Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Unemployment is more than regular pay? Why go back to work?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 9:27 am
My sister told me that her unemployment check is more than her regular pay. Is this common? Why will some go back to work?

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 9:28 am
Because unemployment won’t go on forever. It’s a problem because some people who have work aren’t working because why should they they make more not working right now.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 9:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My sister told me that her unemployment check is more than her regular pay. Is this common? Why will some go back to work?

tell your sister that when her employer is ready for her to go back, and she doesn't go, someone else will take her job.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 9:45 am
Because unemployment is for those who don't have jobs. if she is called in to work, she would no longer be eligible for unemployment.

itsmeima

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 9:45 am
I’m sorry your sister made so little! Hopefully, when this is over she'll find something better!

Reality

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 9:48 am
Your sister should be grateful that she got through to unemployment!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 9:52 am
Usually unemployment is half your pay. But now they give extra due to covid. It is a struggle... But legally they ask you if you turned down any work you could've done...

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 11:43 am
I made about $3800 doing work every so often as an independent contractor. I am eligible for unemployment giving me $635 a week.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 12:00 pm
Im a therapist and I work extremely hard. I work very difficult hours working at 8am and at 5pm. I get paid on a hourly rate (if my clients show up). I am a newer therapist and often very stressed at work. I'm loving the relaxed schedule at home and nothing on my head. I'm definitely getting paid more on unemployment (with the additional $600). It was also nice to get paid over yt!!! I'm really loving this freedom and spending time with my kids. On one hand, the field I am in is extremely competitive and I worked so hard to even get this job. I love what I do but not the hours or the stress. I really hope the clinic stays closed for a while.

zaftigmom

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 12:14 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
Usually unemployment is half your pay. But now they give extra due to covid. It is a struggle... But legally they ask you if you turned down any work you could've done...

Depends on the state. In nj it's two thirds so the 600 extra is more than a lot of people's salaries.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 1:12 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Im a therapist and I work extremely hard. I work very difficult hours working at 8am and at 5pm. I get paid on a hourly rate (if my clients show up). I am a newer therapist and often very stressed at work. I'm loving the relaxed schedule at home and nothing on my head. I'm definitely getting paid more on unemployment (with the additional $600). It was also nice to get paid over yt!!! I'm really loving this freedom and spending time with my kids. On one hand, the field I am in is extremely competitive and I worked so hard to even get this job. I love what I do but not the hours or the stress. I really hope the clinic stays closed for a while.

I am in the same situation as you. Are you in NY? whats the total amount that you are getting paid?

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 1:16 pm
Because it’s not forever. We’re in a similar boat and trying to use the unemployment and stimulus help to stabilize our finances for when iyH normal work returns.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 1:18 pm
I was just thinking about this unemployment would be about 200-300 more per week for me. My job is still around but I could take leave to take care of my kids since their school is closed. It's so hard to work from home and take care of my kids and know that I can make more money not working...I'm really thinking about stopping and collecting. But the only thing holding me back is that I would like a job once this is all over.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 1:20 pm
Legally one can only get unemployment if they are not offered any work by their place of employment and in normal circumstances (before covid) if they try to find a job...
You can't just decide to decline a job that's offered to you.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 1:21 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I am in the same situation as you. Are you in NY? whats the total amount that you are getting paid?

NJ, only recently started filling up with cases. I'm getting $350 from unemployment and an additional $600.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 1:43 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Legally one can only get unemployment if they are not offered any work by their place of employment and in normal circumstances (before covid) if they try to find a job...
You can't just decide to decline a job that's offered to you.

Nj is allowing those who can't work since they have to care for their minor children who have no school to apply for unemployment

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 2:13 pm
Very few posters actually answered this question. Of course unemployment won’t go on forever. But it does seem strange that for many people, they are currently making more money on unemployment then their regular jobs. Finically, they are in a better predicament than before covid-19.
And to clear up something, you can now turn down a job and still stay on unemployment if you have to take care of your children who are home now. At least in NY. It says so on the unemployment website.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 2:15 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
tell your sister that when her employer is ready for her to go back, and she doesn't go, someone else will take her job.

When businesses actually reopen there will be no more $600 weekly bonus on top of unemployment. At that point it will make financial sense to go back to work. For now while businesses stay closed and one can get unemployment, they may come out ahead.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 2:20 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:

You can now turn down a job for a number of reasons in ny and still qualify for unemployment such as childcare of your own kids, if you have covid-19 or caring for someone with the virus. And some other reasons listed on the ny unemployment site.

Optione

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 2:22 pm
How is everyone getting more? After taxes, my husband got 25% of regular pay!! What did we do wrong?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics