Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What to do??? Need books

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 1:56 pm
Shabbos is long and I need books to get through it. I easily need 2 per week. Spending 15-25 on each new book is out of budget entirely and it may be a horrible book besides. Any ideas??????? Please
Or other ideas to get through, everyone else is busy.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 2:13 pm
Do you enjoy games? Are there people in your home that you'd want to play games with?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 2:15 pm
trade with someone

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 2:16 pm
Order used books online. You can find some good deals.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 2:17 pm
Buy used, thriftbooks.com and abebooks.com have a lot of titles and most are under 15-20

1ofbillions

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 2:18 pm
I’ve ordered lots of used books for $3-4 each on https://www.betterworldbooks.com/. They have free shipping. Highly recommend checking them out!

behappy2

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 2:49 pm
Newspapers are cheaper.

There are free ebooks you can download and read

Borrow from a friend

Read the dictionary Smile

Learn a sefer

giselle

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 2:52 pm
No friends or neighbors to swap with? That’s what I’ve been doing.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 2:54 pm
check out dreamjudaica.com for jewish paint by number

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 3:11 pm
giselle wrote:
No friends or neighbors to swap with? That’s what I’ve been doing.

What precautions do you take when sharing books?

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 3:38 pm
1ofbillions wrote:
I’ve ordered lots of used books for $3-4 each on https://www.betterworldbooks.com/. They have free shipping. Highly recommend checking them out!

I also ordered from there since this whole lockdown. Books came out to $3.50 each. I don’t usually read secular books and I don’t plan on keeping them so good/very good condition paperbacks are more than good enough quality for me.
I have bought a few Jewish novels as well but I just can’t keep spending that kind of money in one shot.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 4:39 pm
We've been surviving on thriftbooks.com and some really really good board games

try Splendor, I'm not a game person (really I'm a book person!!!) but it's amazing and I've been hooked!!! (just be careful not to do borer when replacing tokens)

also we like to take walks and tell stories
or even by yourself imagine stories - like continue a book you've read in your head.
helps when there's nothing new to read

do a block book swap. maybe leave books outside two days if germs?? idk if I would feel comfortable doing but a suggestion.

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 4:58 pm
Similar problem! My friends and I started a WhatsApp group where we all took pictures of our bookshelves and now we can request from each other. As far as precautions we just leave them for each other in our apartment vestibules. The person walks over, rings the bell, we buzz them into the building so they can grab the books, and they leave. It works well for us because we're all in walking distance.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 5:02 pm
If you like Genre fiction (ex paperback mysteries, romance), you can find random lots of books on eBay for pretty cheap. You don't always get to pick the books though, or when you do it costs a little more.

giselle

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 5:16 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
What precautions do you take when sharing books?

Honestly I don’t. We’re very careful with quarantine and rarely go out but not great about packages etc...

But you can just put them aside for a few days I suppose.

Eta - I mean re the books themselves. As I posted below, we leave at each other’s doors.

Last edited by giselle on Tue, Apr 28 2020, 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

giselle

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 5:17 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
Similar problem! My friends and I started a WhatsApp group where we all took pictures of our bookshelves and now we can request from each other. As far as precautions we just leave them for each other in our apartment vestibules. The person walks over, rings the bell, we buzz them into the building so they can grab the books, and they leave. It works well for us because we're all in walking distance.

Oh yes, this - we def leave at each other’s doors.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:59 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
We've been surviving on thriftbooks.com and some really really good board games

try Splendor, I'm not a game person (really I'm a book person!!!) but it's amazing and I've been hooked!!! (just be careful not to do borer when replacing tokens)

also we like to take walks and tell stories
or even by yourself imagine stories - like continue a book you've read in your head.
helps when there's nothing new to read

do a block book swap. maybe leave books outside two days if germs?? idk if I would feel comfortable doing but a suggestion.

Thanks for the thriftbook suggestion, just ordered 3 books!
I'm an avid reader, I usually go to the library once a week for myself and once for the kids.
I dislike owning books because it adds up fast and my house is small so no room to store them, but I'm getting pretty desperate so just placed a small order. I'll save them for my once a week self care nights and hopefully in 3 weeks libraries will talk about reopening. Then maybe I can donate them Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room