Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Burn Blister on finger

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 8:18 pm
My 2 year old touched a hot radiator today and burnt his finger. There’s a blister on it. He doesn’t seem to be in pain except for when he touches something with the finger. I tried putting a potato peel and other remedies on it but he won’t allow me to bandage it even.

Is it something that needs to be seen by a doctor? I’m hesitant to go to the doctor’s office unless absolutely necessary.

Reality

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 8:25 pm
Let him play with the cold water!! If he tolerates it, try to keep the burn area submerged in cold water as long as possible.

Cold water is the best thing for a burn. Also do not cover it! Burns need air to heal.

lilies

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 8:27 pm
Why not call the doctor and ask? Burns are no joke.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 8:30 pm
Call the pediatrician to get a prescription for silvadene cream. Also have the pharmacy delivery antibiotic bandaids. They really help prevent infection. Even if you only manage to put it on when your toddler is already asleep.

Also your doctor may have a portal for you to send pictures so they have a clearer idea on how to treat remotely.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 8:35 pm
The concern with burns are with getting infected. And, some burns, if not treated can get worse. Like, progress from a first degree to a second degree. I'd call a doctor and ask. Better safe than sorry.
Btw, I'd never do home remedies on more than a slight burn. Never on anything that has already blistered. Never!

mp5

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 11:48 pm
Reality wrote:
Let him play with the cold water!! If he tolerates it, try to keep the burn area submerged in cold water as long as possible.

Cold water is the best thing for a burn. Also do not cover it! Burns need air to heal.

Great idea to let him play with water - there are lots of fun water activities you can easily do with a two year old ranging from a basin of water and toys to a bath.
Just to point out that it is better not to use cold water but closer to lukewarm, as very cold water can cause further damage to the tissues.

As for covering it - if he won't let you bandage it (and medically I would, unless very small, to ) that's ok as long as it hasn't burst. When it does, you want to keep it clean and wrapped in a sterile dressing to prevent infection, best with burn cream.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics