Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Cant decide . Can u vote for me if yes or no?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 5:00 pm
I keep thinking to watch the movie from unorthodox (df) im just scared it will make me angry . Is it worth it or not? Do u find it interesting , intertaining or not? Whats everyone's perspective? Will it just add unnecessary bad feelings to watch? I can see it will make me angry and wanna shout out loud.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 5:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I keep thinking to watch the movie from unorthodox (df) im just scared it will make me angry . Is it worth it or not? Do u find it interesting , intertaining or not? Whats everyone's perspective? Will it just add unnecessary bad feelings to watch? I can see it will make me angry and wanna shout out loud.

I'm not watching it because I know that it's an inaccurate description of chassidish life and they're giving the wrong picture to the world. This makes me angry.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 5:02 pm
I didn't watch it and not planning to. Whoever watched it and reviewed it kind of felt like they wasted their time.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 5:16 pm
I watched it and it brought out no emotion but a bit of derision on how terribly inaccurate the portrayal is. It is not even remotely similar to my (Hasidic Satmar Williamsburg) life

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 6:15 pm
How can we decide these things for you? We don't know you.
The best we could even offer is whether we watched it or not? Why we did or didn't? And what we thought. It is only you can decide for yourself

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 6:17 pm
you can watch it & regret it later lol ... that is what entertainment is about

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 6:19 pm
I watched it and it brought out a lot of buried emotions about my younger self. Some things were painfully real and heartbreaking to watch. Very disturbing

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 6:20 pm
I'm not watching it, based on reviews.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 6:22 pm
I didn't see the movie and can't speak for the film itself, but did read the book. While I felt sorry for her difficult experiences growing up, I felt that she had an axe to grind and was taking great pleasure in grinding it. Writing the book may have been cathartic for her, but she could have experienced the same catharsis from writing a private journal and talking to a shrink. She seemed to take malicious pleasure in bashing her former community and embarrassing her family. Even if they deserved humiliation for the way they treated her, her glee in dishing it out neutralized some of my sympathy.
I'm not Chassidish so I can't address how faithful or unfaithful a portrait she paints of the community.

icebreaker

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 6:24 pm
I watched it. I thought it was pretty boring, honestly. Shira is a great actress but this show just didn’t do it for me. I have no opinion about the Chassidish parts, but to me, the show was boring.

das

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 7:16 pm
I signed up for a Netflix trial just to see it. The script was terrible, the characters one dimensional, it was all around really boring. I couldn't get through it.

giselle

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 7:28 pm
Based on the reviews on imamother, it's not pulling me at all.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 7:47 pm
I watched it. It’s a time killer. Extremely boring and very not accurate information. I hated it. No point to watch. It’s not interesting and not accurate.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 9:38 pm
I guess I’m the only one who enjoyed it here. 🤷‍♀️

tigerwife

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 9:52 pm
I didn’t watch it but it sounds very upsetting, why would I do it to myself?

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 10:13 pm
I watched it the beginning was interesting and good and even funny. Later and became really disturbing and really a zexual problem about the couple that was pretty disgusting to watch. It was also very unrealistic at the end. Overall it was pretty entertaining but not great at all.if you don’t want to see disturbing inappropriate stuff than don’t watch it.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 10:28 pm
Just watching the trailer had me blech!

Which woman runs around the streets with a shaven head? So disturbing to portray it like this.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 10:36 pm
This isn't a documentary nor is it attempting to be anything other than one woman's *fictionalized* story.

I find it a bit strange that people are quibbling so much about whether or not details are completely accurate. Anyone with any familiarity with ANY kind of lifestyle or profession knows that a movie or television series doesn't get every detail right. I work in a profession that is widely used in movies and television and I generally just roll my eyes at the inaccuracies and go along for the ride. On the other thread there were extensive posts on whether the Yiddish accent is absolutely accurate as if actors who speak foreign dialects in other movies get it 100% right. There are loads of English/Australian actors in US entertainment and you can hear them slip if you listen carefully. Some more and some less - Meryl Streep was known as.a prodigy because her accent was considered to be so completely accurate in Sophie's choice.

People view their past through the prism of their own perceptions. Any psychologist realizes that a *client* is recalling events as they were perceived by the client. Other people in one's personal dramas would have their own emotional truths.

Hillery

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 10:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I didn't watch it because every second of it is a chilul Hashem and I don't want to be part of that. It is a series created by reshoim to celebrate the rishus of another rasha, and to mock Hashem, His torah and His people. So my vote is no.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 10:40 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Just watching the trailer had me blech!

Which woman runs around the streets with a shaven head? So disturbing to portray it like this.

She laughingly told her husband that people found it stylish in Berlin Very Happy
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics