Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Fill The Void - appropriate for Yeshiva teens?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 4:28 pm
My mom sent me her rental code for this movie... have any of you watched it? Is it appropriate for Yeshiva teenage boys? Thanks.

heidi

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 4:34 pm
It's a very good movie. Tasteful . Tzanua.
Very slow with not a lot of plot.
I think your sons will be bored to tears.

maof1

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 4:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My mom sent me her rental code for this movie... have any of you watched it? Is it appropriate for Yeshiva teenage boys? Thanks.

I watched this movie. I wouldn't agree that it is appropriate for Yeshiva boys. There is a lot of s-xual reference going on. I would say watch it before and decide whether it is appropriate for your kids.

heidi

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 5:00 pm
Maybe I'm mixing up movies.
The one where the pregnant woman dies?
What zexual references are there?

maof1

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 5:03 pm
heidi wrote:
Maybe I'm mixing up movies.
The one where the pregnant woman dies?
What zexual references are there?

Tbh I watched it a while back so its not that fresh in my memory... I remember that there was the underlying tension between the brother in law and the girl.. but could be im wrong. Must've watched it over 5 years ago.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 5:23 pm
It is a clean movie. The producer is charedi herself.
Appropriate for yeahiva boys,m? Sure.
Will they like it? Probably not.

lilies

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 5:30 pm
Touching the void, probably is.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 5:33 pm
lilies wrote:
Touching the void, probably is.
is this a different movie? The one the op is talking about is called filling the void.

Last edited by shabbatiscoming on Tue, Apr 28 2020, 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

heidi

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 5:34 pm
It was on TV last week and I rewatched it.
No zexual content whatsoever.

heidi

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 5:35 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
is this a different movie? The one the op is talking about is called folling the void.

I think it just depends how you translate
למלא את החלל

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 5:38 pm
heidi wrote:
I think it just depends how you translate
למלא את החלל
How? למלא literally means to fill.

lilies

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 5:38 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
is this a different movie? The one the op is talking about is called folling the void.

Yes. I thought that was the one she meant and was confused about the pregnant woman dies post.
This one is appropriate for Yeshiva teens, so I mentioned it.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 6:02 pm
Nothing inappropriate.
But teen boys are not the right audience, as others have said they will be bored.
Very slow moving, very character study driven. It's the kind of movie an intense teenage girl would like.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:32 pm
I don't think it's appropriate for yeshiva boys, sorry. I don't care if everyone is tzanua and halachically everything is 100%, but I can't imagine letting my teenage boys watch this. Besides for the fact that I don't really have then watch fictional movies as it's not a good use of their time, they don't need to be exposed to some of these underlying themes.

But I'm probably too yeshivish for this board.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:59 pm
I wouldn't let my yeshiva teen watch it. No point in that, my daughter I would.
So funny how life imitates art! A few years back the exact same story happened (well almost the same). A first time mother passed away soon after giving birth. She was married for maybe exactly a year or so. Her sister ended up marrying her husband and is raising that child as her own.
I don't understand why people would do that. It's her brother in law she's marrying!!!!! Hellllooooo!!!! Puke

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 8:02 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I don't think it's appropriate for yeshiva boys, sorry. I don't care if everyone is tzanua and halachically everything is 100%, but I can't imagine letting my teenage boys watch this. Besides for the fact that I don't really have then watch fictional movies as it's not a good use of their time, they don't need to be exposed to some of these underlying themes.

But I'm probably too yeshivish for this board.

What are the underlying themes?

soap suds

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 9:20 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
I wouldn't let my yeshiva teen watch it. No point in that, my daughter I would.
So funny how life imitates art! A few years back the exact same story happened (well almost the same). A first time mother passed away soon after giving birth. She was married for maybe exactly a year or so. Her sister ended up marrying her husband and is raising that child as her own.
I don't understand why people would do that. It's her brother in law she's marrying!!!!! Hellllooooo!!!! Puke

Actually, in this case it's art immitating life. I saw an interview with the producer. She said that she met someone in a situation like this and was intrigued. She did a lot of research on the topic and surprisingly, she found it to be a (relatively) common accurance across many different cultures.

I also know a couple like that. In this case the kid was older, about 3-4 years old, when the mother passed and then the father married her sister.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 9:27 pm
soap suds wrote:
Actually, in this case it's art immitating life. I saw an interview with the producer. She said that she met someone in a situation like this and was intrigued. She did a lot of research on the topic and surprisingly, she found it to be a (relatively) common accurance across many different cultures.

I also know a couple like that. In this case the kid was older, about 3-4 years old, when the mother passed and then the father married her sister.

It doesn't surprise me. People often bond over shared traumas. And many people love their siblings' children, so that probably makes it easier for them to step into parenting those children.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 9:33 pm
I recall the brother in law standing very close. The girl asked him to move over, seems her personal space was violated. I think I recall BIL saying something like " we could have been alot closer." A s@xual reference to the situation,had she been willing to marry him. At that point she wasnt.

So I wouldn't want my yeshivish high school boy seeing this.

gold2

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 12:11 pm
Agree. You're specifically mentioning yeshiva. There is no lack of tznius in dress but in behaviour yes such as the way the brother in law behaves with his sister in law, standing way too close and scaring her and making comments.

Personally I didn't even get the end of the story - she seemed so unhappy to marry him. Was she at all happy? Was she just shy? Please explain! They both don't look happy in the yichud room. Such a shame and makes frum people look so bad like we don't want to get married or something.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics