Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
OT-Reflex Integration HELP?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 6:17 pm
My four year old is pretty jumpy, active, has tantrums, etc.
We took him for an OT eval a few months ago and BH developed a plan to address his issues, which seem to be a result of certain reflexes that have not been properly integrated. He was doing amazing after a month or so of therapy, and then corona came along. Things have obviously come to a halt.
Does anyone here have knowledge on the subject and can you point me to some helpful resources? I would love to continue working on this while I'm home with him and help him make progress and be ready for school next year, B"H.
The agency I was taking him to offered to do teletherapy or something of the sort- but my husband is not working now and I don't have the hundreds of dollars a week that it would cost at this point and also, I would end up doing the work I need to do myself anyway. Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you in advance!!!

chocolatine

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 6:23 pm
There are lots of youtube videos out there, depending which reflexes need integration.
Maybe speak one more time to your OT and they can give you specific exercises etc.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 6:26 pm
chocolatine wrote:
There are lots of youtube videos out there, depending which reflexes need integration.
Maybe speak one more time to your OT and they can give you specific exercises etc.

Thank you. I was thinking about it, but she will probably charge me.

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 6:27 pm
They should be willing to develop a home exercise plan with infrequent teletherapy sessions to check in and update as needed. You need a customized plan, but you don't necessarily need weekly input from them.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 6:28 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
They should be willing to develop a home exercise plan with infrequent teletherapy sessions to check in and update as needed. You need a customized plan, but you don't necessarily need weekly input from them.

true. I'll ask her if this is an option. thanks

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 6:29 pm
All You is need sporadic sessions with the therapist and yourself- they can show you what to do with your child. Even when I had a private OT work one on one with my child I attribute the success I saw to the excersise I did with my child on my own each day that the therapist taught me

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 6:35 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
All You is need sporadic sessions with the therapist and yourself- they can show you what to do with your child. Even when I had a private OT work one on one with my child I attribute the success I saw to the excersise I did with my child on my own each day that the therapist taught me

thanks so much.

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 6:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thanks so much.

Good luck! (I know what it’s like...)

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 6:48 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Good luck! (I know what it’s like...)

thank you. I am praying so hard that he gets what he needs to be ready for school!

seeker

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 10:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you. I was thinking about it, but she will probably charge me.

IMHO even if she charges it will be worth it to have a plan professionally tailored to your child. If it was worth setting up the plan with her in the first place, then it's worth not throwing that work in the garbage now. In the original post you talk about hundreds of dollars a week, but it will not be that much for the occasional teletherapy consultation where you are doing the homework with the child in between. Also everyone realizes that these are crazy times and I have seen therapists in various disciplines offering reduced or even free sessions without even being asked. Professionals do need to keep their own cash flowing but at the same time anyone in a helping profession is worrying about their clients and trying whatever they can to lessen the impact of this disaster. (nosy and no need to answer here, but if husband isn't working can he collect unemployment like pretty much everyone else is lately?)

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 10:53 pm
I'm an OT and I work in a sensory gym. We mainly do sensory and reflex integration. Do you know which reflexes they were working on? We do offer teletherapy (maybe it's the same clinic) but I honestly don't feel as if its so effective unless the parent is present, as it is mainly hands on. However, I would suggest to ask the therapist if they can show you a few exercises to do at home.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling