Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Chicken Egg Incubator
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 12:26 am
has anyone purchased a chicken egg incubator for their kids at home to see how egg hatching works? If yes, where can I purchase one from? TIA

happyone

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 12:31 am
brilliant project!
https://www.wish.com/product/5.....leweb
they have loads on Ebay.

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 12:33 am
They're everywhere. There are even ones now which rotate the eggs for you. Where are you located, and how many eggs do you want to hatch?

happyone

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 12:34 am
https://www.homesciencetools.c.....D_BwE

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 12:38 am
Thanks for the links. What do I do with these chicks once they hatch????
does the first link come with the eggs as well?
Rappel, I'm not sure what I want!
Located in tri state area

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 12:48 am
Initially, keep them in a nice large box/container with warmth, light, chick feed, and water.

After a few weeks, you can move them to your outdoor hutch.

Depending on the breed you pick, you can pick breeds which are good for eggs or meat (there are crosses which are good for both, but if you want to breed further from those birds, they'll give you nothing special). If you want meat birds, then keep them in the run, feed them up, and shecht them a few weeks later. Egg birds: easier to free-range, because you don't need soft meat. Wait till they're mature to decide which rooster/s you're keeping, and shecht the rest, keep all the hens, and watch your flock grow!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 12:50 am
I do not want to keep them once they hatch, I wonder who I can give them to
I would love links to a place that someone actually bought their incubator from to know that it works

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 1:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I would love links to a place that someone actually bought their incubator from to know that it works

If you're located in Israel, I'm interested in egg-layers, and I like classic-looking breeds (in the line of Rhode Island Reds)

For other chickens, I can find you a backyard grower who will want them.

alef12

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 1:48 am
Please, please, PLEASE do NOT do this unless you are commited to caring for all of the chicks that hatch properly and responsibly (including the approximately 50% of them that will be male) for the rest of their lives. (If you will be raising them for meat then until are shechted.)

These are live animals and it is inhumane (and tzar baaelei chaim) to not provide them wirh proper care. And just letting them "free" does not count as caring for them properly as they will get eaten by predators or starve within days.

I rarely take in rescues but this year I ended up with 3 chicks with only a few hours notice. They were being kept in a shoebox with no heat or water, just a sprinkling of adult chicken food (which they were unable to eat being babies) I get furious when I think about it. So many people think it's a "cute" game to get/hatch chicks and don't realize that it's a big responsibility. Chickens can live 10 years and are domesticated animals so need care from humans

If you want a fun biology project raise butterflies from caterpillars. Takes a few weeks and then you can safely let the butterflies free.

alef12

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 1:51 am
And just know. Many places that are willing to take your unwanted cockerels (young male chickens) are raising them for fighting. (A huge tzar baalei chaim issue as well as being illegal in most places)

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 2:12 am
alef12 wrote:
And just know. Many places that are willing to take your unwanted cockerels (young male chickens) are raising them for fighting. (A huge tzar baalei chaim issue as well as being illegal in most places)

True fact. Sad

Good for you, Aleph12, for helping so many.

Just for the record: I don't run a fighting ring. I just like raising chickens, though I only keep hens and just cycle in roosters as needed. (Close-packed neighborhood. I'd LOVE to keep a proper rooster.) But I know people whom would be interested in good quality roosters to build up their flock, or to raise them for meat. If you're in Israel, we can make an arrangement.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 11:19 am
ugh, I don't like these gruesome facts, who needs chickens to fight??
I'm in tri-state area and would love to give them over to someone...

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 11:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
ugh, I don't like these gruesome facts, who needs chickens to fight??
I'm in tri-state area and would love to give them over to someone...

It's a betting attraction, and it's been going on for thousands of years. It's illegal in new York, but there was still a guy who had a fighting ring in the lot next door to our apartment building growing up.

If you don't want gruesome, then I won't tell you what most farmers do with male chicks... But the above poster is right. If you're giving them away after, check and see where they're going and what will be done with them.

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 11:38 am
What about growing vegetables in clear containers, and teaching your kids about farm to table, plant parts, harvesting, processing etc? Considering what you want, it sounds more to the point.

ice coffee

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 11:51 am
There are places that rent you the eggs with everything includes, as well as baby chicks. They deliver and pick up after a month.
Google it

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 11:51 am
Google for a farm near you that will provide all the supplies and take the babies back once they are born.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 12:23 pm
ice coffee wrote:
There are places that rent you the eggs with everything includes, as well as baby chicks. They deliver and pick up after a month.
Google it

Yes I just saw something yesterday. It was about $100 and you have it for a month.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 11:39 pm
Rachel Shira wrote:
Yes I just saw something yesterday. It was about $100 and you have it for a month.

This sounds like a perfect solution, but $100 is a bit steep, has anyone done this for a more affordable price?

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 11:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I know ppl in the Monsey area with chickens who may be open to having more if you are near there.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 10:46 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
I know ppl in the Monsey area with chickens who may be open to having more if you are near there.

Thank you, that would be an option. How can I find out about that?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling