Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Who gets the extra $600 unemployment pay?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:55 am
Dh applied and is eligible for $230/week. Whoopdedoo. How can we get the additional $600 everyone's talking about?

This is NJ.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 12:07 pm
AFAIK, it’s a N.Y. thing. I applied for unemployment and got my benefits plus $600 automatically.

watergirl

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 12:14 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
AFAIK, it’s a N.Y. thing. I applied for unemployment and got my benefits plus $600 automatically.

Its federal.

OP, I’m sorry, I don't know where to advise you to look. I suggest google to start.

keym

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 12:21 pm
I'm not sure, but I think it's automatically added. My husband has been eligible for a certain amount in unemployment. For the past 2 weeks it's been directly deposited. 2 deposits from NJ unemployment. The regular amount and $600.
Hatzlocha.
Just remember to recertify each week that he was available for work but couldn't find any.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 12:32 pm
It’s under the cares act did you apply for the cares act it’s an additional payment.

Does anyone know for how long you get the additional $600? I think it’s only a few weeks. How long is the longest you have it for?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 12:35 pm
In NY, I only got the 600 starting from the beg of april, when I think it began. I heard it goes for 13 weeks, but not sure...

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 12:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Dh applied and is eligible for $230/week. Whoopdedoo. How can we get the additional $600 everyone's talking about?

This is NJ.

He'll get it if his NJ claim is accepted.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 12:39 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
He'll get it if his NJ claim is accepted.

So no need to apply additionally for the CARES act?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 12:41 pm
All theses programs depend on how much you make/made.
My DH is currently unemployed, is getting max unemployment, which is significantly less than he made and doesn't cover our expenses, and we don't qualify for any of the federal stimulus packages of any sort.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:00 pm
Since the $600 is federal, I imagine it's the same as any state, but I can only speak for NY.
The extra $600 is regardless of income. In NY, you can get UP TO $504 in unemployment weekly, depending on income.
ON TOP OF THAT, you will get an additional $600 per week extra, due to the CARES act. This is automatic. You get 2 direct deposits each week.
IF YOU GET REJECTED FOR THE UNEMPLOYMENT, you can then try to apply for just the $600 a week in a separate section. Some people that are not eligible for unemployment may still be eligible for the $600.

To sum up, if you apply for unemployment, you do not have to apply separately for the additional $600 a week. If you're approved, you will get it automatically, regardless of income, on top of whatever unemployment is sending you.
If you are rejected for unemployment, you can try to apply on your state's unemployment site for the 'PUA', as it's called.

qwerty4

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:04 pm
Do you get the bonus even if your weekly wage is below $600?

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:07 pm
qwerty4 wrote:
Do you get the bonus even if your weekly wage is below $600?

If approved for unemployment, you will get the unemployment + $600 even if this will add up to more than your salary.
That's one of the reasons this is so controversial - there are some people walking away with more when unemployed than when employed.

I'm personally making more while on unemployment, but I (and I imagine most others) would give it up in a second for the peace of mind of having a job.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:10 pm
In NJ it's automatic for people on unemployment regardless how much you made. Besides for that, there is a maximum unemployment benefit even if you made alot of money.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:14 pm
OP, as long as you had submitted tax returns for 2018, and the government has your direct deposit info on hand for receiving unemployment insurance, you will get the $600. This is supposed to continue through July 31.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 2:31 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Since the $600 is federal, I imagine it's the same as any state, but I can only speak for NY.
The extra $600 is regardless of income. In NY, you can get UP TO $504 in unemployment weekly, depending on income.
ON TOP OF THAT, you will get an additional $600 per week extra, due to the CARES act. This is automatic. You get 2 direct deposits each week.
IF YOU GET REJECTED FOR THE UNEMPLOYMENT, you can then try to apply for just the $600 a week in a separate section. Some people that are not eligible for unemployment may still be eligible for the $600.

To sum up, if you apply for unemployment, you do not have to apply separately for the additional $600 a week. If you're approved, you will get it automatically, regardless of income, on top of whatever unemployment is sending you.
If you are rejected for unemployment, you can try to apply on your state's unemployment site for the 'PUA', as it's called.

Hi,
Id love to hear how its possible to get the $600 if your payroll has not been stopped. let me know if you have details. Thanks!

cnc

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 4:48 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Hi,
Id love to hear how its possible to get the $600 if your payroll has not been stopped. let me know if you have details. Thanks!

You can’t . The $600 is part of unemployment .

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 10:34 pm
I live in NJ and I got paid so far for 3 weeks of unemployment but I didn't receive the additional $600 each week. Should I call someone or wait and see if it gets deposited in my account? I am set up for direct deposit.

I also was told on my claim status that I will be receiving $389 a week but I ended up only receiving $350 each week. Do they deduct anything? I don't understand why I didn't get the full amount I was promised.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 11:24 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I live in NJ and I got paid so far for 3 weeks of unemployment but I didn't receive the additional $600 each week. Should I call someone or wait and see if it gets deposited in my account? I am set up for direct deposit.

I also was told on my claim status that I will be receiving $389 a week but I ended up only receiving $350 each week. Do they deduct anything? I don't understand why I didn't get the full amount I was promised.

They deduct taxes. You can view the breakdown online.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 1:32 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
OP, as long as you had submitted tax returns for 2018, and the government has your direct deposit info on hand for receiving unemployment insurance, you will get the $600. This is supposed to continue through July 31.

I don’t understand hopefully people will have their jobs back before July do you really think you will need unemployment for so long? Are we really going to be locked up through July?

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 8:32 am
allthingsblue wrote:
They deduct taxes. You can view the breakdown online.

I checked online to see if they deduct taxes and NJ was listed was one of the few states that does not deduct taxes from unemployment payments. See below for more details on this. I don't understand why I didn't get the full amount that I was promised.

Are unemployment, disability payments, or family leave insurance taxable for New Jersey Income Tax purposes? Unemployment compensation and temporary disability (including family leave insurance benefits) received from the State of New Jersey or as third-party sick pay are not taxable.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics