Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Manners: cleaning a bath/shower after use

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 2:23 am
Do you do and or feel that one should always clean up the bathtub or shower after use? (From hairs etc)
I already do but seems like some don't think it's important to clean up after the shower.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 3:03 am
Yes, I absolutely think so and I do this, but apparently many people do not, including people who live in my home.

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 4:22 am
I don’t understand why this is a question. What are you, three years old? You clean up after yourself no matter what you do, whether it’s taking a shower or having a cup of coffee on the kitchen table. Who is else is going to clean it if you don’t?

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 4:30 am
I think OP's question is not whether or not it is good manners to clean up after yourself, including removing hair from shower drains.

The question is, "How do I convince my children/best friend/spouse to do this as well?"

Modeling good behavior, and pointing it out, is a good start. "I used the baby wipes on the counter to clean out the bathroom drain so it will be clean for you to take your shower, DS." Mentioning how much it means to you is also helpful, "I was so glad I took the time to clean the shower last night, it was a pleasure to take a shower in a clean tub today." Sincere compliments, of course, if someone decides to try it, "Wow, DS, I so appreciated you cleaning up after your shower! It was so nice to come into a spotless bathroom like that."

Beyond that, it may end up being an ongoing issue, along with the socks-on-the-floor, open toothpaste tube, and toilet seat left up. Keep trying to instill good manners and etiquette, but don't take it too personally if the learning process takes a long time.

twizzlers1

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 4:32 am
Oh my gosh that's so funny. We just had that discussion in my house yesterday. my older son who's not usually home came home and felt the shower was too dirty when he was probably right. I think he was able to convince the other kids to keep it cleaner. If everyone takes 2 minutes after the shower to clean it I will not have to scrub it for half an hour.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 6:15 am
Hair can big time clog drains

amother
Red

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 7:32 am
I think there is a misunderstand what clean means:

- remove hair and debris after shower
- clean up soap and shower bottles you used
- wipe down shower walls and tub after shower

I grew up doing 1-2. We had a cleaning lady for 3.

In DHs family you sprayed shower after and there was a sponge to wipe it down. This was very new to me. Everyone did it after showering.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 9:01 am
I guess we're heathens since we clean the shower well once a week... Yes there is an expectation of organization (put bottles back in the right place etc) but it's not sprayed and wiped down after every use.

In any case it's not good to spray after you shower-- then any chemical residue is on your body! The instructions usually say to change your clothes after cleaning to avoid this. When we clean, we scrub/wipe the shower down and then hop in!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 9:19 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I think there is a misunderstand what clean means:

- remove hair and debris after shower
- clean up soap and shower bottles you used
- wipe down shower walls and tub after shower

I grew up doing 1-2. We had a cleaning lady for 3.

In DHs family you sprayed shower after and there was a sponge to wipe it down. This was very new to me. Everyone did it after showering.

Op here

Tx for clarifying that.

I really mean just #1

Take hairs out of drain and those few left on the side of bathtub etc

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 12:32 pm
Who wants to shower standing on someone else's hair? I would much rather have someone leave a used cup on the table

Amarante

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 12:38 pm
Who are these "some people" and how old are they?

People above a certain age should make sure they don't leave visible stuff in the shower after use. They should remove hair although I wouldn't expect them to lift off the drain cover to remove hair from the "hair catcher". They should take wet washcloths and hang them where they are supposed to go to dry in anticipation of being laundered.

They should leave bottles neat and should probably also make sure communal supplies aren't left empty.

If there is a glass shower enclosure it should be hosed down with the hand held from any splotches of shampoo or other hair product. Some people squeegee after every use but my enclosure has Showerguard so it only needs to be hosed down.

I don't think one needs to scrub down the shower floor or tile shower walls every time one takes a shower. A bath is a different thing since one doesn't want to sit in a bathtub that hasn't been cleaned but only drained - that is kind of a disgusting idea.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette