:52 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:

"Provaxxer" is an antivaxx term.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 3:53 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
It sounds like we are living in some undeveloped country with an uneducated government.

Its 5 weeks later.

Oh, holy CDC, can you explain to us what happened? Does it really take 5 weeks for you to find out that masks do help?

I'm embarrased.

(Yes I know why they said it doesn't help. Because they knew there is a shortage of masks. Now that there is no more shortage masks are suddenly a must.)

We are kept in the dark. I will never believe the government or the CDC again.

It feels like the government doesn’t trust the citizenry to make its own decisions. Put the information out there and allow us to choose the risk level that we’re comfortable with.

I completely understood a shutdown to shore up medical supplies and try to slow the spread. But it’s inevitable that when we open up infections will rise again hence the need to shore up medical supplies. We’re just delaying the inevitable but to what end?

groisamomma

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 3:53 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:

Its 5 weeks later.

I'm embarrased.

We are kept in the dark. Only after the fact will we know what the calculations were but I won't be surprised if the reasons for the extended quarantine weren't exactly in our favor.

Ye I hear... 8 strains... getting it again... I hear.

I will never believe the government or the CDC again.

Just curious, what would your ideal government do at a time like this?

happyone

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 3:56 am
this is a pandemic they know nothing about and are learning as we live (and unfortunately many die from). the info is ever changing as they try to understand and lessen the deaths and damage. Noone is deliberately taking you for a ride. We need God to make it go away as quick as it took over.

amother
OP

amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Posts like these always confuse me. The intricacies of curbing a pandemic are obviously vast. What kind of answer do you think there is, aside from he was advised by top epidemiologists and medical experts that if we returned to normal behavior now, the virus would continue full force?

I'm curious to understand. What conspiracy could be afoot exactly, that would involve every politician in our country purposely tanking their city's entire economy and infrastructure?

I don’t think there’s a conspiracy so much as ineptitude. Everyone loves pulling the expert card but a. What qualifies someone as an expert? And b. The models have shown time and time again that experts haven’t been remotely successful in predicting the spread. I’m not blaming them it’s that it’s new and no one, not even the experts, actually knows that much about it. It will take years to fully develop the same amount of knowledge of covid-19 that we have about cancer or the flu.

I’m comfortable with experts making the decision. What I’m not comfortable with is them making them without providing an explanation as to why. What exactly are we trying to accomplish by extending the shutdown?

amother
Green

amother [ Oak ] wrote:

And what was his reasoning to delay lockdown in first place? Remember when he had an argument with Trump? It's good to remember.

And this week he was still fighting with Deblasio over whether he is allowing the extended quarantine.

Then all of a sudden he has pandemic experts. Pshee.

He spoke to different experts than Deblasio all along?

He has no clue.
Deblasio has no clue.

If you like to think we are taken care of, I wont take that away from you but I can't keep believing.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 3:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It feels like the government doesn’t trust the citizenry to make its own decisions. Put the information out there and allow us to choose the risk level that we’re comfortable with.

I completely understood a shutdown to shore up medical supplies and try to slow the spread. But it’s inevitable that when we open up infections will rise again hence the need to shore up medical supplies. We’re just delaying the inevitable but to what end?

Trust? You want the government to trust its citizenry? You think the selfish people still davening with minyanim care about information? No way. I absolutely want the government involved in these decisions. The morons around us can't be bothered to protect us.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 3:59 am
groisamomma wrote:
Trust? You want the government to trust its citizenry? You think the selfish people still davening with minyanim care about information? No way. I absolutely want the government involved in these decisions. The morons around us can't be bothered to protect us.

Involved is one thing. Involved would be making recommendations and enforcing those recommendations to a somewhat reasonable degree. If you are not comfortable with the risk, you are welcome to stay inside. The same way someone who is comfortable with the risk should be welcome to go outside.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 4:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Involved is one thing. Involved would be making recommendations and enforcing those recommendations to a somewhat reasonable degree, for instance wearing a mask or limited seating at restaurants. If you are not comfortable with the risk, you are welcome to stay inside. The same way someone who is comfortable with the risk should be welcome to go outside.

That’s really beyond the scope of my question though. My question is what is our intention in extending the lockdown? What are we trying to accomplish?

amother
Green

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 4:01 am
groisamomma wrote:
Just curious, what would your ideal government do at a time like this?

Look at Israel for some ideas.

My ideal government would;

Close borders 8 weeks ago.
Lockdown immediately.
Not allow more than 2 people meetings.
Demand masks in first place.
Come up with a system to get food and essentials to people 8 weeks ago.
A system that respects the quarantine rules.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 4:03 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
"Provaxxer" is an antivaxx term.

Call me whatever.
I gave each and every single vaccine to all of my children.

I used to think the CDC is so honest.
Not after I realized what they are doing with the masks.

Its despicable.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 4:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don’t think there’s a conspiracy so much as ineptitude. Everyone loves pulling the expert card but a. What qualifies someone as an expert? And b. The models have shown time and time again that experts haven’t been remotely successful in predicting the spread. I’m not blaming them it’s that it’s new and no one, not even the experts, actually knows that much about it. It will take years to fully develop the same amount of knowledge of covid-19 that we have about cancer or the flu.

I’m comfortable with experts making the decision. What I’m not comfortable with is them making them without providing an explanation as to why. What exactly are we trying to accomplish by extending the shutdown?

What qualifies somebody as an expert? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess it's things like medical school, extensive education and training in infectious disease, degrees in things like biology, virology, epidemiology.

Why ineptitude? Just human beings trying to learn and develop information and insight in the face of something new. What sort of clarity and consensus can exist instantaneously?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 4:13 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
What qualifies somebody as an expert? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess it's things like medical school, extensive education and training in infectious disease, degrees in things like biology, virology, epidemiology.

Why ineptitude? Just human beings trying to learn and develop information and insight in the face of something new. What sort of clarity and consensus can exist instantaneously?

Well we’ve had 4 weeks and we were going to have another 2 so 6 weeks isn’t exactly instantaneous. We’ve learned a lot already.

And there are experts who say we should be lifting lockdowns. There were experts who said we never should have done one in the first place. Sweden being a case in point. So experts do become a little muted when you consider the fact you can find an expert to back up just about every proposition.

Again I have no problem with experts making the decisions. I have a problem with them giving no justification. No this is a means to the end. You haven’t given one either so I’m guessing you’re just as blind as me to it.

In that case, yes I do wonder if there’s actually a point to locking down for an additional 2 weeks.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 4:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Involved is one thing. Involved would be making recommendations and enforcing those recommendations to a somewhat reasonable degree. If you are not comfortable with the risk, you are welcome to stay inside. The same way someone who is comfortable with the risk should be welcome to go outside.

Your right to swing your arms ends where my nose begins.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 4:16 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Your right to swing your arms ends where my nose begins.

....exactly? So I can’t impinge on your rights anymore than you or the government can impinge on mine.

If you’re scared of getting infected you have every right to stay inside

mig100

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 4:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It feels like the government doesn’t trust the citizenry to make its own decisions.

I.sure hope they don't and never will.

I don't blame them. I wouldn't want to trust those around me With life and death decisions

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 4:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Well we’ve had 4 weeks and we were going to have another 2 so 6 weeks isn’t exactly instantaneous. We’ve learned a lot already.

And there are experts who say we should be lifting lockdowns. There were experts who said we never should have done one in the first place. Sweden being a case in point. So experts do become a little muted when you consider the fact you can find an expert to back up just about every proposition.

Again I have no problem with experts making the decisions. I have a problem with them giving no justification. No this is a means to the end. You haven’t given one either so I’m guessing you’re just as blind as me to it.

In that case, yes I do wonder if there’s actually a point to locking down for an additional 2 weeks.

I haven't given a justification?

The reason is that the virus isn't done being a massive threat yet and lots of people would get very sick and die if we did nothing.

What else would the point be?
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics