Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
When this is over I'm out of here!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 12:34 pm
I'm sick and tired of living in the good old US of A. Yes yes I know it's so good to live in a democracy blah blah but when it comes down to it the inmates are running the asylum. Literally nobody- not the president, the governors, the CDC- no one- knows what's going on or how to deal with our current crisis. And don't tell me it's unprecedented because Israel seems to have dealt with it just fine. When this is over... Israel here we come! (Watch me convince my husband now.)

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 12:40 pm
We'll be waiting with open arms!

But beware, Israel has its own kinds of crazy. We just think it's worth putting up with the insanity for the bigger picture.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 12:42 pm
I'm in canada and I think they are doing a pretty decent job dealing with it. I am also American. However I am with you op! It's time to make aliyah. Wish I could convince my husband.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 3:28 pm
We can't wait for all of you to come HOME!

Rappel

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 3:34 pm
You're welcome here! Smile Please -- if there is any way I can help, be it contacts, information, or meeting up after you land -- let me know!

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 3:35 pm
...Until you hear that we have teens...

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 3:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm sick and tired of living in the good old US of A. Yes yes I know it's so good to live in a democracy blah blah but when it comes down to it the inmates are running the asylum. Literally nobody- not the president, the governors, the CDC- no one- knows what's going on or how to deal with our current crisis. And don't tell me it's unprecedented because Israel seems to have dealt with it just fine. When this is over... Israel here we come! (Watch me convince my husband now.)

Until the moshiach comes knocking, Israel's a democracy too, and as mentioned it's got it's own kind of crazy (that said, Trump is in a league of his own). Sometimes far away hills are green. I'm in Israel and when I visited the US a handful of times, I was in awe. Then relatives living there reminded me that it's one thing to be a tourist and it's another to be a citizen. I wish you luck and hope you find what you're looking for in EY!

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 3:40 pm
Yes, come on over!

israelmama

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 3:47 pm
We’d love to see you here!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:25 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

Yeah, there's a lot of push back when people read that. I hear you.

It always makes me sigh a bit cause - it's not like there's any guarantee if you DON'T make aliyah your teens will do perfectly fine.

No one else has your story. Many teens have made aliyah and thrived. I haven't done it so I can't counter the people who say it's a bad idea (my kids were born in Israel) but I've seen

- teens who made aliyah and did GREAT
- teens who made aliyah and had challenges
- native born Israeli teens who had challenges
- native born Israeli teens who were never a moment's worry for their parents, had perfect schools and perfect friends and later, perfect marriages and children.

Ha kol bayadei shamayim!

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:29 pm
OP, good for you! We were hoping to make Aliyah in July. Besides for not knowing what the immediate future holds, my DH's business is all up in the air because of Corona. His business is how we were going to make it to Israel and still feed ourselves. I know Hashem has a plan, but if it is for us to not make aliyah soon...that would make me very sad.

ukmom

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:49 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

🤣🤣🤣 I’m the op from other thread about Aliyah with teens, boy did they tear me apart!

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:56 pm
ukmom and everyone
use your binah yeseirah

talk to people/mentors who know you and your family - get educated and guided and then make your own best decision. trust your own judgement! different answers can apply to different people and different situations. Plus that was not what you asked in your thread!!! but thats a pet peeve for another thread...I am sure people are trying to be helpful with the best of intentions but you know your situation best.

wishing you and everyone all the hatzlocha ever!

octopus

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:57 pm
I feel the same way op. Also have to convince my husband. He is much more practical minded than I am. I am the idealist. Even if Israel has its own brand of crazy, at least its my nation's crazy. Not someone elses crazy. I have fears for my kids no matter where they are. But the language barrier for my kids scares me the most. I tried to start teaching them Hebrew (school Hebrew is terrible) but really the best way to teach is total immersion into the language. Trying to convince my husband to at least buy some property over there.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:59 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
I'm in canada and I think they are doing a pretty decent job dealing with it. I am also American. However I am with you op! It's time to make aliyah. Wish I could convince my husband.

Never in a million yrs will I wove to Canada. The medical system is disastrous over there. One of my closest friends is from there and I'm constantly hearing from her abt the Drs, medical system etc

Rappel

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 12:01 am
ukmom wrote:
🤣🤣🤣 I’m the op from other thread about Aliyah with teens, boy did they tear me apart!

Yeah, that thread was out of control!

Though to be fair, it was only two or three anonymous posters whom really threw it out of whack, and they were clearly speaking from some kind of grief. I cannot judge them for their pain, though I wish they hadn't chosen to bleed it all over your thread.

essie14

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:09 am
Rappel wrote:

Yeah, that thread was out of control!

Though to be fair, it was only two or three anonymous posters whom really threw it out of whack, and they were clearly speaking from some kind of grief. I cannot judge them for their pain, though I wish they hadn't chosen to bleed it all over your thread.

Agreed.
People who have tzaar and think it's because they made aliyah with kids of a certain age are going to project that onto everyone.
There is no ONE hard and fast rule. Hundreds of people make aliyah with kids of all ages and most of them do well. Newsflash, people whose kids are born in Israel can also have issues! Hardships aren't only for olim!

OP,
I hope your plans work and you are able to come HOME very soon. We are waiting for you!

grace413

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:36 am
Hope you'll be able to come soon. There are definitely challenges here but Israel is a great place to live.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:45 am
ukmom wrote:

I was amother coffee (I think...the one who first emphasized the differences between chutznik and Israeli charedim) on the other thread.

I didn't mean to tear you apart, ch"v. I just want you to walk in with your eyes open and be able to prepare appropriately.

There are a lot of challenges that come with bringing kids on aliya and they all get tougher when the kids are teens. The more you know, the more your kids know, the better prepared you all are, the better your chance of success.

That's all.

Israel has its own issues and the less culture shock you have to deal with the better off you'll be. Smile

Definitely looking forward to seeing you over here when this is over. Heart

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:48 am
I used to think like you, until I actually moved to Israel and lived there a while. Then I realized, I enjoyed things like civil rights, being treated respectfully by strangers (not being abused by random strangers on a daily basis), earning a descent salary, not working 6 days a week, having a nice and affordable house/apartment to live in and most of all Jewish unity!

Please, consider whether you are being fair to US State and the Federal governments. The US is trying to solve this crisis as best they can, without smashing everyone's rights or destroying the economy. Of course when a State is run as an authoritarian dictatorship, where there is little press freedom, it's easy to "solve crises." The US is not doing things like tracking people via cell phone or worse yet creating what are effectively ghettos by fencing people into cities (imagine if the Germans did this- there would be mass outrage).

The US is giving small business owners grants to keep us afloat during this crisis. The US gave a large stimulus package of $1,200 per adult plus $500 per child to most families. The US is also giving very low interest rate to small business owners to get through this economic crisis (not just bailing out large companies). In most US states we have a nice, good people and personal rights; we can homeschool if we want, it's easy to find a job, we can buy a car (car in Israel are more because taxes on cars are over 100%), it's easy to open a business (or you could always start a LLC registered in Delaware if your State has a lot of business regulation), we have much lower taxes than Israel, it's relatively easy to do well for yourself and get ahead, we have low bureaucracy (you won't wait 40 minutes at the bank to be served), we Jews for the most part get along with each other and our non-Jewish neighbors, no mandatory military or civil service, we can easily move to another State if we don't like our own and people generally treat each other well.

So the grass is always greener, especially during tough times. But consider things like parnossah, finding a community, cultural adjustment, what your kids' futures will be.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating