Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
When this is over I'm out of here!
Previous  1  2  3

banana123

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 11:31 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Oy
My oldest just turned 6, we also consider aliyah. Is it too late, is he "too old" ?

Six is a great age to come.

Above 9 or 10 is a risk.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:36 am
etky wrote:
No. Unless you're looking for an excuse not to come.
6 is a great age to come.

OK, thank you!
If a family happens to make aliyah mid- school year (due to corona he will probably start first grade here), does one have to wait until the new school year starts?

heidi

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:04 am
banana123 wrote:
Six is a great age to come.

Above 9 or 10 is a risk.

It's so individual and depends on so many factors.
My oldest blossomed from making aliyah at age 12.
OP, people here are ruder than they are in the states.
I remember going back in the summer and literally being stunned into silence when the supermarket cashier gave me a huge smile and wished me a nice day.
And it honestly took me many years to grow a thickish skin (I still occasionally get insulted by Israelis)
But to me the big picture is just so so worth it.
And I am super proud of my crazy non functional government for the job they have done with corona.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:17 am
OP, Israel may be right for you, or it may not be.

Are you currently in NY? Not sure if you ever stated this explicitly in the thread... If you are dissatisfied with NY, you can also consider moving to another location in the US. If you are using corona policies as your yardstick (I don't recommend that as the sole criteria for selecting a place to live), there are states that are handling it differently than NY.

Or you can stay in NY and vote the incompetent lawmakers out of office.

banana123

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 12:04 pm
heidi wrote:
It's so individual and depends on so many factors.
My oldest blossomed from making aliyah at age 12.
OP, people here are ruder than they are in the states.
I remember going back in the summer and literally being stunned into silence when the supermarket cashier gave me a huge smile and wished me a nice day.
And it honestly took me many years to grow a thickish skin (I still occasionally get insulted by Israelis)
But to me the big picture is just so so worth it.
And I am super proud of my crazy non functional government for the job they have done with corona.

I didn't say disaster, I said risk.
Risk means you might be fine, and you might not be. Statistically, kids who are over 9 or 10 have a harder time adjusting. But of course, not everyone falls on the wrong side of the statistics. Smile
I'm glad your daughter is doing well here. Smile

banana123

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 12:05 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
OK, thank you!
If a family happens to make aliyah mid- school year (due to corona he will probably start first grade here), does one have to wait until the new school year starts?

No, but you will probably want to register with the school of your choice before you come.
Also. Until after Sukkot he's not really missing anything (other than, for kita alef, the introductory days of how school works). Everything important starts "acharei hachagim."
And after Purim there is Pesach excitement, and after Pesach the real learning is often over.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating