Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What foods do/don't freeze well?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 10:34 am
you can freeze many cookie doughs, but I've never tried freezing cake batters. the cookies dough lasts a few months.
a have a friend who preps her chicken w/ the sauce and everything and then freezes.
I think my sister freezes quiches.
and my sis-in-law freezes raw pies- (like blackberry pie when she picks her own blackberries)
I've also frozen carrot/pumpkin muffins (or kugel), and once a brocolli noodle kugel. these were only for a few weeks and tasted same as usual.
meatballs, stuffed cabbage freeze well for quite a few months.
(I even know someone who freezes leftover cholent shock - NO, NOT ME!!!- and supplements with fresh stuff the next time she makes it)
my mil froze a fruit soup for a year and it was DELISH!!!

queen

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 12:03 pm
I agree with 613-
cookie batters freeze great. but I'd be weary to freeze a cake batter!!!

suomynona

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 1:57 am
Any reason not to refreeze hot dogs? I have hot dogs that were frozen & then defrosted. Now I want to use them to make franks in blanks for yom tov & freeze them. I plan on baking them before freezing, if that makes a difference.

sarahd

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 2:24 am
It does make a difference. I wouldn't refreeze raw meats once defrosted, but once they've been cooked it's okay.

suomynona

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 5:10 am
Are hot dogs raw to begin with?
I thought they were similar to cold cuts & technically can be eaten straight from the package, though I don't know anyone who does that.

supermom

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 7:44 am
officially they can be eaten straight from the package though I think it is gross my opinion I would feel like I am eating raw meat even though it is not.

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 10:16 am
wow! I never knew you *could* eat hotdogs "raw!" (I don't think I'll try it anytime soon, though).
in nechama greismans article she says that it's okay to defrost then refreeze as long as the food stayed cold the whole time.
I've never done it, so I don't know.

sarahd

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 11:07 am
You're right! Hot dogs are cooked, otherwise they'd just collapse into a bunch of meat and stuff when you removed the casing to cook them. I had forgotten that. But I think it's still okay to refreeze them.

mommy2

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 5:19 pm
keep in mind that frost free freezers keep food good for 3 months and freezers that u have to deice the food lasts a yr. (although ppl will say the food acually stays good longer in both freezers)

supermom

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 12:22 am
anyone know of a good recipe using graham cracker crust that stays as a nice dessert in the freezer?

sarahd

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 1:40 am
Ice cream pie. Make your favorite ice cream and pour into a crust, cover with chocolate sauce.

supermom

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 2:02 am
sounds good but my kids like it better on a cone.

adorable

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 8:29 am
does homemade babaganush/ chatzilim/ mayonaise eggplant freeze well?
I have so much left over from shabbos, I would hate to throw and we broiled again next week.

supermom

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 9:26 am
actually it freezes well and tastes the same although it doesn't look the same after it is frozen.

RedVines

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 9:58 am
How would you freeze the braided challah dough (not yet baked) in tin foil-twice? Plastic baggies? Not sure>?

supermom

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 10:46 am
I freeze them in plastic bags. tinfoil would give it a freezer taste in my opinion.

RedVines

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 10:58 am
Thanks...Two?

supermom

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 11:06 am
I try to stay away from storing anything straight in tin foil in the freezer. in some way storing dough that is already shaped should be easier to store it in the freezer with bags since it won't get messed up when putting it in a bag than tinfoil

m&m

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 11:13 am
You can freeze it on the tin foil pan. After a couple of hours, it will be frozen so you can transfer it to a bag and pile them and they wont lose their shape.

shanie5

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 11:21 am
once shaped, I put it in the freezer on a cookie sheet till frozen. then bag it
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen