Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Minyanim restarting in Israel- up to 19
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 2:05 am
"Athletic activities are back but schools and most of economy remain shuttered

Israel’s Cabinet approved Sunday morning, after hours of discussion over the phone, the new rules easing the nation-wide restrictions amid the coronavirus crisis.

Citizens will be allowed to pray in groups up to 19 people in public spaces."

I'm kind of shocked. I thought we'd ease into it, like I'd hear that cases were dropping and then we'd go back to minyanim etc...are cases dropping and I just haven't heard about it?

gingertop

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 2:13 am
The numbers are still going up but slower than they expected so that's what's encouraging them right now. The cabinet did not vote on any of the regulations, so this is all speculation at this point.
If agreed upon, the minyan rule is only for outdoors and with appropriate space between people. This is the easing into it situation. 19 is the limit so that everyone can minyan without running around searching. Once there's 20 at a minyan, there can be 2.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 2:14 am
gingertop wrote:
The numbers are still going up but slower than they expected so that's what's encouraging them right now. The cabinet did not vote on any of the regulations, so this is all speculation at this point.
If agreed upon, the minyan rule is only for outdoors and with appropriate space between people. This is the easing into it situation. 19 is the limit so that everyone can minyan without running around searching. Once there's 20 at a minyan, there can be 2.

It looks like the cabinet approved the new regulations early this morning, so its no longer speculation.
https://www.i24news.tv/en/news.....rules

gingertop

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 2:17 am
My own humble opinion, not that anyone is asking, is that they need waaay more tests than are currently being performed before starting these baby steps towards reopening.
But I guess they see that they cannot control the situation any more and/or they are confident enough that with the current numbers and treatment options, the disease won't become as deadly as it has been in other countries.

Netanyahu did emphasize that any rapid rise in the numbers will lead to re-lockdown. So it's a trial run.

etky

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 2:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
"Athletic activities are back but schools and most of economy remain shuttered

Israel’s Cabinet approved Sunday morning, after hours of discussion over the phone, the new rules easing the nation-wide restrictions amid the coronavirus crisis.

Citizens will be allowed to pray in groups up to 19 people in public spaces."

I'm kind of shocked. I thought we'd ease into it, like I'd hear that cases were dropping and then we'd go back to minyanim etc...are cases dropping and I just haven't heard about it?

You have to realize that the decisions being made now by the cabinet are to some degree political ones that factor health aspects into the equation among other considerations. It's a balance.
Anyway the 19 people rule ensures that no one will be turned away from a minyan and the minute there are 20, a separate minyan be formed.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 2:19 am
gingertop wrote:
My own humble opinion, not that anyone is asking, is that they need waaay more tests than are currently being performed before starting these baby steps towards reopening.
But I guess they see that they cannot control the situation any more and/or they are confident enough that with the current numbers and treatment options, the disease won't become as deadly as it has been in other countries.

Netanyahu did emphasize that any rapid rise in the numbers will lead to re-lockdown. So whether or not this passes, it's a trial run.

Ok, a trial run I can handle I guess. As long as re lockdown happens if numbers rise

gingertop

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 2:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It looks like the cabinet approved the new regulations early this morning, so its no longer speculation.
https://www.i24news.tv/en/news.....rules

Thanks I didn't see that. I actually looked at the news but was still seeing last night's stories.

cinnamon

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 2:34 am
I feel it's very hard to find the numbers online.
The misrad habriut website has the current daily count (There were 158 new cases yesterday)
But I would love to see the number of new cases per day over time to see if the number of new cases are really dropping (I don't think they are If I remember correctly some day last week there were 130+ new failures)

gingertop

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 2:36 am
cinnamon wrote:
The misrad habriut website has the current daily count (There were 158 new cases yesterday)
But I would love to see the number of new cases per day over time to see if the number of new cases are really dropping (I don't think they are If I remember correctly some day last week there were 130+ new failures)

I found this helpful https://www.worldometers.info/.....rael/

- There's a graph halfway down that shows the daily new cases. The numbers of new cases do seem to have dropped although I wonder how long it will take for us to see the post-Pesach effect.

Last edited by gingertop on Sun, Apr 19 2020, 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 2:37 am
cinnamon wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....srael

They take figures from the Minustry of Health.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 2:39 am
gingertop wrote:
I found this helpful https://www.worldometers.info/.....rael/

- There's a graph halfway down that shows the daily new cases. The numbers of new cases do seem to have dropped although I wonder how long it will take for us to see the post-Pesach effect.

wow, thanks!
Some graphs do illustrate the drop in new cases quite clearly.

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 2:40 am
I wish they would start with minyanim of 10 and then, if the numbers are favorable, increase gradually.

gingertop

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 2:43 am
DrMom wrote:
I wish they would start with minyanim of 10 and then, if the numbers are favorable, increase gradually.

I understand that they don't want people running around from minyan to minyan, looking for the exact amount and not being extra. Also, if it has to be exactly 10, people will wait around for longer until they have ten. Leaving some leeway might be safer. At 20, simply split.
But yeah, 19 is a lot of people and seems scary.

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 2:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
wow, thanks!
Some graphs do illustrate the drop in new cases quite clearly.

It is so frustrating because it looks like we are tantalizingly close to having new cases dry up altogether in a few weeks if we continue as-is... but the economy just won't withstand being closed for so long, so we must open up.

As far as "flattening the curve," I think we've done a great job.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 3:45 am
I'm a bit peeved that minyanim are coming back. I was getting used to DH praying outside by himself and being able to keep an eye on the older kids on their scooters while I was home with the smaller ones. Now he'll be off searching for a minyan while I'm either cracking up at home or trying to bring a bunch of kids outside by myself with all the dangers that involves :/

etky

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 3:50 am
On the bright side, people will be wearing masks to minyan - unlike before- and will have to be more careful regarding handling of the sefer Torah.
BTW certain poskim have voiced opinons that people should continue davening in yechidut or in mirpeset minyanim at least until the situation becomes clearer.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 4:08 am
etky wrote:
On the bright side, people will be wearing masks to minyan - unlike before- and will have to be more careful regarding handling of the sefer Torah.
BTW certain poskim have voiced opinons that people should continue davening in yechidut or in mirpeset minyanim at least until the situation becomes clearer.

The only reason they are allowing minyanim now is because they can’t start the economy and not open religious activities... danger of minyanim is still the same danger as it was yesterday

etky

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 4:14 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
The only reason they are allowing minyanim now is because they can’t start the economy and not open religious activities... danger of minyanim is still the same danger as it was yesterday

I am well aware of that.
I was not speaking to the reason for allowing minyans but rather to the fact that although they are still potential sources of contagion, at least certain protective measures have now become mandatory since they were last legal.

Aylat

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 11:21 am
DrMom wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Israel

They take figures from the Minustry of Health.

[img]

[670:278]https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/page/graph/png/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Israel/0/efa047a84b5805ab91ce7cd6ef6a507f6d3769b9.png[/img]

What's significant is that the number of new daily cases have gone down even as the number of tests has gone up bH.

gingertop

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 11:54 am
Aylat wrote:
What's significant is that the number of new daily cases have gone down even as the number of tests has gone up bH.

BH
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics