Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
So proud - I did not spend money post pesach
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 6:28 pm
I hope it is okay to boast over here, but I typically spend a lot of money after pesach to re-stock. This year, partially due to covid and partially due to my new budgeting rules I did not spend any money at all. We are a family of 7 and budgeted 1200 for the month. I already spent around 600 so I wanted to a save my shopping trip for next week. I am so proud! Can anyone relate?

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 6:30 pm
Yay thats amazing I could totally relate!! I am usually so good with my budget but with all this going on I've actually been worth which is kind of killing me on the inside. But I think even with me not being as careful I'm still doing pretty good being resourceful and really not having too much waste.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 6:36 pm
Yes! On a day like today, I would be dying to get out of the house, go to a bunch of stores, buy challa, tons of fresh food re-stock my freezer and pantry - I could easily spend $300. I spent zero!

rivkam

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 3:07 pm
We did stock up but we're saving money at the moment since we're not eating out so I'm feeling good about that. It's nice to be home and be able to prepare own meals. Healthier and cheaper!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 8:35 pm
Yes so we definitely need a restock now but going to focus on simple foods.

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 11:23 pm
It's great if you are able to keep it up!!!
If you're just pushing off the shopping by a couple of days... not sure that you're really saving!
But yes I totally relate!
I was wondering if we're spending less by shopping less these days or more because I get everything at the same store and I'm not really shopping for sales... with pessach shopping in the picture I want really able to tell! We might find out in the nxt couple of weeks!

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 11:38 pm
Where did you cut down?

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 11:45 pm
Restock what?
Post pesach my grocery is the least $$$.
But maybe because part of the family is gluten free....
I ordered juice and some other regular items totalling 32 items. Still less $$$ than a weekly order. They called me that they got my app order but 21 items are missing!!! Bh they had regular challah for shabbos and my friend had made fresh gluten free rolls and gave me a few rolls till I manage to bake.

The only chamatz I bought were some rugalach for the coffee for the non-gluten free members of the household.

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 11:46 pm
I am below budget. No place to go to spend. No need for nice clothes. Usually spend $300 on gas a month. Haven't tanked up this month. No cleaning lady. Refund on car instance. Couldn't even bring myself to get Pesach jewelry when the world is caving in.

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 11:50 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Where did you cut down?

Not sure if you were asking me but I'll answer.
I try to serve suppers according to what's in the house instead of making a menu and going to buy the missing ingredients. So I end up using more of my pantry items.
No take out at all (it's a rare treat here anyways but sometimes we do it before pessach!)
Not grocery wise but obviously I was thinking that we're using less gas, not getting cleaning help ( for the ppl that had before corona!)
Our chol hamoed budget was $18 for Hasc concert online with no complaints from the kids (other years I wasn't able to get away with home activities!)

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:55 am
Yes! Covid May be bringing in less money but I’m also spending so much less.

Positive thoughts.

paintbrush

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 1:31 am
That’s great. I’m also trying to cut down a lot. I didn’t restock but I did sell chometz over pesach so I have that. I will have to do shopping soon, but I try to limit my spending.

baby12x

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 1:52 am
That's awesome!

We are also spending less. Going to the store less often means less impulse purchases and just making do.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 5:09 am
baby12x wrote:
That's awesome!

We are also spending less. Going to the store less often means less impulse purchases and just making do.

You got an excellent point and this is a good thread! IMO every cloud has a silver lining and after this virus I hope that all of us will pick and choose the things we learned during Corona and implement it in our life styles. Maybe some folks will actual prefer a smallish wedding and use the budgeted money for a down payment on a house (this is something I hope will happen)

My hope is that those of you who want to shed and shake off the pressure of "What will the neighbours think" will be able to do so easily.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:17 am
I’m spending less in terms of all of the run around errands I usually do.
In the grocery though my bills shot up.
Kah my big boys are home now for the unseeable future.
I plan on restocking today on pizza, bagels, knishes, pizza snaps...
plus... cutlets, chicken, Chopped meat for suppers.
How are you not spending more in groceries if you need to feed your whole family now (assuming some are away during the year)

lamplighter

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:02 am
I am spending more on food bc everyone is home and eating all their meals. I think grocery prices went up too.
Im spending more money on toys/crafts for the kids.
Less money though on gas, clothing, eating out, cleaning lady, waxes, ubers etc

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:09 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
You got an excellent point and this is a good thread! IMO every cloud has a silver lining and after this virus I hope that all of us will pick and choose the things we learned during Corona and implement it in our life styles. Maybe some folks will actual prefer a smallish wedding and use the budgeted money for a down payment on a house (this is something I hope will happen)

My hope is that those of you who want to shed and shake off the pressure of "What will the neighbours think" will be able to do so easily.

Your point is excellent. Our community spends too much on glitz which are considered necessities. It would be amazing if people learned to live within their means.

My parents lived much lower than their income. BH I picked up the same standards. It's much better not to spend money you don't have.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 10:45 am
Forgot to add that I picked up the free lunches ftom school when it was available and it was a huge help!
I hope to go this week if they're offering it!

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 11:00 am
[quote="amother [ Tan ]"]Forgot to add that I picked up the free lunches ftom school when it was available and it was a huge help!
I hope to go this week if they're offering it![/quote

I live in NY - not doing it here.
I wish they would!
Would save me so much in time (preparing lunch) and $!!

lamplighter

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 11:03 am
we also picked up the lunches (in NY yes). They have been bread, cereals, tuna, cc, egg salad and pasta. Nothing exciting but weve been having sandwhiches for lunches. That helps.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics