Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Refunds for seminary in EY
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 10:52 am
Those of you who brought their daughters home from seminary before pesach due to coronavirus and have daughters now getting zoom classes but obviously no room and board.... are you still paying the full amount for those last three months?

amother
Black

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 10:56 am
Yes.
It was an expense for the year.
I consider it spent money. I do not have additionally expense having her home as she does not eat so much and I am saving money on Cofix/transport/Shabbos hostess gifts. Calling it a wash.

Money is tight here, DH out of work, but that is not on the Sem who still has most of their operating expenses.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 10:58 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Yes.
I consider it spent money. I do not have additionally expense having her home as she does not eat so much and I am saving money on Cofix/transport/Shabbos hostess gifts. Calling it a wash.

Money is tight here, DH out of work, but that is not on the Sem who still has most of their operating expenses.

They still have to pay their teachers etc but definitely will save a significant amount on utilities, food, and trips for three months. Why wouldn’t that savings be passed on to the parents?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 10:59 am
I don't know about seminaries, but I do know that a number of yeshiva programs for boys are giving shiur online, and are calculating now what kind of refunds they will give. It's complicated in part because the zman goes until right before Tisha b'av (end of July) and as of now nobody knows if the boys can come back sometime in June to finish out the zman, if they'll learn straight through the summer, or if the boys won't come back at all until Elul (or later) or not at all.

Also, for programs that work through YU, there are some other logistical details to work out in terms of giving credit.

But if course they want to help.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:01 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Yes.

You paid for her cofix/transport/shabbos hostess gifts?!? Heavens.

byisrael

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:02 am
Don't have kids that age so assuming the the seminaries have a lot of expenses just like schools here in the US, as they expected a full year (rent/mortgage, arnona supplies stocked...) - I would ask for a reduction because it obviously doesn't cost them the same but I wouldn't completely stop paying

Simple1

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:08 am
byisrael wrote:
Don't have kids that age so assuming the the seminaries have a lot of expenses just like schools here in the US, as they expected a full year (rent/mortgage, arnona supplies stocked...) - I would ask for a reduction because it obviously doesn't cost them the same but I wouldn't completely stop paying

The difference is that seminary is a one time thing. The girls got sent home and it's over. A school is your school over the course of several years.

Regarding distance learning, lets be honest. The girls were there for the experience.

watergirl

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:21 am
My best friend and her husband both taught at seminaries. Both had their contracts suspended without pay for the rest of the year.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:30 am
At the very least, I'd expect a refund for some portion of the dorm and food cost, plus they are not taking tiyulim that they usually spend money on. American colleges are refunding a portion of room and board.

banana123

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They still have to pay their teachers etc but definitely will save a significant amount on utilities, food, and trips for three months. Why wouldn’t that savings be passed on to the parents?

I have no stake in this.

But trips are often year-long contracts with a given tour company, guide, etc. - that's not money they are likely to get back anytime soon.

Utilities (water and electricity) they may save, but they still need to pay for the security guards (for instance - and no it doesn't matter if there aren't students at the moment), property tax (sky-high, especially in Jerusalem), and other expenses. They probably also have other debts that they are in the middle of paying, and training staff to use Zoom, putting out the money for their paid plans, are both unexpected expenses that also may come with additional expenses. Oh, also, they are still paying insurance expenses (for whatever group health plan they used, and for their own business insurance expenses, and for the site itself, and possibly for a group phone plan).

Could be the catering company they still have to pay something to, even if they're not paying for the food itself.

The savings is mainly water, electricity, and food, but IIRC they also just lost an enormous amount of money due to something the government did (can't remember what at the second).

So a) ask your seminary if you need the money back, and b) be aware that unless you're okay with them closing next year, they may not be able to give you the money back, and c) if they can't it's not necessarily because they are stingy, it could be that they legit can't do it.

Like I said, I have no stake in this - I don't run a seminary, don't have family who run a seminary, don't have kids in sem, and I bichlal live in Israel. Just trying to shed some light on the issue.

banana123

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:48 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
At the very least, I'd expect a refund for some portion of the dorm and food cost, plus they are not taking tiyulim that they usually spend money on. American colleges are refunding a portion of room and board.

Tiyulim are generally a year-long contract, often (usually?) paid ahead of time.

banana123

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:48 am
watergirl wrote:
My best friend and her husband both taught at seminaries. Both had their contracts suspended without pay for the rest of the year.

Curious, were those seminaries attached to Israeli programs?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:55 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:

Most American colleges have endowments to see them through.

I don’t know the answer, to be honest. These schools can’t survive without being able to pay rent and salaries. But people are also squeezed financially at this point.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 12:08 pm
My sister was in seminary. My parents asked for a partial refund and were told no.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 12:10 pm
We just emailed our daughters NY seminary that we are not able to pay until the end of the year. We didn't pay in advance, just monthly. She is just there for the learning and experience (no credits) and is totally fine missing the zoom classes they are providing. I do feel bad and if we had spare money I would totally pay. I think many of their teachers are part time and I have no idea if they are still being paid.

Our son's yeshiva is partially refunding for some expenses (mostly food) they won't have.

I would be really upset if I had a daughter in Israel seminary this year. Sad

amother
Black

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 10:52 am
Just got an email from my DDs Sem that they are refunding money, as while they have expenses (classes are being taught in person, and also being held over Zoom -25% of the girls are still there). They have cancelled the shabbatons and trips and are returning what they can as they understand that many of us have financial needs.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 12:06 pm
So I have a unique situation. I raised money to send the daughter of a relative to seminary. Was situation where the girl needed to get out of a very dysfunctional family situation.

Seminary agreed to a very reduced price for this girl.

We raised 70% of that price. The rest should have come from Masa, but it turned out, the family is so dysfunctional, they haven't filed taxes for the past few years. So she couldn't get Masa (because they look at income. Family is very low income but there was nothing to show.)

So now we don't know what to do. I don't really have the 30% balance. The family has no money. And some of the people who were giving maaser money for this situation have had financial losses lately. And the girl is back home (in not an easy situation.) Should the people be asked to contribute more money now when the girl isn't even there. The original intent of their giving the money was to give to her. Now it's like giving to the seminary.

Seminary was technically paid thru March, when girl came home. They haven't said anything so far. Not sure how this will play out.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 12:29 pm
banana123 wrote:
I have no stake in this.

But trips are often year-long contracts with a given tour company, guide, etc. - that's not money they are likely to get back anytime soon.

Utilities (water and electricity) they may save, but they still need to pay for the security guards (for instance - and no it doesn't matter if there aren't students at the moment), property tax (sky-high, especially in Jerusalem), and other expenses. They probably also have other debts that they are in the middle of paying, and training staff to use Zoom, putting out the money for their paid plans, are both unexpected expenses that also may come with additional expenses. Oh, also, they are still paying insurance expenses (for whatever group health plan they used, and for their own business insurance expenses, and for the site itself, and possibly for a group phone plan).

Could be the catering company they still have to pay something to, even if they're not paying for the food itself.

The savings is mainly water, electricity, and food, but IIRC they also just lost an enormous amount of money due to something the government did (can't remember what at the second).

So a) ask your seminary if you need the money back, and b) be aware that unless you're okay with them closing next year, they may not be able to give you the money back, and c) if they can't it's not necessarily because they are stingy, it could be that they legit can't do it.

Like I said, I have no stake in this - I don't run a seminary, don't have family who run a seminary, don't have kids in sem, and I bichlal live in Israel. Just trying to shed some light on the issue.

The passive threat that be prepared that ABC wont be able to reopen is quite inappropriate, especially during this time.

Institutions should be trying to address the financial concerns at the moment, and not use any passive form of coercion to people struggling with the CV ramifications.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 12:47 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
So I have a unique situation. I raised money to send the daughter of a relative to seminary. Was situation where the girl needed to get out of a very dysfunctional family situation.

Seminary agreed to a very reduced price for this girl.

We raised 70% of that price. The rest should have come from Masa, but it turned out, the family is so dysfunctional, they haven't filed taxes for the past few years. So she couldn't get Masa (because they look at income. Family is very low income but there was nothing to show.)

So now we don't know what to do. I don't really have the 30% balance. The family has no money. And some of the people who were giving maaser money for this situation have had financial losses lately. And the girl is back home (in not an easy situation.) Should the people be asked to contribute more money now when the girl isn't even there. The original intent of their giving the money was to give to her. Now it's like giving to the seminary.

Seminary was technically paid thru March, when girl came home. They haven't said anything so far. Not sure how this will play out.

I would call the Sem and speak to them. In my experience, most people are reasonable and want to accommodate when they feel like they are being treated with honesty, integrity and respect.
If they are refunding money, I imagine you won't get that % back, but they should be very reasonable about the balance.
Call them. In my opinion, the worst thing to do is ignore or avoid situations.

Kol hakavod to you for sending this girl to what I am sure was a life altering experience and making her feel loved and supported through your going out for her.
Tizku li'mitzvot.
May Hashem repay you 1000 times over and may your family never be in need of tzidaka or chessed.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 12:49 pm
banana123 wrote:
I have no stake in this.

How are u shedding light on something u admit to know nothing about?

Most seminaries have their own kitchens/ cooks. While they MIGHT be paying the cooks still. They most definitely should be able to stop the food orders.

Phone and insurance plans are paid by students and or staff (not their building or business insurance etc)

They definitely still have some costs. Parents are entitled to transparency if they need to pay- Are teachers still getting paid? Support and office staff?

And btw not all are having Zoom classes either.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics