Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
Making do with limited gardening supplies

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:07 am
I container garden, and I was planning to do an April trip to Home Depot. That's not happening. I have some seedlings that I started already. Is there any way to stretch potting soil so you need less of it? And I have some Jobe's houseplant fertilizer sticks; is there harm in using them for other plants?

Nadja

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:18 am
I'm not sure where you are, I'm in Michigan..we can still get potting soil at home depot. But... maybe use newspaper at the bottom of your pots first. And I believe a fertilizer stick works well for any plant...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:36 am
What's the difference between houseplant fertilizer and all purpose?

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:37 am
You can start making your own rich soil for no cost just by composting your fruit and vegetable scraps, egg shells, peels..get great quality soil for free.

Nadja

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 12:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What's the difference between houseplant fertilizer and all purpose?

I wonder if all purpose is strong? 🤷‍♀️

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:35 pm
Amazon has dirt

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:39 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
You can start making your own rich soil for no cost just by composting your fruit and vegetable scraps, egg shells, peels..get great quality soil for free.

& coffee grinds

while compost is a wonderful idea, it takes time to break down ... like 6 months

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 2:23 pm
If I can use the houseplant fertilizer sticks, should I follow the instructions for houseplants, or do outdoor plants need a different dosage?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 2:29 pm
I would put one fertilizer stick in a gallon jug of water, and then use that to water the plants. As the plants get established, cut it down to 1/2 of a stick.

You can stretch your potting soil by digging up ordinary dirt, and putting it through a colander that has large holes. You can get the cheap plastic ones that are used for pasta, where the holes are big enough for a lentil to fit through. Just keep sifting and breaking up the clumps, removing stones and weed roots as you go.

You can speed up the process if you mix a mud slurry, and then run the mud through the colander, then mix the mud with dry potting soil. If you live in an apartment and don't have access to a yard, get a bucket and find an empty lot.

I have the opposite problem. Lots of access to dirt, but no potting soil or fertilizer, and nobody is delivering in my area. So frustrating!

gamanit

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 2:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If I can use the houseplant fertilizer sticks, should I follow the instructions for houseplants, or do outdoor plants need a different dosage?

You might need less than houseplants depending on the root structure. Start with half the dose and see if they need more.

Rappel

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 3:34 pm
FF hit it on the head!

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 3:47 pm
I had a big bag of soil delivered from Home Depot before Pesach.
I was hoping to be able to get more.

Tzippy323

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 4:01 pm
I actually ordered soil, potato grow bags, and straw from Walmart. But to tell the truth, the weather has been so wacky this year, I’m in New York, I have only started a few things in the house using hydroponics.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 4:29 pm
I'm doing a gardening project with my kids (first time) and I thought these clips looked helpful

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening