Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
A warning for the young and healthy
1  2  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:19 am
http://www.israelnationalnews......gn=nl

Seven-fold increase in stroke rates among young COVID-19 victims

Younger coronavirus patients with no medical history are suffering stroke at alarming rates, doctors warn.

Younger individuals with asymptomatic or mild cases of coronavirus have been suffering an increasing number of fatal strokes after contracting the disease, doctors are warning.

The victims are mostly otherwise healthy individuals in their 30s and 40s.

Speaking to CNN, Dr. Thomas Oxley,a neurosurgeon at New York's Mount Sinai Health System, said that coronavirus "seems to be causing increased clotting in the large arteries, leading to severe stroke" and that all of the recent cases involve people under 50 with either mild or no symptoms of COVID-19.

"Our report shows a seven-fold increase in incidence of sudden stroke in young patients during the past two weeks. Most of these patients have no past medical history and were at home with either mild symptoms - or in two cases, no symptoms - of COVID.

"All tested positive. Two of them delayed calling an ambulance."

Over the previous 12 months, Mount Sinai treated an average of 0.73 patients under the age of 50 every two weeks for large vessel stroke, the research team wrote in a letter which will be published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Previously, reports originating in Wuhan, China, hinted at a possible link between coronavirus and stroke. However, most of the patients in those cases were elderly.

The new report includes cases from three different medical centers in the US, leading researchers to suspect that coronavirus may cause more health issues than previously assumed.

Robert Stevens, a critical care doctor at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, said that his center has had patients "in their 30s with stroke and COVID," which he called "extremely surprising" since that age group is at lowest risk of blood clots in general, the Washington Post noted.

And NBC News quoted Dr. Mark Crowther, chairman of the Department of Medicine at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, and a member of the American Society of Hematology: "We're used to patients that are critically ill having a high frequency of blood clots. But nowhere near the magnitude that we're seeing in COVID patients."

COVID-19 patients generally do not respond as well as others to anti-coagulation medications, pulmonologist Hugh Cassiere told NBC.

The site also noted a study from the Netherlands which studied data on 184 ICU patients who tested positive for COVID-19. In that study, nearly one-third of the patients had blood clots - a "remarkably high" number for ICU patients in general.

flmommy

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:28 am
So scary!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 11:00 am
So basically, coronavirus can affect the lungs, the kidneys, the liver, the heart, and cause blood clots. In any age. It's insidious. It's contagious. Having it doesn't mean you're immune. So we're all doomed. Chas v'shalom. this is nuts.

tweek

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 11:46 am
While these findings are scary, I don't think they mean doomsday. I think it's important for those that think that they are invincible or that the virus can't affect them to be aware to still take all suggested precautions.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 12:04 pm
tweek wrote:
While these findings are scary, I don't think they mean doomsday. I think it's important for those that think that they are invincible or that the virus can't affect them to be aware to still take all suggested precautions.

Exactly. The article says that stroke cases in people under 50 are up 7 times. But for example the hospital in the article only takes in .73 such patients every 2 weeks. That amounts to 18 patients a year. Multiply that by 7 and we get 126 such patients a year.

CiCi

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 12:08 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
So basically, coronavirus can affect the lungs, the kidneys, the liver, the heart, and cause blood clots. In any age. It's insidious. It's contagious. Having it doesn't mean you're immune. So we're all doomed. Chas v'shalom. this is nuts.

Why do you say that having it doesn't mean that we are immune? There's no conclusive study on that yet.

blessedflower

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 12:24 pm
Corona is causing all types of crazy and scary things! And this we know with limited research!

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 12:27 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Exactly. The article says that stroke cases in people under 50 are up 7 times. But for example the hospital in the article only takes in .73 such patients every 2 weeks. That amounts to 18 patients a year. Multiply that by 7 and we get 126 such patients a year.

This.

Seven times a really really small number is still a really really small number.

trixx

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 12:38 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

Yet its a completely natural virus.
Okay sure.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 12:56 pm
I've heard more than a few people here, who self identify as 30-ish or younger, and very healthy, say things like "I'll get a mild case of Corona, if I even get it. My cousin's hairdresser's dog walker had it, and he was over it in 2 days!"

I've had one TIA, and one pretty significant stroke. I'm so glad I didn't know about this a month ago, I'd be a nervous wreck!

If you fall into the "young and healthy" category and you get sick, take a capsule of Nattokinase every day. It's a natural blood thinner made from fermented soy beans. It won't mess you up the way aspirin can. (iHerb has it for really cheap.)

banana123

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 1:05 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I've heard more than a few people here, who self identify as 30-ish or younger, and very healthy, say things like "I'll get a mild case of Corona, if I even get it. My cousin's hairdresser's dog walker had it, and he was over it in 2 days!"

I've had one TIA, and one pretty significant stroke. I'm so glad I didn't know about this a month ago, I'd be a nervous wreck!

If you fall into the "young and healthy" category and you get sick, take a capsule of Nattokinase every day. It's a natural blood thinner made from fermented soy beans. It won't mess you up the way aspirin can. (iHerb has it for really cheap.)

Actually blood thinners aren't helping these patients, for some reason. Doctors aren't sure exactly why.

banana123

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 1:06 pm
trixx wrote:
Yet its a completely natural virus.
Okay sure.

Is HIV natural? Because this virus has a lot in common with that.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 1:11 pm
banana123 wrote:

Derailing my own thread, but the jury is still out on the origin of HIV. There is a pretty credible theory out there, that new vaccines are used in developing countries first "because they need them the most." Then once we know it's safe, the white people can have them.

Supposedly this vaccine used simian blood products that weren't properly processed, or something. I'm not real clear on the science behind it, but it sounded legit. A whole bunch of Africans got injected, and that's how it all started.

I've certainly heard weirder theories, and if it's not true it would make a very believable movie.

Manufactured or not, it doesn't really matter. The viral horses have escaped the barn, and we have to do everything we can to contain them.

banana123

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 1:13 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Derailing my own thread, but the jury is still out on the origin of HIV. There is a pretty credible theory out there, that new vaccines are used in developing countries first "because they need them the most." Then once we know it's safe, the white people can have them.

Supposedly this vaccine used simian blood products that weren't properly processed, or something. I'm not real clear on the science behind it, but it sounded legit. A whole bunch of Africans got injected, and that's how it all started.

I've certainly heard weirder theories, and if it's not true it would make a very believable movie.

Manufactured or not, it doesn't really matter. The viral horses have escaped the barn, and we have to do everything we can to contain them.

It's pretty accepted that HIV came over from humans who had relations with monkeys. HIV's predecessor (meaning - HIV mutated from that virus to become HIV instead of SIV, and yes it mutates very easily) is completely natural in monkeys and doesn't seem to harm them the way it harms humans.

I agree that the origin of COVID-19 doesn't really matter, though.

Last edited by banana123 on Mon, Apr 27 2020, 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 1:21 pm
banana123 wrote:
It's pretty accepted that HIV came over from humans who had relations with monkeys. HIV is completely natural in monkeys and doesn't seem to harm them the way it harms humans.

I agree that the origin of COVID-19 doesn't really matter, though.

LOL LOL LOL OMG, proof please?

You can't get within 100 feet of a wild monkey. They'll tear your eyes out and eat them for breakfast. Besides, if you can have as many wives as you want, why on earth do something so incredibly dangerous?

HIV is not natural in monkeys. SIV is natural, and they are related, but not the same thing. Cousins are not the same as twins. Mice are not the same as rats.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 1:32 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

I'm not a medical professional, but there is speculation that this is a virus that affects the blood, and all the problems it causes with other organs are a result of the way it affects the blood. This is why the standard vent settings are believed to be wrong and are only keeping alive 20% of people on vents, and might also tie in with the speculation that people with different blood types react differently to the infection.

banana123

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 1:48 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
LOL LOL LOL OMG, proof please?

You can't get within 100 feet of a wild monkey. They'll tear your eyes out and eat them for breakfast. Besides, if you can have as many wives as you want, why on earth do something so incredibly dangerous?

HIV is not natural in monkeys. SIV is natural, and they are related, but not the same thing. Cousins are not the same as twins. Mice are not the same as rats.

Do you know what the "H" in HIV stands for? Do you really think humans invented HIV and then deliberately went to Africa to infect a random person with it?

Maybe humans contracted HIV by killing and eating infected monkeys instead of by having relations with them, but the virus definitely came from monkeys and is definitely not man-made.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....4451/
https://www.theaidsinstitute.o.....ome-0
https://www.webmd.com/hiv-aids.....hiv#1
https://www.britannica.com/sci.....f-HIV

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 1:58 pm
banana123 wrote:

Except that the fatality rate for HIV is 99.9% and the fatality rate for Covid is less than 1%. But yeah sure they're pretty much the same.

banana123

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 2:02 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Except that the fatality rate for HIV is 99.9% and the fatality rate for Covid is less than 1%. But yeah sure they're pretty much the same.

That's not what I was referring to - at all - and I think that was clear - but....whatever.

Not going to waste time arguing.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 2:34 pm
The pyramids weren't built by aliens, everyone knows it was the Atlanteans.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics