Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
That Story with Crowded House and Rabbi

windchime

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 1:28 pm
Did the story of the Rabbi telling the man who complained about no room in his house, to bring in his animals etc... cross anyone's mind during this pandemic lock-down?
It occurred to me the other day, how please Gd when things get back to normal, many families will have a similar experience to that man's family in the story.
I guess life is all perspective.

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 1:56 pm
What crossed my mind(and what I'm tempted to throw at those who gripe about crowding, having to entertain children, being unable to go out, and suffering shortages) is people who hid out during the Holocaust, for months or years, often in tiny underground lockers or in windowless rooms, having to remain absolutely silent and having no lights on at night to prevent giving away their location, and being unable to go out AT ALL, at literal risk of death. When you consider that, the lockdown doesn't seem quite so bad, does it?

Abby2

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 1:58 pm
zaq wrote:
What crossed my mind(and what I'm tempted to throw at those who gripe about crowding, having to entertain children, being unable to go out, and suffering shortages) is people who hid out during the Holocaust, for months or years, often in tiny underground lockers or in windowless rooms, having to remain absolutely silent and having no lights on at night to prevent giving away their location, and being unable to go out AT ALL, at literal risk of death. When you consider that, the lockdown doesn't seem quite so bad, does it?

I also thought about this. I recently read a story about a girl who hid in a wine barrel. That definitely put things into perspective for me.

sub

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 2:09 pm
zaq wrote:

That’s what keeps me from complaining. We have, food, clothing, a roof over our head, entertainment,
Both my grandfathers lost wives and children, my fil was hiding in forests, I am named after a great aunt whom my grandmother saw being led to the ovens with her 2 boys.

tichellady

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 2:27 pm
zaq wrote:

Please don’t ever say this to anyone. You can think it to yourself if you find it helpful or comforting. Personally I find it upsetting and depressing. So I should think of horrible situations to make my pain and suffering feel less valid and real? This just makes me feel sad for all the people now and in the past who have lived through horrible oppression and slavery and genocide while not making my situation feel any better. “ I’m glad I’m not living through the Holocaust” isn’t exactly comforting
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics