Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
OOT modern orthodox community?!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 8:53 pm
Looking into possibly relocating from NJ to a nice out of town community. Must have good schools through high school for boys and girls. We are modern I wear pants and want to feel
Comfortable. Not that everyone is like me but that everyone is accepting of everyone.

Is housing and tuition much cheaper out of town? Because that’s a deal breaker. I would need this to be a financially life changing move to do it. Currently my dh makes $160k can we live nicely out of town on that salary??

Does such a thing exist?

Any and all thoughts welcome Smile

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 8:57 pm
Yes! Check out Detroit. Centrally located geographically, with beautiful communities in the YI of Oak Park and YI of Southfield neighborhoods. Google both shuls to see their websites, as well as Farber Hebrew Day School. Good luck!!

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 8:58 pm
Look into Atlanta. There are a few MO Shuls in the Toco Hills area, and Atlanta Jewish Academy is an MO school that goes through 12th grade.

mha3484

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:06 pm
Skokie fits your description

blueiz

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:55 pm
Silver Spring and Philadelphia both seem like they'd fit your description.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:57 pm
Houston

essie14

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 10:01 pm
I second the silver spring and Atlanta suggestions.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 10:03 pm
I'll second Houston and Atlanta. For either one, make sure to settle in a decent neighborhood.

amother
Green

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 10:20 pm
Live in-town but hear great things about Bala Cynwyd.

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 10:46 pm
Check out salaries in your field in whatever area you look at-- unless he can take his job with him, if cost of living is lower, salaries are often also lower.

familyfirst

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 1:22 am
Silver spring
Fabulous Hebrew academy
Co-Ed , pants etc
Tuition may be pricey

Also: Torah school and Yeshiva if greater Washington
Most moms do not wear pants but everyone is welcome
Great school
Not co-ed

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 6:04 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
I'll second Houston and Atlanta. For either one, make sure to settle in a decent neighborhood.

where are decent neighborhoods? Any idea how much a nice updated 4-5 bedroom house goes for?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 6:04 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Check out salaries in your field in whatever area you look at-- unless he can take his job with him, if cost of living is lower, salaries are often also lower.

yes he can he works from home so that salary will be the same

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 6:06 am
essie14 wrote:
I second the silver spring and Atlanta suggestions.

I have to say I am glad I asked here because to me I always thought of silverspring as right wing yeshivish which for me the pants wearer would not fit.

What neighborhoods in silvespring are more modern?

Any ideas on housing prices?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 6:08 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Yes! Check out Detroit. Centrally located geographically, with beautiful communities in the YI of Oak Park and YI of Southfield neighborhoods. Google both shuls to see their websites, as well as Farber Hebrew Day School. Good luck!!

Sounds interesting also! ls it true that detroit though isnt such a safe neighborhood? Just repeating what I've heard..which I know is not always accurate Smile

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 6:09 am
Has anyone lived or know about Tennessee? Or colorado? A friend mentioned those but without much details

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 6:11 am
If the job is truly portable, why not Israel? Housing will be expensive, but you'll save on tuition.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 6:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sounds interesting also! ls it true that detroit though isnt such a safe neighborhood? Just repeating what I've heard..which I know is not always accurate Smile

We just closed on a house on Southfield on Friday lol. Insane! For about a third of the price of a crappy house NYC. The housing prices are great.

We went to Detroit a few times before settling on Southfield and it’s a beautiful suburban neighborhood. The scary parts of Detroit are far away from where the Jewish communities are. So far everyone I’ve met has been so friendly and welcoming.

Tuition is the same as what I’m currently paying in NYC but they have a tuition incentive program that’s new for this coming up year - call Farber Hebrew Day School for more information about this. Hopefully it’s still running with all this corona drama going on!

We have to move to Detroit for my husbands new job but we couldn’t be happier or more excited about the move!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 6:22 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
If the job is truly portable, why not Israel? Housing will be expensive, but you'll save on tuition.

weve thought about that too actually.

just thinking if thats a bit too much of a change for us..but it's not off the table..

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 6:25 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
We just closed on a house on Southfield on Friday lol. Insane! For about a third of the price of a crappy house NYC. The housing prices are great.

We went to Detroit a few times before settling on Southfield and it’s a beautiful suburban neighborhood. The scary parts of Detroit are far away from where the Jewish communities are. So far everyone I’ve met has been so friendly and welcoming.

Tuition is the same as what I’m currently paying in NYC but they have a tuition incentive program that’s new for this coming up year - call Farber Hebrew Day School for more information about this. Hopefully it’s still running with all this corona drama going on!

We have to move to Detroit for my husbands new job but we couldn’t be happier or more excited about the move!

oh wow!! OK so should I just google houses southfield indiana?? or is there a better way to find available houses ..I am interested in looking at some houses online and I"ll check out the school website too

thanks!!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating