Home

24/7 video hook up near patients' beds
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:58 pm
Got this in WhatsApp. Hope it's true and can help patients and their relatives.

L'toeles harabim we are passing on this information:
From esther Lerner of TORAH Umesorah
If you Know anyone who has a relative in the hospital or nursing home – 24 seven video hook up by patient bed can be arranged - family controls the system.Call 917-999-0102 For further details
Back to top

amother




Cyan
 

Post  Tue, Apr 28 2020, 9:05 pm
It is true. A group of chassidish young men realized this need and amazingly put it into place!

I know a young mother of a large family whose husband is in the hospital and this has been a lifesaver for them!
Back to top

Mama Bear




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Apr 28 2020, 9:27 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
It is true. A group of chassidish young men realized this need and amazingly put it into place!

I know a young mother of a large family whose husband is in the hospital and this has been a lifesaver for them!


refiah sheleima!
Back to top

amother




Orange
 

Post  Tue, Apr 28 2020, 9:37 pm
Yes it's true.
Was established a few weeks ago by some amazing organizations and yungerleit.
Hashem bless them.
Back to top

amother




Lilac
 

Post  Tue, Apr 28 2020, 10:08 pm
I heard it was stopped today because nurses were being too busy with it
Back to top

tweety1




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Apr 29 2020, 12:40 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I heard it was stopped today because nurses were being too busy with it

Or they didn't like it for other reasons....
Back to top

amother




Scarlet
 

Post  Wed, Apr 29 2020, 3:18 am
Ever since this program was put into place suddenly the death rate in hospitals went down tremendously. It’s amazing how many lives it must have saved. I can see the nurses hating it I’m sure they petitioned to get it taken down. It’s in place since a week before pesach I can’t believe it took them this long to find a reason to get rid of it.
Back to top

gdgirl




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:35 am
Nurses Will send out patient families visiting the hospital ( under normal circumstances) when repositioning a patient, changing/ cleaning them etc And that is considered normative practice. I am sure they would be upset by this arrangement, And complain or disable, although it does seem like the only solution for patient safety under these strange circumstances.
Back to top

amother




Pumpkin
 

Post  Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:45 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Ever since this program was put into place suddenly the death rate in hospitals went down tremendously. It’s amazing how many lives it must have saved. I can see the nurses hating it I’m sure they petitioned to get it taken down. It’s in place since a week before pesach I can’t believe it took them this long to find a reason to get rid of it.


Wow thats great. Can you post the numbers of death rates before and after. Can we see those nurses petitions so we can fight them?
I love facts. Sensational half truths and hearsay not so much.

Remember the movie Bambi. I love what Thumper's mama told him "if you have nothin nice ( ill insert "honest) to say...dont say nothin at all"
Back to top

zaq




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:08 pm
I don't see how a 24/7 video hookup isn't a flagrant violation of medical confidentiality laws.
Back to top

chestnut




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:11 pm
zaq wrote:
I don't see how a 24/7 video hookup isn't a flagrant violation of medical confidentiality laws.

If only the family can control it?
Back to top

zaq




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:25 pm
Only if the patient gives written permission for the whole family to have access. According to medical confidentiality laws, even the parent of a person age 18 or older is not allowed access to that person's medical information unless the parent has written permission from the child. Giving the children or siblings or parents of a patient unrestricted video/audio access to his room, effectively allowing them watch procedures and hear discussions by his medical care providers ,would be a gross violation of medical confidentiality.
Back to top

momof2+?




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:33 pm
I read/saw recently (can't remember where,) an article written from a daughters perspective. Her father recovered from covid 19 but was still in the hospital. He ended up dying from loneliness. She had a live hookup to his room so they could talk/see eachother, but she says it kept getting disconnected from the hospitals wifi and nurses were too busy to reconnect. She called numerous times and wasn't helped (enough.) Doesn't sound like it is a problem free solution.
Back to top

lilies




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:43 pm
zaq wrote:
Only if the patient gives written permission for the whole family to have access. According to medical confidentiality laws, even the parent of a person age 18 or older is not allowed access to that person's medical information unless the parent has written permission from the child. Giving the children or siblings or parents of a patient unrestricted video/audio access to his room, effectively allowing them watch procedures and hear discussions by his medical care providers ,would be a gross violation of medical confidentiality.


Between choosing the possibility of being neglected or giving family unrestricted access and violating medical confidentiality, most would choose the latter.
Back to top

amother




Plum
 

Post  Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:18 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Ever since this program was put into place suddenly the death rate in hospitals went down tremendously. It’s amazing how many lives it must have saved. I can see the nurses hating it I’m sure they petitioned to get it taken down. It’s in place since a week before pesach I can’t believe it took them this long to find a reason to get rid of it.

I think this hookup had to happen in lieu of visitors, but the truth is that way less patients are being admitted with each increasing day. Individuals and hatzalah are smarter now. That's why hospital death rates went down.
Back to top

chestnut




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Apr 29 2020, 3:42 pm
zaq wrote:
Only if the patient gives written permission for the whole family to have access. According to medical confidentiality laws, even the parent of a person age 18 or older is not allowed access to that person's medical information unless the parent has written permission from the child. Giving the children or siblings or parents of a patient unrestricted video/audio access to his room, effectively allowing them watch procedures and hear discussions by his medical care providers ,would be a gross violation of medical confidentiality.

What happens if the patient is intubated and is in induced coma?
Is it a violation on the part of the hospital or family? If the latter, I bet families will deal with it. If the former, it's more complicated, but I hope something is figured out so that these hook ups do happen.
Back to top

thriver




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Apr 29 2020, 3:42 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I think this hookup had to happen in lieu of visitors, but the truth is that way less patients are being admitted with each increasing day. Individuals and hatzalah are smarter now. That's why hospital death rates went down.


Yes. Let’s be careful not to bash our overworked healthcare professionals. Nobody there is purposely neglecting or G-d forbid, killing anyone!
Back to top

zaq




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Apr 29 2020, 4:06 pm
lilies wrote:
Between choosing the possibility of being neglected or giving family unrestricted access and violating medical confidentiality, most would choose the latter.


Maybe--but the hospital still has to get permission. Just because you wouldn't mind doesn't mean that everyone wouldn't mind.
Back to top

soap suds




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:12 pm
I assume there's some sort of consent form for patients to sign, or something.
Back to top

soap suds




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:14 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I heard it was stopped today because nurses were being too busy with it

I sure hope this isn't true. This device has been so great for patients and families. They deserve at least this much if family is banned from being at the the patients' bedsides at a time like this.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Video editors?
by amother
0 Tue, Jul 07 2020, 7:12 pm View last post
How to make connected beds in the morning
by amother
10 Tue, Jul 07 2020, 12:52 am View last post
Texas hospitals overrun with Covid patients 67 Wed, Jul 01 2020, 2:50 am View last post
Family video
by amother
3 Thu, Jun 25 2020, 9:54 am View last post
Help me create small video/slideshow
by amother
6 Wed, Jun 24 2020, 10:35 pm View last post

Jump to: