Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
I cannot stop watching this video series!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 2:48 pm
https://www.youtube.com/channe.....rSmtQ

This wonderful man goes around the world, interviewing people with medical conditions, asking about their lives, likes and dislikes, and how they prefer to communicate. He interviews the parents, teachers, and therapists as well, depending on the person being interviewed.

Super clean and kosher to watch. I would absolutely watch it with kids, especially so that they will accept people who are different, so that they won't be scared or super awkward. If you don't want your kid to yell "Why is that lady ugly?" or "What's wrong with that baby?" when you are out in public, this is a great place to start raising awareness.

Each story is completely different, but every single one of them is positive and hopeful, full of love and joy.

I grew up around people with differences, but I'm still learning new things about how to respectfully interact with people who communicate in different ways, or have different limitations.

After watching this series, you'll look at the word "disability" in a whole new light.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 2:50 pm
This is one of my favorites:

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 3:38 pm

I've noticed that almost all special needs people are the nicest people EVER. They don't seem to have a mean bone in their body, even on bad days. They often have such incredible faith, too.

I think that people with developmental disabilities that affect their IQ are often the sweetest. It makes me think of my grandfather - he had a genius IQ, and was meaner than a rattlesnake with a migraine. He was also a raging alcoholic, and said "I drink because it's the only way I can tolerate being around idiots."

So, does being "less smart" tend to make you a better person? Does having a high IQ make you look down on others, and often make you a miserable person?

I'm sure there are exceptions on all sides, but it's something I think about. Before you make fun of someone who is less intelligent than you are, stop and think for a minute. Maybe they are more blessed than you, and much happier with their lot in life!

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 4:15 pm
I used to watch this all the time.

ora_43

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 4:30 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
So, does being "less smart" tend to make you a better person? Does having a high IQ make you look down on others, and often make you a miserable person?

In general, nope, not at all. I've met plenty of cruel idiots and plenty of very kind smart people.

That said there's a difference between "less smart" and intellectually disabled, and I do agree that many intellectually disabled people are unusually sweet.

And on the other end of the spectrum, for someone truly genius-level - like, the opposite of intellectually impaired, not just "smartest in their school" or whatever - it can be very isolating, because so few people around them are at their intellectual level. So that could lead to depression or other poor outcomes. Also, sometimes parents and teachers are so impressed that a kid is reading and doing math way beyond their grade level, and not making any trouble, that they fail to realize that the kid is missing some important social skills or life skills.

But that's only something that might happen, if their abilities aren't nurtured and if they aren't given opportunities to socialize with people on their intellectual level. I have to say, the smartest people I know (including one I feel pretty sure is genius-level smart) are all very nice. (They did all get sufficient intellectual challenge as kids, including a couple who went to special schools for gifted children).

ora_43

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 4:31 pm
And thanks for sharing the show Smile.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 4:44 pm
ora_43 wrote:
And thanks for sharing the show Smile.

Something I forgot to mention, is that of course my view would be very skewed, because of course nobody is going to do a YouTube series about mean people with disabilities!

These shows are really lovely though, and they make me happy. I hope they make other people happy, especially if they have SN people in their lives.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)