Home

Tell me about... (Game)
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 94, 95, 96  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


singleagain




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:17 pm
If/when I cook I cook simple foods. Comfort foods. I don't like to experiment a ton.

Tell me if there is a specific tefillah to say when baking challah l'ilui neshmat someone who was just niftar
Back to top

simcha4




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:21 pm
dankbar wrote:
I have a closet full of clothes but nothing to wear

Tell me about what type of cuisine you cook


I don't like to patchke. Nothing that has an endless list of ingreds. and ingreds. which I can't pronounce or they're not found in the local supermarkets.
In short: only what I know my family likes.

Tell me about which conversation topics you enjoy.
Back to top

singleagain




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:30 pm
simcha4 wrote:
That sounds interesting. These people really think the only thing they can control re their day and themselves is their sleep pattern?
Isn't it a bit of a vicious circle? I mean, truly, no person is in control of their life, it is Hashem who totally controls our lives. But Hashem Gave Yidden Bechirah - choice, a Yid can choose how he's going to act in any situation.

The above was just me analyzing your words in my mind. I'm still at it ...

Re that study: don't the participants realize that not sleeping well will give them even less ability to have control over some parts of their lives, b/c they're not functioning properly from lack of sleep?


Yes. It is a vicious cycle. Here is a Wikipedia link with more detail. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....ation . The official thing is called bedtime procrastination. Apparently some people who thought they haven't insomnia turns out they had this. I think most people don't even realize that this is what they're doing.
Back to top

simcha4




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:47 pm
singleagain wrote:
If/when I cook I cook simple foods. Comfort foods. I don't like to experiment a ton.

Tell me if there is a specific tefillah to say when baking challah l'ilui neshmat someone who was just niftar


Sorry, I unintentionally crossposted "singleagain's" post.
Here it is.
I'm also interested in the answer to her beautiful question.
Back to top

happytobemom




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 12:34 am
singleagain wrote:
If/when I cook I cook simple foods. Comfort foods. I don't like to experiment a ton.

Tell me if there is a specific tefillah to say when baking challah l'ilui neshmat someone who was just niftar

I haven't found any specific tefillos. I would say a regular tefillah for hafrashas challah, and then daven in your own words for the aliyah of his neshama and a lichtege gan eden. Hafrashas challah is an eis ratzon, a special time to daven in any way.
You can also say the letters of the niftar's name from perek 119, and the letters of "neshama" from 119.

Tell me about a special memory of a loved one who is no longer with you.
Back to top

singleagain




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 12:42 am
Thank you for that.

So, my Sabba was just niftar and one of the things I shared was that a few years ago we were burning chametz in my fireplace (like we do) and my Sabba suddenly commented that he doesn't think Santa will come down or chimney anymore. Made me lol and tweet it.

https://twitter.com/morethenth.....;s=19

Oh and his face was always scratchy from stubble


Tell me about a memory that you hold close to you
Back to top

happytobemom




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:14 am
singleagain wrote:
Thank you for that.

So, my Sabba was just niftar and one of the things I shared was that a few years ago we were burning chametz in my fireplace (like we do) and my Sabba suddenly commented that he doesn't think Santa will come down or chimney anymore. Made me lol and tweet it.

Tell me about a memory that you hold close to you

Can't open the link (my filter) but I love that!

I was going through a rough time in high school, and one day my principal came to me out of the blue (seemingly) and took me out of school. We got into her car and she went to do some errands! I just went along with her to a couple of stores, and we shmoozed. It was exactly what I needed at that time. I don't know if we discussed anything intense, but she did bring up an answer I had given on a questionnaire that had been given to my class, asked me what made me write what I wrote, gave me the opening I needed to talk about my thoughts and feelings.
A small thing, but something I'll always remember, as it really lifted me out of what was probably depression on some scale to a much better place.
The same principal, when I was going through a physical/medical issue, told me how what I was going through was real yissurim, and really helped me with my outlook on that. That was very validating. And when a year later, a teacher in seminary told me, this is not real suffering, and made me feel so dumb and petty for even sharing with her, I tried to bring back what my HS principal had said. Sure, it was small suffering, but I've learned that just because someone else is suffering more, that doesn't make your suffering nothing. And certainly shouldn't be made to feel that from someone in such a position. (I've found other people to talk to since then!)

Sorry for rambling!

Tell me about a compliment you received in the past that you still remember.
Back to top

happytobemom




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:16 am
happytobemom wrote:

Tell me about a compliment you received in the past that you still remember.

Lol just realized how brilliant that is - can you tell me about it if you don't remember it? Smile
Back to top

singleagain




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:17 am
happytobemom wrote:
Lol just realized how brilliant that is - can you tell me about it if you don't remember it? Smile


Some people might not remember the actual words said but they'll remember how it made them feel.

ETA. Your principal was wise. And so true. Just bc someone else has it worse, doesn't make your situation go away. And doesn't mean you don't deserve it to be made easy.
Back to top

happytobemom




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:33 am
singleagain wrote:
Some people might not remember the actual words said but they'll remember how it made them feel.

ETA. Your principal was wise. And so true. Just bc someone else has it worse, doesn't make your situation go away. And doesn't mean you don't deserve it to be made easy.

Especially from the one in the position of listener. Sure, I can myself try to think of others who are suffering more than me, but to hear that from someone else will only make me feel small and low.
I heard Rabbi Ephraim Wachsman say, someone asked, (prob to a Rebbe, don't remember which one), every bad middah has its equivalent in good. (ex. jealousy vs. kinas sofrim) What can be the good in kefirah? He answered, kefirah is for when someone else is going through a tzara. For myself, I need be strong, trusting... But for others, no preaching emunah or anything. And I see from being in the needy position, I was only changed for the positive when I was validated that I was going through something tough!
Thanx for hearing me out, as always!
Back to top

happytobemom




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:40 am
My apologies everyone for derailing this game! But here's why: Smile

simcha4 wrote:
I also love this game... Everyone is so friendly, it's very warm and cozy.
Thank you to all you dear players for creating this atmosphere. May it always continue, iy"H. Smile


Here's my last one:

happytobemom wrote:
Tell me about a compliment you received in the past that you still remember.
Back to top

Esty 4




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 7:54 pm
my therapist on my resilience

tell me about tu beshvat
Back to top

dankbar




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 1:30 am
This year I used whatever I had on hand instead of buying new paper goods to set up.

We had orange square plates, napkins rolled up & tied with fake banana with a wire. Small planter plates for the fruit, with fake mini apple to decorate. Cups were a wooden print. Had some dried fruits & some whole fresh fruits in a bowl.
My kids don't like the dried fruits besides for dates. My husband claimed the sugar is getting to his teeth, probably needs dental work.
Idk why I always buy a little of each type to taste, from the loose stuff, but everything stays left over. I should've learned already, but with what will I set up then?

I also used green leaf placemats in center of table

Tell me about the snow in your area


Last edited by dankbar on Mon, Jan 17 2022, 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

Tof Umachol




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 3:37 am
dankbar wrote:

Tell me about the snow in your area


Traditionally in Jerusalem we used to get at least one good snowstorm a winter. In recent years, there has been less snow. Some years there is none. It's quite a celebration when it snows here. The kids don't go to school and plenty of people (not only the kids!) go out to play in the snow. No way to tell whether we'll get any this winter. This week is very cold, and there's some talk of light snow this Wednesday, but who knows.

Tell me about keeping in touch with relatives who live quite far away.
Back to top

BubblyBubby




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 3:59 am
Quote:
Tell me about keeping in touch with relatives who live quite far away.


It's really, really easy now.

When I was a child and we moved far away from my hometown, we had to strictly limit phone calls, because it was so expensive. We wrote letters (pen and paper, poststamp, imagine!). We visited during vacations and went to see all the family members, one after the other. I was terribly homesick for several years...

I dreamed of riding an electron in an electron emitter, which could travel at 10 km per second, which would have allowed me to be home in less than 5 minutes...

Tell me about being homesick
Back to top

6000miles




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 4:49 am
BubblyBubby wrote:
Quote:
Tell me about keeping in touch with relatives who live quite far away.


It's really, really easy now.

When I was a child and we moved far away from my hometown, we had to strictly limit phone calls, because it was so expensive. We wrote letters (pen and paper, poststamp, imagine!). We visited during vacations and went to see all the family members, one after the other. I was terribly homesick for several years...

I dreamed of riding an electron in an electron emitter, which could travel at 10 km per second, which would have allowed me to be home in less than 5 minutes...

Tell me about being homesick

My sister is dating and I know she might get engaged any day and I won't be there. Every time I think about it tears fill my eyes. I'm so, so happy for her. But I wanna be there to celebrate with her. It's hard, being 6,000 miles away.

Tell me about your favorite book/movie.
Back to top

BubblyBubby




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 4:57 am
6000miles wrote:
My sister is dating and I know she might get engaged any day and I won't be there. Every time I think about it tears fill my eyes. I'm so, so happy for her. But I wanna be there to celebrate with her. It's hard, being 6,000 miles away.

Wow, I feel with you. it's really hard, especially in moments like that.
Hug Hug Hug

Quote:

Tell me about your favorite book/movie.


It's a movie about a French baroque composer, St. Colombe and his student, Lully. St. Colombe lives withdrawn in the country side and shares his music just with his daughters and simple peasants around him, because he hates the artifices and dishonesty of court life. His student, Lully, decides to go to the court (of King Louis XiV) and becomes rich and famous... It's called "Tous les matins du monde" (all the mornings in the world)

Tell me about reading books
Back to top

leebs




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 6:03 am
BubblyBubby wrote:
It's a movie about a French baroque composer, St. Colombe and his student, Lully. St. Colombe lives withdrawn in the country side and shares his music just with his daughters and simple peasants around him, because he hates the artifices and dishonesty of court life. His student, Lully, decides to go to the court (of King Louis XiV) and becomes rich and famous... It's called "Tous les matins du monde" (all the mornings in the world)

Tell me about reading books

As a teenager I used to read books before falling asleep. I would read until I noticed I'm reading the same line over and over and the letters are dancing

Tell me about your first date
Back to top

dankbar




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 10:23 am
The day I met my husband the first time, I was engaged. Hashem put the right words into my husband's mouth to make it happen

Tell me about your today's schedule
Back to top

simcha4




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 1:46 pm
dankbar wrote:
This year I used whatever I had on hand instead of buying new paper goods to set up.

We had orange square plates, napkins rolled up & tied with fake banana with a wire. Small planter plates for the fruit, with fake mini apple to decorate. Cups were a wooden print. Had some dried fruits & some whole fresh fruits in a bowl.
My kids don't like the dried fruits besides for dates. My husband claimed the sugar is getting to his teeth, probably needs dental work.
Idk why I always buy a little of each type to taste, from the loose stuff, but everything stays left over. I should've learned already, but with what will I set up then?

I also used green leaf placemats in center of table

Tell me about the snow in your area


Really sounds beautiful how you decorated the table. kol hakavod!
I'd love to see a picture if you could post.
Very creative.
Yeah, I also don't eat dates for the same reason Sad

I felt that Tu B'Shvat in Eretz Yisrael this year, had an extra special feeling b/c it's Shemittah year.
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 94, 95, 96  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 90 of 96 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Word game 2073 Yesterday at 11:32 pm View last post
New word game? 186 Wed, May 18 2022, 10:46 pm View last post
A-Z game 1313 Wed, May 18 2022, 6:24 pm View last post
New game, not a word game 20 Wed, May 18 2022, 11:50 am View last post
Need game ideas to order
by amother
23 Tue, Apr 19 2022, 7:50 am View last post