Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Why are Williamsburg people calling & hanging up?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 2:47 pm
This is the weirdest thing. I keep getting a million calls, all from Williamsburg phone numbers and frum names and they hang up when I answer! I got it in middle of the night, early morning, etc. Finally I called back some of them, and a few times a chassidish sounding man answers and when I ask why his number keeps calling me and hanging up, he says oh maybe it was my baby playing with the phone! How can this happen over and over from different numbers, different names, and they all just happen to call MY number when they’re playing around? Anyone else get this?

Stars

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 2:52 pm
Is your number similar to hatzalah?

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 2:53 pm
Stop answering.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 3:00 pm
Stars wrote:
Is your number similar to hatzalah?

Not at all.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 3:00 pm
watergirl wrote:
Stop answering.

That doesn’t help, the ringing wakes me up sometimes late at night and early morning,

amother
Black

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 3:20 pm
Funny, my parents once bought a car from an acquaintance in Mill Basin or Marine Park.

(The are friendly and keep in touch with him from childhood.) The next few nights he called with funny sounding sounds and they chalked it up to eccentric behavior of his.

My parents called him an old soul, even a higher soul that suffered a severe head injury as a teen.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 3:28 pm
Maybe it's a robo call. I've gotten robo calls from local names and numbers.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 3:31 pm
I don't know the term for it but many telemarketers use numbers that they profiled and sort of know you'll answer the phone on. Prob something like that going on.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 3:35 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
I don't know the term for it but many telemarketers use numbers that they profiled and sort of know you'll answer the phone on. Prob something like that going on.

This. I constantly get robo calls from heimish names and familiar looking numbers. Sometimes it's just quiet sometimes it's a recording shouting in my ear.
I promptly block the numbers but I'm pretty sure if I'd call those numbers back they would belong to regular households not robo call companies.
There's a way for the companies to manipulate the number that shows up on your caller id.

my mama

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 3:45 pm
It's called spoofing. They use a number similar to yours to try to get you to pick up the phone. I constantly have people calling to ask why I called them. My phone number must be really popular with these telemarketers.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 3:52 pm
If your phone line is relatively new for you, it may have recently belonged to a popular store or service and people still call the old number (which is now yours). You can change your number.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 3:54 pm
Or maybe you have a similar number to a hotline or teleconference.
There was a thread in the winter a women was complaining that her phone number is similar to a yeshiva's hotline number and she was getting calls at all hours.

paintbrush

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 4:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That doesn’t help, the ringing wakes me up sometimes late at night and early morning,

Can you shut your ringer off when you go to sleep? If it’s on your cell phone you can shut ringer off but allow certain callers

solo

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 4:50 pm
I once got lots of angry messages on my phone over shabbos. And then my aunt called cuz she was worried my number had showed up on her caller I’d on shabbos. Someone had pirated my number for telemarking!

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 5:47 pm
I moved to a different area code 19 years ago and got a new tel number.

For the first 10! years I got calls looking for Virginia Gerard....

amother
White

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 9:39 pm
asmileaday wrote:
This. I constantly get robo calls from heimish names and familiar looking numbers. Sometimes it's just quiet sometimes it's a recording shouting in my ear.
I promptly block the numbers but I'm pretty sure if I'd call those numbers back they would belong to regular households not robo call companies.
There's a way for the companies to manipulate the number that shows up on your caller id.

It doesn't work that way. Try calling back and you'll most likely hear the recording. They don't use active, residential numbers.
OP, I'm assuming, like other posters mentioned, that there must be a mixup.
Or maybe you're a teacher and are getting prank calls from bored kids? Rolling Eyes

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 9:57 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
It doesn't work that way. Try calling back and you'll most likely hear the recording. They don't use active, residential numbers.
OP, I'm assuming, like other posters mentioned, that there must be a mixup.
Or maybe you're a teacher and are getting prank calls from bored kids? Rolling Eyes

They sometimes do use active residential numbers. My number was once used in that way. I got a few calls in a short period of tome with people saying they missed a call from my number, all approx the same time, but my phone had been sitting on my counter for a while and no one had touched it. One person said he got a prerecorded telemarketing message from my number on his answering machine and was calling back to get removed from the list.
It BH never happened again.

CiCi

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 10:38 pm
I used to receive calls from scammers. The ID showed heimishe names and local numbers but the people on the other line had Indian accents! I was puzzled about this until I read about the pirating of phone numbers.

I also used to receive these calls where people hung up after I said "hello". I could never figure out the point of these calls. The phone number on the ID does not necessarily mean that the calls were placed from that number.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 11:08 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I moved to a different area code 19 years ago and got a new tel number.

For the first 10! years I got calls looking for Virginia Gerard....

Have had my # for 15 years or so, and before that, it was another family member's. I still get calls for someone else. One woman called me and left a message wondering if I'd be picking her up for her cardiology appointment. I hope she made it! Surprised

singleagain

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 5:53 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Have had my # for 15 years or so, and before that, it was another family member's. I still get calls for someone else. One woman called me and left a message wondering if I'd be picking her up for her cardiology appointment. I hope she made it! Surprised

This reminds me my sister used to get calls for a doctor's office. I don't remember if she just started making appointments for people or what she said.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette