Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
So unhappy with the way the teacher is teaching

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:07 pm
So now that I have to sit with my daughter while she’s on her school conference (first grade), I realize that I’m super unhappy with the way one of her teachers is teaching. For example, they were learning subtraction today and the teacher totally did not teach them the method of taking x amount away. She just thought them hints on how to figure out the answer. Like 14-7, 12-6 etc, she didn’t teach them that you take away six from twelve, she just tought them that the answer is always the bottom number. Maybe I’m nitpicking but for some reason this got me annoyed... like I want my daughter to have the skill, not just rely on hints.

behappy2

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:10 pm
This may be common core. Find out.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:11 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Ap3BAl0Yc

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:38 pm
The teacher is probably just as frustrated as you, but they have to teach everything using the 'new math' these days.
It may or may not get kids to the same goal, but it certainly can't get them there if their main educators (teachers/parents) aren't proficient in it.

octopus

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:41 pm
That's the new math. That's how they want it to be taught. It confuses the kids. But that's common core.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:41 pm
This is how they teach math now. Doubles, doubles plus one, doubles minus one, counting on... It's the new curriculum.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:43 pm
So interesting. I did not know that. What’s the point of teaching it that way?

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:48 pm
From what I'm seeing, some of this "new math" is just the way I've always done math in my head (7+8 is double 7 plus 1)

I see my daughter learning multiple ways of reaching an answer and I like that.

But I agree it's probably not the teacher's fault.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:52 pm
my 4th grade daughter has a secular studies teacher that has a reputation of being excellent. All the kids and parents love her. When she gives something for homework or teaches something that doesn't make any sense to me, I tell my daughter straight out, this isn't the way I learned it, this isn't clear... whatever it is... but it is most likely due to the government's requirements and not your teachers fault. I've always been right so far Wink Her teacher will even say at times, this isn't the way I figure it out myself but I need to teach you this way as well.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:59 pm
The methodin the core curriculum is usefull when you do math in your head, without pen and paper.

It loses all advantages once you start to write... I.e. on paper, the old method is better.

when I calculate in my head, I use something similar to the new method, just by myself, without anyone teaching it to me...

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 8:21 pm
Ora in town wrote:
The methodin the core curriculum is usefull when you do math in your head, without pen and paper.

It loses all advantages once you start to write... I.e. on paper, the old method is better.

when I calculate in my head, I use something similar to the new method, just by myself, without anyone teaching it to me...

Exactly. I think the goal is to give kids a better intuitive math sense. Whether it's working is an open question. It doesn't help that teachers don't feel well-trained and parents are completely confused.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 8:21 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Ap3BAl0Yc

I'm a teacher. I teach common core. I don't teach second grade, but my kids who are older than second grade and did CC did NOT learn it that way.

I think CC is mostly great for MENTAL MATH.
Some people (math brains) do it anyway.
Some can never do it, even when taught.I
Others benefit from it.

CC will teach many strategies for one problem. So double plus one, for example, is just one way of teaching addition.

I'll give an example of CC style math.
What is49+49?
If you had asked me that when I was younger, I would have pictures the numbers lined up, like

And would have added with visualizing carrying in my head. Because"that's how yoo do it. "

C.C. is very much about number sense

C.C would teach that 49 is one less than 50... 50+50 is 100...-2 (one from each49) is 98

Will post this in the s/o as well.

Fabulous

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 8:25 pm
That’s so interesting Bec my 4th grade son does this intuitively, but his teacher doesn’t like it. He said he needs to know the skill, not just how to do it in his head. It also doesn’t help for much longer numbers and then he makes mistakes. He even uses it for multiplication
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics