Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
SD laws in NYC private house
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 10:15 am
What is the actual law in NYC of social distance in a private home? Is it illegal to go into someone else’s home? IS there a limit of people allowed in a home?
I want actual laws not moral obligations.
Thanks

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 10:20 am
There are no laws

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 10:23 am
How about hiring a sitter? Legal?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 10:32 am
doodlesmom wrote:
How about hiring a sitter? Legal?

Yes. They can’t prevent you from allowing people into your own private home. That would violate like 3 Constitutional amendments.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 10:34 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Yes. They can’t prevent you from allowing people into your own private home. That would violate like 3 Constitutional amendments.

I’m glad to hear this. People are screaming so much, I actually thought it might be illegal to have my cleaning lady come. Not that she’s agreed to come....
But maybe I can convince her.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 10:37 am
Some buildings in NYC are not allowing tenants to have visitors, or housekeepers.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 10:40 am
So it’s not illegal for my kids to have friends over then. Good.

Not that this was my original question but now I’m wondering is it illegal to pray in a private house with others?

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 10:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So it’s not illegal for my kids to have friends over then. Good.

Not that this was my original question but now I’m wondering is it illegal to pray in a private house with others?

You can do whatever you want in small groups in your home, just make sure the thing you do is not called minyan, wedding or small cheder groups. Anything tagged religious is assur. Example, balcony concerts, novel idea. Balcony minyan, retzichah.

Go figure.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 11:01 am
My husband sat shiva and we did not allow any visitors.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 11:02 am
So how can you get a citation for having 10 ppl in someone’s house for a wedding.
Or even a chassan at kallah house for a l’chaim. Parents were even charged with child endangerment. All other guests were in their own cars not in home
Or widow in ny given situation because kids were on front lawn before funeral.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 11:03 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
My husband sat shiva and we did not allow any visitors.

So sorry for your loss. Sad

Did he get to sit with his family?

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 11:05 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
So how can you get a citation for having 10 ppl in someone’s house for a wedding.
Or even a chassan at kallah house for a l’chaim. Parents were even charged with child endangerment. All other guests were in their own cars not in home
Or widow in ny given situation because kids were on front lawn before funeral.

Were all of these situations where there were truly only 10 people or less? Not even one extra person?

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 11:05 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
You can do whatever you want in small groups in your home, just make sure the thing you do is not called minyan, wedding or small cheder groups. Anything tagged religious is assur. Example, balcony concerts, novel idea. Balcony minyan, retzichah.

Go figure.

Lets keep the perspective that the origin of the 'retzichah' terminology is from the Rebbeim, not imamothers.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 11:10 am

Go figure.

That’s not quite it, but ok.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 11:11 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Lets keep the perspective that the origin of the 'retzichah' terminology is from the Rebbeim, not imamothers.

I hereby invite you to reread all threads on coronavirus on imamother to see you are in the wrong... The harsh words here are unbelievable, down to one that still rings in my ears "I'm embaressed to share a religion with you". The rabbis said rodfim, imamothers took it up a notch.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 11:17 am
I hereby invite you to reread all threads on coronavirus on imamother to see you are in the wrong... The harsh words here are unbelievable, down to one that still rings in my ears "I'm embaressed to share a religion with you". The rabbis said rodfim, imamothers took it up a notch.

You are correct - I'm conflating the two words - both are extremely harsh.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 11:22 am
IS there a legal limit of 10 people gathering inside a private house or not?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 11:23 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Were all of these situations where there were truly only 10 people or less? Not even one extra person?

It seems numbers should t matter in a private house per previous poster.

tweety1

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 11:24 am

Go figure.

This! My dh passed 2 parks in NYC and snapped a picture to show me what's going on. But minyan is retzichah and gets mesirah.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 11:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
IS there a legal limit of 10 people gathering inside a private house or not?

Non-essential gatherings of individuals of any size for any reason (e.g. parties, celebrations or other social events) are canceled or postponed at this time;

per the NY executive order.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics