Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Unemployment more than Salary - Not Worth to Work

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 4:35 pm
I work for a very small business in the financial sector. Work is falling behind and they badly need me in the office. Issue is that I would earn more claiming unemployment than working. Additionally, I need to pay babysitting in order to work. I feel bad for them - their bank messed them up and they didn't get the PPP loan. I don't think they can pay me more. I do have health insurance with them and I would like to have a job when this is all over. What would you do?

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 4:36 pm
If you want to have a job when this is over then you need to go to work. They will hire someone else and unemployment runs out.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 4:43 pm
Also, can't they tell the government that you did indeed have a job and were not fired? Unless you need to be home to care for your kids etc, you legally can't just leave the job and claim unemployment; you need to be fired.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 4:45 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Also, can't they tell the government that you did indeed have a job and were not fired? Unless you need to be home to care for your kids etc, you legally can't just leave the job and claim unemployment; you need to be fired.

My state doesn't require you to be fired. Having kids at home is enough to file. (I claimed over Pesach). Every state is different. I am not in NY or NJ

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 4:55 pm
Op, I hear you. It's an incredibly tricky situation.

I was reading a story this morning about a woman who has a business with 35 employees. She laid everyone off a few weeks ago. Her business was allowed to reopen recently so she told them all that they can come to work again. Most of her employees were angry because they had a great deal going where they were making the same amount of money just sitting home being unemployed.

It's a crazy flaw in the system that is paying people in some cases more money to stay home than they made working.

Anyone interested in reading the story, the business owners name is Jamie Lewis and she owns a salon.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 5:33 pm
Not paying unemployment is a big reason certain governors are pushing to reopen against the advice of public health experts.

Sure, you can tell hairdressers and tattoo artists that they must go back to work or else. Who cares if it means endangering their lives and their customers. (The customer at least has a choice to go to a salon or not. What choice does the employee have?)

itsmeima

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 9:02 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Op, I hear you. It's an incredibly tricky situation.

I was reading a story this morning about a woman who has a business with 35 employees. She laid everyone off a few weeks ago. Her business was allowed to reopen recently so she told them all that they can come to work again. Most of her employees were angry because they had a great deal going where they were making the same amount of money just sitting home being unemployed.

It's a crazy flaw in the system that is paying people in some cases more money to stay home than they made working.

Anyone interested in reading the story, the business owners name is Jamie Lewis and she owns a salon.

What bothers me a lot more is that these workers are being paid so little!

If she would have valued her employees, paid them what they deserved this wouldn't have happened!

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 9:07 pm
itsmeima wrote:
What bothers me a lot more is that these workers are being paid so little!

If she would have valued her employees, paid them what they deserved this wouldn't have happened!

What do you mean?

Maybe had she paid them more she'd be broke and out of business.

Either way that's the business works. The owner reaps the benefit because they are taking on the risk. Who will be saddled with debt if the business goes bankrupt like many small businesses do?

Workers are always free to go elsewhere where they can make more more money.

small bean

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 9:25 pm
I'm having this issue also. I didn't lay wnyone off but the rules are you can leave if your concerned for your health. Many people left because of the new unemployment rules. We are understaffed and have been hiring, most people that are coming are those not eligible for unemployment or don'thave the liberty of waiting for benefits.

It's a 7 day a week job, so please don't ask me wherr to apply...

small bean

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 9:26 pm
I'm having this issue also. I didn't lay wnyone off but the rules are you can leave if your concerned for your health. Many people left because of the new unemployment rules. We are understaffed and have been hiring, most people that are coming are those not eligible for unemployment or don'thave the liberty of waiting for benefits.

It's a 7 day a week job, so please don't ask me wherr to apply...

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 7:24 am
OP, is health insurance offered by your husbands work?

Second: once corona is over you make sure to ask for a *nice* raise or other benefits.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 7:37 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Either way that's the business works. The owner reaps the benefit because they are taking on the risk. Who will be saddled with debt if the business goes bankrupt like many small businesses do?

In a country that has limited liability? The creditors.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 7:50 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
In a country that has limited liability? The creditors.

True, but many people don't want to default because it will crush their credit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics