Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Has anyone had the free kosher DOE meals?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:00 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
It's worth the wait if you truly need it. And, if your kids would otherwise go hungry, they wouldn't be complaining, either. So, it sounds like that isn't really the case for you....

This does not answer my question. My mother taught me something when I was really young. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it."
Anyway, who are you to decide if we do or don't need it?!?! I was not complaining about the food or the lines. On Friday we waited for over an hour, shivering in the rain. How many people who don't actually need the food would do that? I was just asking what is on the menu so I can decide if it will be a waste of time or food to go. I don't need food sitting uneaten in my fridge if it could feed someone else who will eat it. If they serve hummus again, I will have to figure out something else to serve to more than half of my family anyway, so there is no point in wasting the time or the food doing that. Many children (or at least the pickier ones of mine) would not eat something if they already set their mind to it. They had a roll and hummus for lunch for 3 days already. Yes, my preschooler might skip eating lunch rather than eating hummus again. And he is an underweight, picky eater who needs to be pushed to eat on a regular basis. He hasn't gained any weight at all since November. The younger one likes copying what the preschooler does, so she may not eat it either if the preschooler is dramatic enough about it.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:04 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
It's worth the wait if you truly need it. And, if your kids would otherwise go hungry, they wouldn't be complaining, either. So, it sounds like that isn't really the case for you....

People need to stop saying this. This theory, that if a child is truly hungry they will eat anything, has been debunked. It's just not true. Maybe it is for kids who literally have not eaten in days, but you don't have to be THAT starving to be deserving of these meals. People are hurting financially. They are strapped for time and cash. These meals are supposed to help with that. As I said upthread, I personally am not collecting them so I'm not 'complaining' exactly. It's just irking me that people have hungry kids at home and they're being told that they don't have the right to complain because they clearly aren't 'in need' enough.

I know here on this site people believe that if someone gives you so much as a dirty lollipop off the floor you take it and don't complain. But these are meals that people are entitled to, they are paying for with every paycheck, and it is absolutely reasonable to expect that they should be edible. A cardboard roll with hummus doesn't cut the mustard, I'm sorry.

And what really gets me, if that if I came on here and posted a thread about my cleaning help, and asked "I've been serving my cleaning lady breakfast and lunch every day and she is complaining about it. I'm giving her a stale muffin, plain yogurt, and an apple for breakfast, and for lunch it's been a roll and hummus" people would jump to tell me that she deserves at least *some* variety, that I could put a bit more effort into it. I would probably be told I'm a horrible employer.

Sometimes I think people post these knee jerk 'stop whining you entitled brat' responses just to collect the immediate 25 sanctimonious likes.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:15 am
groovy1224 wrote:
People need to stop saying this. This theory, that if a child is truly hungry they will eat anything, has been debunked. It's just not true. Maybe it is for kids who literally have not eaten in days, but you don't have to be THAT starving to be deserving of these meals. People are hurting financially. They are strapped for time and cash. These meals are supposed to help with that. As I said upthread, I personally am not collecting them so I'm not 'complaining' exactly. It's just irking me that people have hungry kids at home and they're being told that they don't have the right to complain because they clearly aren't 'in need' enough.

I know here on this site people believe that if someone gives you so much as a dirty lollipop off the floor you take it and don't complain. But these are meals that people are entitled to, they are paying for with every paycheck, and it is absolutely reasonable to expect that they should be edible. A cardboard roll with hummus doesn't cut the mustard, I'm sorry.

And what really gets me, if that if I came on here and posted a thread about my cleaning help, and asked "I've been serving my cleaning lady breakfast and lunch every day and she is complaining about it. I'm giving her a stale muffin, plain yogurt, and an apple for breakfast, and for lunch it's been a roll and hummus" people would jump to tell me that she deserves at least *some* variety, that I could put a bit more effort into it. I would probably be told I'm a horrible employer.

Sometimes I think people post these knee jerk 'stop whining you entitled brat' responses just to collect the immediate 25 sanctimonious likes.

You don’t have to be ANY starving to be able to get these meals. The purpose it to make sure everyone has something to eat, but they are NOT only for people who are starving. The website says EVERYONE and that means EVERYONE.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:19 am
Did anyone pick up food today? Is it the same food, or different?
Thanks.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:19 am
Sure it's for everyone. But it's not a takeout with a menu. If your kids don't like it or won't eat it, don't waste your time schlepping out. They serve what they serve. And (regardless of it being financed by tax $) it is free and it is quite tacky and entitled to complain about free stuff not being good enough.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:22 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Sure it's for everyone. But it's not a takeout with a menu. If your kids don't like it or won't eat it, don't waste your time schlepping out. They serve what they serve. And (regardless of it being financed by tax $) it is free and it is quite tacky and entitled to complain about free stuff not being good enough.

You don't know what it is until after you've waited in line. There is a menu online for the non kosher meals, not the kosher ones. And some would say it's tacky to anonymously insult people who are struggling and frustrated.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:51 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

That's exactly why I was asking what is on the menu. But you had a problem with my asking. So make up your mind before you say mean stuff to people.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:55 am
It's one thing to ask in a matter of fact way. It's another to ask in a way that puts down the offerings in a negative way. There have been numerous posts like that and yes it comes across as very entitled. Especially since by now I think people know the menu by heart, if it's been the same 4 days in s row unlikely they have suddenly upgraded to an "exciting" sandwich. I think many posts here are just looking to provoke a reaction actually so they have something else to be annoyed by.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:56 am
The on line menu for non kosher doesn’t specify what kind of sandwich so there would still be issues if people didn’t like particular choices. The non kosher sandwiches are not going to be equivalent to a good sandwich you make or might buy. LOL Anyone familiar with the kind of foods given knows that. LOL

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 11:09 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
It's one thing to ask in a matter of fact way. It's another to ask in a way that puts down the offerings in a negative way. There have been numerous posts like that and yes it comes across as very entitled. Especially since by now I think people know the menu by heart, if it's been the same 4 days in s row unlikely they have suddenly upgraded to an "exciting" sandwich. I think many posts here are just looking to provoke a reaction actually so they have something else to be annoyed by.

Reread my post. What part of it came across as entitled?
And I didn't ask about an exciting sandwich. I asked if it will be the exact same. It makes sense that the first few days they served the same things to save time as they were trying to get this off the ground. Now that they've had a few more days to see how it's working and to plan things out better, they may be able to prepare different things and serve the same things every second or third day.

Goldie613

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 1:07 am
I know last week a lot of people said they ran out of food early. Now that they probably have a better handle on how many people are coming, can someone tell us if that part was better this week?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 6:45 am
Do they have enough kosher meals for everyone by 18&47?
Are the lines still crazy long?
What food do they give?
My kids are picky- is it worth going??

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 8:46 am
Anyone went yet today? Was it the same food as all the other days?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 9:06 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Anyone went yet today? Was it the same food as all the other days?

Today’s breakfast in Far rockaway was yogurt, milk, an apple, and either granola or cereal.
Lunch was a tuna sandwich, and I don’t know what else.
The not officially kosher breakfast at the public school across from my house was either yogurt, croissant, apple juice, and chocolate milk, OR 2 bags of pretzels, 2 containers of chumus (2oz each) apple juice, and chocolate milk.
All of the above meal options were fully kosher.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 9:15 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
Today’s breakfast in Far rockaway was yogurt, milk, an apple, and either granola or cereal.
The not officially kosher breakfast at the public school across from my house was either yogurt, croissant, apple juice, and chocolate milk, OR 2 bags of pretzels, 2 containers of chumus (2oz each) apple juice, and chocolate milk.

Thanks that’s so helpful

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 11:51 pm
18/47 line was short around 9:30
Breakfast was plain yogurt, bag of granola, apple milk
Lunch, sm ww roll, 3 cherry tomatoes, small cup tuv taam tuna, apple milk
You can ask for as many as you want
For adults and children
For adults they offered 2
I came home with 14 milks and 14 apples for a family of 3 kids and 2 adults!
You can’t open or chose. They are sealed brown bags

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 11:04 am
Ema of 4 wrote:

Hi! I went today to a local public school and this was breakfast, thanks. My question is about the croissants, they don’t have any label.. how did u know that they are kosher?

Goldie613

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 12:25 pm
Has anyone been to the Queens locations? How early do they usually run out? Thanks

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 12:59 pm
I went to the public school on east 22nd in midwood on fri, mon and tues and breakfast and lunch was the same every day. Breakfast was a small muffin, small plain yogurt, apple and milk. Lunch was a small whole wheat roll, small container of chummus, three cherry tomatoes, apple and milk. Does anyone know if the menu is going to change or is going to be the same every day? I'm not complaining at all, just asking for information.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:01 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Hi! I went today to a local public school and this was breakfast, thanks. My question is about the croissants, they don’t have any label.. how did u know that they are kosher?

The kosher lunches have a seal with a kashrus symbol on the outside of the package, so I think the muffin is under that kashrus org. I dont know about the non-kosher lunches. I think one can assume that they are NOT kosher.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics