Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Boys playing with guns

mommy2

Post Sat, Sep 10 2005, 8:27 pm
A few months ago, my 4 year old son started making all his toys into guns, I tried to stop him by telling him that guns aren't nice to play with... This Shabbos, his friend came over the first thing they did was take out the legos to make guns. My 2 yr old started making guns... I'm wondering if this is normal by all 4 year olds and what do u do to stop it? My frum neighbours kids also play with water guns, and my son watched them with envy. so I'm wondering is this just part of being boys and should I not discourage it and even buy him a super soaker??? so that he's not jealous of other kids? Just btw, there is no television etc. in my house, and we never mentioned guns in our house.

Mandy

Post Sat, Sep 10 2005, 8:32 pm
It's pretty normal but you can discourage it if you want to. With the legos, I would show them other things to build with legso ( let's build a zoo for all our animals, etc.). With the water guns, just call them squirters. I think I wouldn't be upset if my kids played with water guns unless they used the gun language also ( I'll kill you, now you're dead,etc.) if they are just squirting each other, it is fine.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 12:35 am
I don't think it's anything dangerous, my brothers and sisters play with clicks and a few times they made guns, but they also made some kind of band to wear and a hat as if they are soldiers, pretending to play war, but all they do is make strict faces and march around the house with it, they don't use any gun language.. no tv in our house either..

Tefila

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 1:32 am
Quote:

I don't think it's anything dangerous

But it can breed violent behaviour.... something we don't want to educate our Jewish boys in. b/c in those games someone has to pretend to have gotten killed Confused
My husband and I have always said no to guns Exclamation

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 6:51 am
My mother also says no to guns, even on purim when they want to dress up as a soldier.
I remember when I was about 14 we did a play in school and my part was to be one of the bad men, my mother told me I can do the part but w/out the gun..

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 6:56 am
it's very normal, but where I teach we have a "no gun" rule. if the kids would keep making guns out of lego, we take the lego away. Guns aren't for Jewish boys, we say. (Unfortunately, wouldn't you say a water gun is fun?? but better to your a spray bottle)

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 8:03 am
I don't have a source, but I grew up learning that the Lubav Rebbe discouraged guns as toys. we want to instill good middos in our kids,and surround them with kedushah even in play and imagination time. Obviously when they are out of their house, they could see these things..but at least in your own home wouldn't you want an atmosphere of holiness for your child..honestly when they play with guns..they are "acting" violent.

queen

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 11:03 am
I was brought up in a home that didn't play with guns (even water) and plan on doing the same. As Freilich mentioned, it breeds not nice traits.

Motek

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 2:32 pm
mommy2 wrote:
A few months ago, my 4 year old son started making all his toys into guns

where did this idea come from?

mommy2

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 4:20 pm
school

mommy2

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 5:38 pm
Thanks e/o for your answers:
but isnt child's play a way to work out their fears, if this is so then isnt it good to work it out in a safe way?
on the hand, since its not what I want my son playing.. should I make a big deal about it and mention it to the teacher?
Also, just wondering to those who answered me, do u also have boys-age 4? b/c I think this is an issue especially at that age and especially w boys.

Tefila

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 8:12 pm
Quote:
Also, just wondering to those who answered me, do u also have boys-age 4? b/c I think this is an issue especially at that age and especially w boys.

Yes 8) And I know they pick davka this up eigther at school or playmates but now is the time to stop it in it's tracks. Hatzlacha Wink

Mandy

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 6:46 am
I don't think that gun play is a way to work out fears unless maybe your husband is in the military. Why would your son have fears that relate to violence ? I do have a 4 year old son.

mommy2

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 8:57 am
Mandy my hhusband is not in the military and I dont think my son even understands what a gun is. Anyway, I think I'm going to go w my first instinct to continue discouraging gun play.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics